Notices

Considerations for my first handgun

Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
scout27217 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
scout27217's Tacoma Gallery
Considerations for my first handgun

Good morning Tacoma World:

I am finally working on taking the plunge and purchasing my first handgun. It's been a long time since I shot any kind of firearm so I am definitely going to put some time in at local ranges and, hopefully, with a buddy of mine who does a lot of shooting. The buddy I am referring to recommended the Springfield Armory XD-S .45ACP.

I have read quite a few reviews of the XD-S and watched several videos. I am hoping to make it to a rental range this week to go and shoot it before I buy it. The only thing I am initially worried about is the recoil of the 45 caliber in such a small handgun. Anyone have any experience/words of wisdom regarding the XD-S?

UPDATE 8/5/2013:

I went by Gander Mountain after work to lay hands on the XD-S. Most of the reviewers complain about no room for the pinkie unless you have the extended magazine (7+1 vs 5+1). Anyway, the gun actually felt pretty good in my hands. Had plenty of room on the grip for all of my fingers. I found a rnage in Rural Hall that has the gun available for rent so I will try to make my way down there this week or this weekend. Also, Gun show in Winston-Salem this weekend. I might run up there to check out the deals. Also a show coming in Greensboro later this month if I don't make it to W-S.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Juan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 91B - Mechanic
Name: Johnny
Juan Solo's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned the full xdm .40 and it was quite reliable as a firearm and a straight shooter, just difficult to conceal due to its boxy nature. To each his own, but after owning a springfield, a ruger, and beretta, I prefer beretta any day of the week. Comparatively, the recoil on beretta's is miniscule and does not effect accuracy. I currently own a beretta 92 and px4 storm .40 and I would recommend them both to anyone.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
linked2002's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ exactly what he said... i dont understand why your friend is recommending one of the most expensive rounds to shoot at a range for your first hand gun. i own a beretta 92fs, sig 226 and 228, xdm, colts (2 .45acp) and can tell you that while a 45 is fun as shit to shoot and makes a big hole, its going to make a huge hole in your wallet any time you want to go have some fun, and are overall a kick in the head to continue to shoot all day. i would really tell you to consider looking into the Sig lineup as they are amazing firearms with outstanding balance control and steady in the hands of a shooter with both large or small mits. springfield i personally feel there is a time and place for, and it is typically in a drop holster on your side while crawling through the muck. its a gun i would fill with mud and not think anything of it.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
PCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
PCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an XD-9 that I absolutely love because it feels incredibly natural and effortless in my hands, as compared to my dad's Glock which just doesn't fit.

That said it's impossible to conceal. I've got an older single stack Beretta that's reliable except for with some ammo which simply won't feed in it. Load it up with some discontinued black talons and go out on the town.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
vtwoodchuck is on a distinguished road

vtwoodchuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout27217 View Post
Good morning Tacoma World:

I am finally working on taking the plunge and purchasing my first handgun. It's been a long time since I shot any kind of firearm so I am definitely going to put some time in at local ranges and, hopefully, with a buddy of mine who does a lot of shooting. The buddy I am referring to recommended the Springfield Armory XD-S .45ACP.

I have read quite a few reviews of the XD-S and watched several videos. I am hoping to make it to a rental range this week to go and shoot it before I buy it. The only thing I am initially worried about is the recoil of the 45 caliber in such a small handgun. Anyone have any experience/words of wisdom regarding the XD-S?
Xd is a great gun, I have shot different versions of it many times. I own a glock 19, 30, 36, 27, and 23. Also a makarov 9x18, B92fsp, B32tomcat, Taurus 9mm, and some kimbers in 45acp and a custom made caspain 45acp. And a buch of other guns. As as far as a good first hand gun, u want what best fit your hands! I prefer to shoot smaller framed handguns. Some ppl have a hard with small guns, but it just takes a lot of practice . Will u conceal carry? That is another big question , big 1911s are cool but not so cool when they print against your shirt. Also, you should take in consideration your budget . 357s are badass but after shooting 500 rounds it gets $$$$. I reload 45 so most of my firearms are 45. The most important part of have a handgun is shooting it often!! You should cc a gun if you can't shoot it well! An xd would be a great first hg, but you may want to consider it in 9mm so you can learn and shoot it well ( the ammo is also reasonably priced). I'm partial to flocks only beacuar that was what I was raised on and I have shot well over 10,000 rounds with out one issue or failure (except for the occansial bad reload round). A g19 would be my first choice. But any gun is a good gun!! Have fun dude and be safe!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
What are you going to do with this gun? Range, carry, home defense....all of the above?

