Buying first hunting rifle....

View Poll Results: Which rifle?
Remington 30 56.60%
Browning 9 16.98%
Tikka 6 11.32%
Other 8 15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #61
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Of the choices I voted Remington

I have always liked the Rem 700s, years ago my first deer rifle was a Rem 700 Bdl 30-06, although the 06 round is not as accurate as many other rounds, it laid many a deer down

But I had a Ruger M77 in .280, I floated the barrel and put in a Timney trigger, it was a tack driver, with my reloads I could cover 3 rounds with a dime any day of the week at 100 yds, wish I would have never got rid of it, that was some years back, the older we get we learn not to make the same mistakes

My son recently bought his first deer rifle, Browning X Bolt in .280, I have nothing bad to say about it, it`s a well built gun and is quite accurate with my reloads and factory Rem core-lockt shoot pretty well in it also.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #62
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Looking to get into hunting, need a good all around Alaskan gun that'll take down the Alaskan game we have here. Not going any smaller than 300 win mag, needs to be stainless and synthetic for durability.

I'm very brand loyal and somehow I ended up liking Remington best so it's hard to get past that but I'm looking at three different rifles...

1. Remington 700 300 win mag SS - $598

2. Browning x-bolt 300 win mag SS - $964

3. Tikka t3 lite 300 win mag SS -$599

Obviously price is a bit different depending on the rifle, but if the browning really is worth it, I'm happy to spend the extra. I want this rifle to be the first of many, and to one day get passed down to my kids.
300 or 308 both are good calibers , remmington or browning I would go with remmington only for the basic fact of repairs and or replacement parts. Your going to be out and about in the woods and such there might be a good chance of a fall or something causing damage to the weapon. You might want to call local gun shops up there and see what ammo and weapons they normally sell. Just a thought I own a 300 WM and a 308 both one bolt one semi I like both. A lever would be faster reloading for follow up shots at close range but you shouldn't be shooting at close range with a rifle anyhow. You may want to consider a wheel gun to pair with with .38 / .357 out in the woods you do not want something that might fail you after it has gotten rained,snowed,sleeted, mud etc on. I like my semis but also own wheel guns just for that reason.

Cypher
Old 08-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #63
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously semi auto is cooler, but are they less accurate inherently?
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #64
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snowbrdr1220's Tacoma Gallery
My vote is for a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather in synthetic/stainless.

I have a matching pair of those kind of Rugers in 270 and 243. I also have a Remington 700 in 308.

Comparing stock platforms; Hands down I think the Ruger M77 is just a much higher quality built gun for around the same price as the Remington 700. I picked both of my Rugers up around $600, which includes $50 stainless Ruger rings. I never even take my Remington hunting anymore. Also the Ruger has it's scope ring mounts built directly into the barrel which is nice. Pair it with a good all weather scope like the Bushnell Elite, and you'll have a really nice all weather hunting combo.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #65
Huge Member
Eddie Van is on a distinguished road

Navy: E2 Driver
Eddie Van's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
Knockdown power is important, but so is range. What ranges do you expect/anticipate to shoot the majority of your game???

Taylor your weapon to the target and the range, then if you can, shoot what you "think" you might like (borrow a friends) at the ranges of your intended target.

You also hit on another point......ammunition availability and cost.

For a basic all around rifle, I like your suggestion of a .45-70 lever action, no scope needed (just something else to get dicked up)
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Ruger M77 Hawkeye in stainless, 30-06 cal, doesnt kick the shit out of ya, kill anything in the world, ammo is available at any mom and pop hunting shack across the unitedstates and cheap to shoot. Slap a 2-7 power scope of your choice and you have a all american hunting machine. The reason i say 2-7 power is the lower the power the more steady the cross hairs. To much power and you will be shaking all over the place.

FWIW the Marlin guide gun in 45/70 is a awsome gun, accurate with good peep sights out to 75yds or so. Most people cant shoot it very accurately even that far. Its a beast though and makes a good truck, hiking gun ect.
...and this.

These guys have hunted before, also don't leave Savage out of your trade study and save some $ to buy good glass (someone said it above)
Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #66
Thomas Jefferson is on a distinguished road
Name: Derrick
Thomas Jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing can beat a Remington 700 when it comes to the perfomance and the price. I have mine in a .308 Winchester
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #67
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
As for the caliber. I'd personally pick 308 or 30-06 over a 300 WM, and probably 30-06 for Alaska hunting. It should be both easier to find and less expensive with plenty of knock down power for large moose and bear.

As for the semi auto accuracy, you can probably get an accurate semi but will pay a lot more and have to go top of the line everything. It's dependability that I would be more worried about with a semi auto, and the action freezing up on you. I'd recommend a bolt action rifle for hunting, it's the most reliable and accurate. That's what 3 out of my 4 hunting rifles are. There's a reason military snipers all use bolt actions.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #68
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the Remi 300, why isn't a 7MM mag an option? My Weatherby was $350 used I think and it's never let me down at 300+ yds.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #69
Quote:
Ruger M77 Hawkeye in stainless, 30-06 cal, doesnt kick the shit out of ya, kill anything in the world, ammo is available at any mom and pop hunting shack across the unitedstates and cheap to shoot. Slap a 2-7 power scope of your choice and you have a all american hunting machine. The reason i say 2-7 power is the lower the power the more steady the cross hairs. To much power and you will be shaking all over the place.

