1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considerations for my first handgun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by scout27217, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Aug 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    scout27217

scout27217 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Mocksville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red SR5 4WD DCSB
    Good morning Tacoma World:

I am finally working on taking the plunge and purchasing my first handgun. It's been a long time since I shot any kind of firearm so I am definitely going to put some time in at local ranges and, hopefully, with a buddy of mine who does a lot of shooting. The buddy I am referring to recommended the Springfield Armory XD-S .45ACP.

I have read quite a few reviews of the XD-S and watched several videos. I am hoping to make it to a rental range this week to go and shoot it before I buy it. The only thing I am initially worried about is the recoil of the 45 caliber in such a small handgun. Anyone have any experience/words of wisdom regarding the XD-S?

UPDATE 8/5/2013:

I went by Gander Mountain after work to lay hands on the XD-S. Most of the reviewers complain about no room for the pinkie unless you have the extended magazine (7+1 vs 5+1). Anyway, the gun actually felt pretty good in my hands. Had plenty of room on the grip for all of my fingers. I found a rnage in Rural Hall that has the gun available for rent so I will try to make my way down there this week or this weekend. Also, Gun show in Winston-Salem this weekend. I might run up there to check out the deals. Also a show coming in Greensboro later this month if I don't make it to W-S.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    Juan Solo

Juan Solo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4
    I have owned the full xdm .40 and it was quite reliable as a firearm and a straight shooter, just difficult to conceal due to its boxy nature. To each his own, but after owning a springfield, a ruger, and beretta, I prefer beretta any day of the week. Comparatively, the recoil on beretta's is miniscule and does not effect accuracy. I currently own a beretta 92 and px4 storm .40 and I would recommend them both to anyone.

3. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    linked2002

linked2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma, 3 linked, 6 over custom arms, cage
    links, custom 6 over arms, full 1.75 d.o.m. cage, 35 gallon cell, etc
    ^^^ exactly what he said... i dont understand why your friend is recommending one of the most expensive rounds to shoot at a range for your first hand gun. i own a beretta 92fs, sig 226 and 228, xdm, colts (2 .45acp) and can tell you that while a 45 is fun as shit to shoot and makes a big hole, its going to make a huge hole in your wallet any time you want to go have some fun, and are overall a kick in the head to continue to shoot all day. i would really tell you to consider looking into the Sig lineup as they are amazing firearms with outstanding balance control and steady in the hands of a shooter with both large or small mits. springfield i personally feel there is a time and place for, and it is typically in a drop holster on your side while crawling through the muck. its a gun i would fill with mud and not think anything of it.

4. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    I have an XD-9 that I absolutely love because it feels incredibly natural and effortless in my hands, as compared to my dad's Glock which just doesn't fit.

That said it's impossible to conceal. I've got an older single stack Beretta that's reliable except for with some ammo which simply won't feed in it. Load it up with some discontinued black talons and go out on the town.

5. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    vtwoodchuck

vtwoodchuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4wd
    Xd is a great gun, I have shot different versions of it many times. I own a glock 19, 30, 36, 27, and 23. Also a makarov 9x18, B92fsp, B32tomcat, Taurus 9mm, and some kimbers in 45acp and a custom made caspain 45acp. And a buch of other guns. As as far as a good first hand gun, u want what best fit your hands! I prefer to shoot smaller framed handguns. Some ppl have a hard with small guns, but it just takes a lot of practice . Will u conceal carry? That is another big question , big 1911s are cool but not so cool when they print against your shirt. Also, you should take in consideration your budget . 357s are badass but after shooting 500 rounds it gets $$$$. I reload 45 so most of my firearms are 45. The most important part of have a handgun is shooting it often!! You should cc a gun if you can't shoot it well! An xd would be a great first hg, but you may want to consider it in 9mm so you can learn and shoot it well ( the ammo is also reasonably priced). I'm partial to flocks only beacuar that was what I was raised on and I have shot well over 10,000 rounds with out one issue or failure (except for the occansial bad reload round). A g19 would be my first choice. But any gun is a good gun!! Have fun dude and be safe!

6. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    762NateOh

762NateOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5
    What are you going to do with this gun? Range, carry, home defense....all of the above?

If you were only going to carry it, the XD-S might not be a bad option, but like others said, .45 may not be the best caliber to start with.

Pay attention to the size of these guns. If you absolutely aren't going to carry it, there is really no reason to get a smaller gun. They are harder to shoot well, recoil more, hold less ammo...A carry gun is definitely a compromise.

I love the Glock 19 sized guns, I'm sure XD/S&W/others make one in that size. Its still small enough to carry if you ever choose to, not a full size (beretta 92ish) sized gun but easy to shoot well.

Like other have said as well, look at the price of ammo. If you are going to shoot it a bit, realize how many pennies its going to be per trigger pull.

Good luck!

7. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    IMO a 45 is a terrible first gun to buy. Expensive, recoil could cause a flinch that will be hard to get rid of, and its overkill for many purposes. Nothing wrong with a 9 mm, even for defense. Buy cheap bulk ammo for the range and then specialty ammo for whatever you plan on using it for.

8. Aug 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    TBlack

TBlack Taco Party!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD 4X4 Sport
    Method Race Wheels
    Glock 9mm. Perfect. Reliable and Durable. Extremely easy to clean and maintain.

9. Aug 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. Great gun, shoots really nice and used by law enforcement. It's one of our favorite guns. Easy on the recoil, shoots nice.... easy to clean and we haven't had a lick of problems with it.

10. Aug 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    scout27217

scout27217 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Mocksville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red SR5 4WD DCSB
    It will be mainly a carry/home defense weapon. There would be some inherent range time with it to make sure I could actually hit what I aim at but I don't think it would really be a range gun.

11. Aug 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wrong. If you're considering using for defense then you should plan to see lots of range time.

If not, buy a bat.

12. Aug 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    Buy a glock

13. Aug 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    agreed. if you want a concrealed gun, test out an M&P compact, if you want a full size try out the M&P full size. They come with 3 different interchangeable grips depending on your hand size.

I've had the compact and fullsize in 9mm and absolutely loved both. Highly recommend them :). The 9mm compact is my current carry pistol.

14. Aug 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    sig 938 for carry, range time, home defense. small. not much recoil. great gun. downside is it doesn't hold very many rounds (6 + 1).

but that's me. i'm a skinny guy. if you are a bigger guy and wear looser clothing, you could get away with carrying more gun. a glock 26 (it's a bit wider/larger) and that holds more rounds, is easy to shoot.

go to the range and ask some people if you can try out their guns. some people will probably say no, but some people will let you try as long as you're not a big weirdo. good luck!

15. Aug 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Try www.xdtalk.com

My recommendation would be a Glock 17 or 19 and get a .22 conversion kit.

16. Aug 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    I would buy a .40 thats the only pistol ammo ive seen on store shelves in a long time beside .38

17. Aug 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    jmichael11

jmichael11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma
    I have several guns, but only 2 handguns. One is a 1911 .45, which I absolutely love. The other is a Beretta 92FS 9MM. The 1911 feels great and I love to shoot it, but if you are planning to shoot a lot, you need something that uses cheaper ammo. I'm no expert, but I think these two handguns (if you can only get two) are good choices. My recommendation would be to get a 9MM first and shoot a lot with that.

18. Aug 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    rotorwind

rotorwind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Xdm compact is a good compromise. It's small enough to carry but not tiny so it's comfortable to shoot. I have that in .40 and recoil isn't bad. Really like the gun. If your going to just have one gun it's a good option.

That XDS is a really good carry gun. I'd get it in 9MM if you go that route.

19. Aug 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Don't buy anything just based on the recommendations of others.

Go to a range that has rentals and shoot a bunch of models. YOU are the only one that needs to like and be comfortable with the weapon you chose.

20. Aug 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner

Products Discussed in

To Top