Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Considerations for my first handgun

Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #121
1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
1911's Tacoma Gallery
Fine looking CQB you have there, WC is right now about 6300 deep in back orders for them!

I think the 1911 can be a fine first handgun with training, I just do not think it is the best choice for an inexperienced shooter for a first carry gun.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #122
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Watching these threads is always fun. They go from zero to trainwreck in record time because no one ever considers the possibility that what is good for them is not good for someone else.

The methodology for selecting a good firearm for whatever your purpose is is generally well known and easy to find from reputable sources, especially in the age of the international webs. Similarly, information is readily available on which brands harbor what characteristics...especially reliability and ease of maintenance.

OP, of all the places you could get information on this subject, this one is probably the least useful. Here a few to get you started:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/

Go see what they have to say, and put this place on mute.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #123
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Should I buy 4x4 or 4x2? Do any of you know if I want 4x4?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #124
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
But I don't know what I want that's why I asked.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #125
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Glock 19 is always the correct answer.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #126
Btw nice Wilson..
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #127
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Watching these threads is always fun. They go from zero to trainwreck in record time because no one ever considers the possibility that what is good for them is not good for someone else.

The methodology for selecting a good firearm for whatever your purpose is is generally well known and easy to find from reputable sources, especially in the age of the international webs. Similarly, information is readily available on which brands harbor what characteristics...especially reliability and ease of maintenance.

OP, of all the places you could get information on this subject, this one is probably the least useful. Here a few to get you started:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/

Go see what they have to say, and put this place on mute.
I agree!!! Like I said In my earlier post
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #128
Tinyredtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
Tinyredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Lets just sum the this thread up with the answers

#1 always buy 4x4 given the option

#2 BFG's for all terrains

#3 To choose a first gun just draw straws, or name in a hat, or flip a coin
Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #129
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. Great gun, shoots really nice and used by law enforcement. It's one of our favorite guns. Easy on the recoil, shoots nice.... easy to clean and we haven't had a lick of problems with it.
I agree! I have two M&P 9compacts. One with and the other without the thumb safety. I got my second one from a guy on The Outdoors Trader in the black box total 3 magazines (LE version)... $400. cash.

I liked the M&P line so much I bought a new M&P 45compact with night sights (Clyde Armory, Athens, GA)... $509+tax. All fit the same Blackhawk Serpa Holster, too! They fit nicely in the console vault if you had to leave them in your vehicle....but they shoot so nice! S&W has come a long way and they back their guns for life!

Good luck with your purchase but be sure to stock up on ammo, practice often and remember is is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Some biased replies, some just wrong, and now you guys are misleaning the poor guy.

Here is THE WAY:
1) Figure out what you want the handgun for: Protection at home, carry piece, just for fun shooting, some competition, or don't exactly know yet???
2) Go to a range that rents guns by the hour and shoot one a week until you have a feel for what you like or what YOU can shoot accurately. Better still go shooting with someone with a bunch of guns that will let you shoot them, but don't shoot six in one day as you will never remember which one does what..
3) look at prices at a few shops and buy something based on what YOU like.

Forget the first 6 pages....
Thanks for clearing everything up. Now it makes sense.

That has been suggested multiple times in the previous 6 pages, but it must be different when you say it.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #131
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Know what else has been pointed out in the last 6 pages?

OP hasn't chimed in since post ten on page one. Haha.

Thanks for the almighty and entirely original/genius 3 rules of first gun purchasing . . .
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #132
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Right actually. It has been pointed out previously. that's what the post said hahah

And it was good advice, but the post under it pointed out that it had been said a few times before. There is no "THE WAY" man.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #133
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Desert Eagle .50
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #134
tank3105 is on a distinguished road
tank3105's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Fine looking CQB you have there, WC is right now about 6300 deep in back orders for them!

I think the 1911 can be a fine first handgun with training, I just do not think it is the best choice for an inexperienced shooter for a first carry gun.
Totally agree.. The funny thing is I conceal h&k p30 and sig p238 "which is similar being single action", but never my 1911's which is heavy as a freaking brick. 1911's range toys.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #135
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Any good CZ 9x18, Ammo's cheep and you can still find 30 round clips ,, just for the fun days.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #137

Easy to find em for Glocks. LGS has plenty on the shelf.

I don't personally have a need for them. I don't get it.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #138
Banned
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ITS ,The USA $$ finds anything...... ..
Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #139
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
You can still find 30 round clips huh?
======ITS ,The USA $$ finds anything...... ..
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #140
tank3105 is on a distinguished road
tank3105's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I carry the sig p238 as well. It's a 1911

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Considerations for my first handgun-image.jpg
Yes I love the p238 especially during the spring and summer. Winter c.c. I'll use my FN five seven with the ss198 rounds.