FWIW the Marlin guide gun in 45/70 is a awsome gun, accurate with good peep sights out to 75yds or so. Most people cant shoot it very accurately even that far. Its a beast though and makes a good truck, hiking gun ect.

Totally agree with the Ruger M77 in 30-06. But definitely not about the 2 - 7 power scope on a high power rifle. I bought a high quality 4 - 16x scope a few years back, and like it way better than my old 3 - 9x. You don't need to use it on a high power, and should have your scope turned down when hunting. But it sure is nice to have when making a longer shot at standing game. I'd rather have the extra scope power and not need it, than to not have it and need it.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #70
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
More than likely ill be getting the Nikon buck master in 4x14.5x50mm for glass. You can factor that in accordingly. The ruger keeps coming up so ill definitely consider that as an option.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #71
Junior Barnes
vorticity is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
vorticity's Tacoma Gallery
I use the T3 lite stainless in .308 for Colorado elk - one thing to consider is weight (or lack of it in the case of the Tikka and to some extent the Browning) and its effect on recoil. The Tikka weighs just over six pounds, while the Remmy checks in at seven and change, so you'll be getting a bit more belt out of the Tikka, especially in a .300 Win Mag.

Not that that's too bad - you carry it more than you shoot it, so losing that extra pound is welcome - but you might go with a more robust scope on the Tikka than the Remington, since it's gonna get more of a wallop. I have that same Buckmaster on my Tikka on a DNZ one-piece mount, and it's held up fine for three years' use, but I might ask to see if anybody's used it on the .300.

Other than that - all fine guns, I'd see which one gives you the best cheek weld and get that one.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #72
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
The thing is, the more scope you have the more weight you have, and most people are not even capable of making a shot nor even trying a shot that requires anything over 9x. I have found that in any dense wooded areas 2 or 3 power is sufficient. Like i said, in a hunting situation you cant even hold a 12 or 14 power scope steady without some kind of rest so why carry the extra weight. A lot of scope doesnt make you a good shot. Hell snipers in vietnam killed people at 1000yds with 9x. Buy what you will, you can always change it later.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #73
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good lord, he's not hunting elephant! I dont know how much experience with rifles the OP has, but most people shoot a smaller caliber much more accurate, especially in a hunting situation, therfore i would choose to be a little under gunned and be dead eye accurate than tote a cannon that your scared of. A lighter rig also if your gonna be carrying it all day.
But he may be huntin' critters that are huntin' him. My .375 H&H's recoil isn't too bad, although the rifle does weigh a bit more than the average deer rifle. A well designed muzzlebrake would make a lighter rifle's recoil very manageable. With a 300gr Hornady DGX, my rifle shoots 1.5MOA @ 200 yards. Not great, but not too shabby for factory rifle & ammo. I will be purchasing some 235-250gr ammo to test out, and possibly deer hunt with. It's a very versatile caliber. Eventually I will start loading my own, and hopefully work out a good balance of accuracy, velocity, range, and cost effectiveness.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #74
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
50. cal
X2:

Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #75
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Tikka T3 lite SS in .300WM. I love it, but it's a punisher. I had a Holland brake put on it. Much better to shoot now.
On edit. The aftermarket for the Tikka is pretty poor. It has gotten a lot better in the last year or so, but not near the selection compared to the Rem700. I'm guessing thats just because they NEED the aftermarket help to shoot as well as the Tikkas out of the box.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #76
Fester is on a distinguished road
Name: Roy
Fester's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
1. Remington 700 300 win mag SS - $598
I have a Remington SPS 700 in 30 06. It shoots great. The adjustable triger pull is awesome. I have mine set just about as light as I feel is safe. The fact that it is just an allen screw to adjust is sweet. As for calaber BIG, lol i dont really know. In south louisiana 30 06 is big enough for just about anything i will find. Where i wish i had spent more money is on my optics. I will out grow my scope long before i need another rifle.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #77
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Alaska Hunt

Would like to know the rest of the story...........

http://www.ktvn.com/story/23163404/h...a-bear-mauling
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #78
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
More of a Remington kind of guy.. Great guns!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #79
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
Savage has a huge following with very big aftermarket support. They also have a very good message board. savageshooters.com I would recommend checking it out. Very hard to beat a savage for the money and accuracy. Not the prettiest guns but I would take one over about anything else.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #80
Haber is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
Haber's Tacoma Gallery
300 Win is a good caliber choice for your hunting region. I hunt in the Kootenays and hunt with a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 chambered in 300 wby and absolutely love it. The gun is priced similarly to the others and comes with a sub-moa guarantee out of the box with factory ammo. I wouldn't feel too comfortable in Alaska with a 308 or 30-06 even though they're the same bullet knock down power makes a huge difference when momma grizz is pissed off. As others have stated with high energy recoil rifles good glass and tough mounts are musts. I have a Zeiss conquest 3.5-9 on Talley rings and it can handle a beating.