1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying first hunting rifle....

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by benbacher, Aug 11, 2013.

?

Which rifle?

1. Remington

56.6%
  2. Browning

17.0%
  3. Tikka

11.3%
  4. Other

15.1%
  1. Aug 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM

Totally agree with the Ruger M77 in 30-06. But definitely not about the 2 - 7 power scope on a high power rifle. I bought a high quality 4 - 16x scope a few years back, and like it way better than my old 3 - 9x. You don't need to use it on a high power, and should have your scope turned down when hunting. But it sure is nice to have when making a longer shot at standing game. I'd rather have the extra scope power and not need it, than to not have it and need it.

2. Aug 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    More than likely ill be getting the Nikon buck master in 4x14.5x50mm for glass. You can factor that in accordingly. The ruger keeps coming up so ill definitely consider that as an option.

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    vorticity

vorticity Junior Barnes

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma Ex Cab 4x4
    Bitchin' oooga horn.
    I use the T3 lite stainless in .308 for Colorado elk - one thing to consider is weight (or lack of it in the case of the Tikka and to some extent the Browning) and its effect on recoil. The Tikka weighs just over six pounds, while the Remmy checks in at seven and change, so you'll be getting a bit more belt out of the Tikka, especially in a .300 Win Mag.

Not that that's too bad - you carry it more than you shoot it, so losing that extra pound is welcome - but you might go with a more robust scope on the Tikka than the Remington, since it's gonna get more of a wallop. I have that same Buckmaster on my Tikka on a DNZ one-piece mount, and it's held up fine for three years' use, but I might ask to see if anybody's used it on the .300.

Other than that - all fine guns, I'd see which one gives you the best cheek weld and get that one.

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    The thing is, the more scope you have the more weight you have, and most people are not even capable of making a shot nor even trying a shot that requires anything over 9x. I have found that in any dense wooded areas 2 or 3 power is sufficient. Like i said, in a hunting situation you cant even hold a 12 or 14 power scope steady without some kind of rest so why carry the extra weight. A lot of scope doesnt make you a good shot. Hell snipers in vietnam killed people at 1000yds with 9x. Buy what you will, you can always change it later.

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    But he may be huntin' critters that are huntin' him. My .375 H&H's recoil isn't too bad, although the rifle does weigh a bit more than the average deer rifle. A well designed muzzlebrake would make a lighter rifle's recoil very manageable. With a 300gr Hornady DGX, my rifle shoots 1.5MOA @ 200 yards. Not great, but not too shabby for factory rifle & ammo. I will be purchasing some 235-250gr ammo to test out, and possibly deer hunt with. It's a very versatile caliber. Eventually I will start loading my own, and hopefully work out a good balance of accuracy, velocity, range, and cost effectiveness.

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    X2:

[​IMG]

7. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I have a Tikka T3 lite SS in .300WM. I love it, but it's a punisher. I had a Holland brake put on it. Much better to shoot now.
    On edit. The aftermarket for the Tikka is pretty poor. It has gotten a lot better in the last year or so, but not near the selection compared to the Rem700. I'm guessing thats just because they NEED the aftermarket help to shoot as well as the Tikkas out of the box.:p

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Fester

Fester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Louisiana
    NOT YET
    I have a Remington SPS 700 in 30 06. It shoots great. The adjustable triger pull is awesome. I have mine set just about as light as I feel is safe. The fact that it is just an allen screw to adjust is sweet. As for calaber BIG, lol i dont really know. In south louisiana 30 06 is big enough for just about anything i will find. Where i wish i had spent more money is on my optics. I will out grow my scope long before i need another rifle.

9. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
  10. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    More of a Remington kind of guy.. Great guns!

11. Sep 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    wildcats

wildcats Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Sport
    Savage has a huge following with very big aftermarket support. They also have a very good message board. savageshooters.com I would recommend checking it out. Very hard to beat a savage for the money and accuracy. Not the prettiest guns but I would take one over about anything else.

12. Sep 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    Haber

Haber Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Maple Ridge BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 6 speed 4x4
    powder coated wheels, bfg A/T 265's
    300 Win is a good caliber choice for your hunting region. I hunt in the Kootenays and hunt with a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 chambered in 300 wby and absolutely love it. The gun is priced similarly to the others and comes with a sub-moa guarantee out of the box with factory ammo. I wouldn't feel too comfortable in Alaska with a 308 or 30-06 even though they're the same bullet knock down power makes a huge difference when momma grizz is pissed off. As others have stated with high energy recoil rifles good glass and tough mounts are musts. I have a Zeiss conquest 3.5-9 on Talley rings and it can handle a beating.

Products Discussed in

To Top