If you were only going to carry it, the XD-S might not be a bad option, but like others said, .45 may not be the best caliber to start with.

Pay attention to the size of these guns. If you absolutely aren't going to carry it, there is really no reason to get a smaller gun. They are harder to shoot well, recoil more, hold less ammo...A carry gun is definitely a compromise.

I love the Glock 19 sized guns, I'm sure XD/S&W/others make one in that size. Its still small enough to carry if you ever choose to, not a full size (beretta 92ish) sized gun but easy to shoot well.

Like other have said as well, look at the price of ammo. If you are going to shoot it a bit, realize how many pennies its going to be per trigger pull.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
IMO a 45 is a terrible first gun to buy. Expensive, recoil could cause a flinch that will be hard to get rid of, and its overkill for many purposes. Nothing wrong with a 9 mm, even for defense. Buy cheap bulk ammo for the range and then specialty ammo for whatever you plan on using it for.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
TBlack is on a distinguished road

Name: Taylor
TBlack's Tacoma Gallery
Glock 9mm. Perfect. Reliable and Durable. Extremely easy to clean and maintain.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. Great gun, shoots really nice and used by law enforcement. It's one of our favorite guns. Easy on the recoil, shoots nice.... easy to clean and we haven't had a lick of problems with it.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
scout27217 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
scout27217's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762NateOh View Post
What are you going to do with this gun? Range, carry, home defense....all of the above?
It will be mainly a carry/home defense weapon. There would be some inherent range time with it to make sure I could actually hit what I aim at but I don't think it would really be a range gun.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Wrong. If you're considering using for defense then you should plan to see lots of range time.

If not, buy a bat.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a glock
Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. Great gun, shoots really nice and used by law enforcement. It's one of our favorite guns. Easy on the recoil, shoots nice.... easy to clean and we haven't had a lick of problems with it.
agreed. if you want a concrealed gun, test out an M&P compact, if you want a full size try out the M&P full size. They come with 3 different interchangeable grips depending on your hand size.

I've had the compact and fullsize in 9mm and absolutely loved both. Highly recommend them . The 9mm compact is my current carry pistol.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
sig 938 for carry, range time, home defense. small. not much recoil. great gun. downside is it doesn't hold very many rounds (6 + 1).

but that's me. i'm a skinny guy. if you are a bigger guy and wear looser clothing, you could get away with carrying more gun. a glock 26 (it's a bit wider/larger) and that holds more rounds, is easy to shoot.

go to the range and ask some people if you can try out their guns. some people will probably say no, but some people will let you try as long as you're not a big weirdo. good luck!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Try www.xdtalk.com

My recommendation would be a Glock 17 or 19 and get a .22 conversion kit.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
I would buy a .40 thats the only pistol ammo ive seen on store shelves in a long time beside .38
Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
jmichael11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
jmichael11's Tacoma Gallery
I have several guns, but only 2 handguns. One is a 1911 .45, which I absolutely love. The other is a Beretta 92FS 9MM. The 1911 feels great and I love to shoot it, but if you are planning to shoot a lot, you need something that uses cheaper ammo. I'm no expert, but I think these two handguns (if you can only get two) are good choices. My recommendation would be to get a 9MM first and shoot a lot with that.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
rotorwind is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
rotorwind's Tacoma Gallery
Xdm compact is a good compromise. It's small enough to carry but not tiny so it's comfortable to shoot. I have that in .40 and recoil isn't bad. Really like the gun. If your going to just have one gun it's a good option.

That XDS is a really good carry gun. I'd get it in 9MM if you go that route.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy anything just based on the recommendations of others.

Go to a range that has rentals and shoot a bunch of models. YOU are the only one that needs to like and be comfortable with the weapon you chose.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ul...ultra-carry-ii