View Poll Results: Which rifle?
Remington 30 56.60%
Browning 9 16.98%
Tikka 6 11.32%
Other 8 15.09%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Buying first hunting rifle....

Looking to get into hunting, need a good all around Alaskan gun that'll take down the Alaskan game we have here. Not going any smaller than 300 win mag, needs to be stainless and synthetic for durability.

I'm very brand loyal and somehow I ended up liking Remington best so it's hard to get past that but I'm looking at three different rifles...

1. Remington 700 300 win mag SS - $598

2. Browning x-bolt 300 win mag SS - $964

3. Tikka t3 lite 300 win mag SS -$599

Obviously price is a bit different depending on the rifle, but if the browning really is worth it, I'm happy to spend the extra. I want this rifle to be the first of many, and to one day get passed down to my kids.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Herpaderpaderp
Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Link? Always liked lever action, not sure if there's a practicality difference when hunting between the bolt and lever though... Enlighten?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Link? Always liked lever action, not sure if there's a practicality difference when hunting between the bolt and lever though... Enlighten?
Lever makes you feel like a cowboy.

In reality Ben you'll be plenty happy with that Remington. What's your intended target? Moose, sheep, or bear?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
30/30 lever action

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...rfire/336c.asp

Mine has been in our family for like 40+ years already and it's the only rifle I use. From deer season to spotlighting for hogs.

/thread. Great bush gun, packs a helluva punch and accurate to 150 yards with a good scope
Umm... He said Alaskan game so I'm assuming he's going to be in stuff bigger than deer. 30/30 won't stand a chance against a moose or bear or whatever other crazy ass animals they have up there.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
6 shots, don't have to take your eye off the target to reload, quicker reload, and cool factor lol. I'm not a huge gun nut but these are all my personal opinions/experiences
Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
6 shots, don't have to take your eye off the target to reload, quicker reload, and cool factor lol. I'm not a huge gun nut but these are all my personal opinions/experiences
How many animals have you shot and gotten to take than many shots on?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Purveyor of Fun

Going for moose and caribou on the 11th of next month. First hunt ever. Stoked for sure. This will be for next years purchase, and yeah, I need a one shot kill. One of my hunting buddies is bringing his 416 Taylor just to see what it does. But like I said in the OP, 300 win mag is as small a caliber as I'd go.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
1. There is no cool factor in Alaska - except for trucks.
2. 30/30 is not practical for Alaska.
3. You want one shot, one kill. Reloading means you either missed or wounded the animal, both of which can lead to a very unhappy moose/bear.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
How many animals have you shot and gotten to take than many shots on?
Im a Texan. That should answer your question lol
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Purveyor of Fun

If I get a brush gun (and I'd like to) it'll be a marlin 45/70 lever action. Always wanted one of those. Up here they call it the Alaskan copilot, tried and true.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
1. There is no cool factor in Alaska - except for trucks.
2. 30/30 is not practical for Alaska.
3. You want one shot, one kill. Reloading means you either missed or wounded the animal, both of which can lead to a very unhappy moose/bear.
Good point. I've never hunted in Alaska nor hunted Big game

I forgot how big the animals get up there. My apologies. Il shut up and learn now
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun

For the moose to be legal the rack has to be at least 5 feet wide......that's as SMALL as it can be.....5 feet. So yeah, big critters up here kase haha
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
If I get a brush gun (and I'd like to) it'll be a marlin 45/70 lever action. Always wanted one of those. Up here they call it the Alaskan copilot, tried and true.
Despite my too small of a caliber recommendation earlier, I will say that my marlin is a brute. It's been hit against trees, dropped out of deer stands as fallen off trucks a multitude of times and never failed
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
For the moose to be legal the rack has to be at least 5 feet wide......that's as SMALL as it can be.....5 feet. So yeah, big critters up here kase haha
Jesus Christ... Rack size here minimum is like 13 inches..

Yep I'm learning tonight lol
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
Superior Member

Quote:
I thought it was 50"?

Either way we're still talking about a 1/2 ton+ animal.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going for moose and caribou on the 11th of next month. First hunt ever. Stoked for sure. This will be for next years purchase, and yeah, I need a one shot kill. One of my hunting buddies is bringing his 416 Taylor just to see what it does. But like I said in the OP, 300 win mag is as small a caliber as I'd go.
50. cal
Old 08-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
Superior Member

Quote:
I also just realized I still haven't mailed your tumbler. Crap. I'm sorry. I'll do it right after work tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
I thought it was 50"?

Either way we're still talking about a 1/2 ton+ animal.
Yep, remembered '5' and then got confused about how many inches were in five feet. Shut up I'm sick okay.

And no worries on the lock, it's nice having the ventilation.