Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Which camp knife to buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camp Knife Would You Get?
ESEE 6 5 19.23%
Ontario RAT-7 5 19.23%
TOPS Steel Eagle 1 3.85%
KA-BAR BK9 Combat Bowie 5 19.23%
TOPS Condor Alert 0 0%
ESEE Junglas 2 7.69%
Kershaw Camp 10 3 11.54%
Other 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RattleSnake44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
ESEE-5.

1/4" thick with a square spine, solid for batonning.
Scales also have a "divot" to use as an upper bearing for a bow drill.

I've got both the -5 and the -6... the -5 is much more solid.
I second the ESEE Rat-5. I've carried this thing for a few years now. It's beefy and dependable, it's good steel but easily sharpened in the field. The only con is the steel, it requires care. Regular cleaning and oiling. Scrap the crappy nylon sheath that comes with it. Find someone to make you a good kydex sheath instead.

Another solid choice would be the DPx Gear Hest. It's a solid survival/Camp knife as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Becker for truck and camp.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
True knife converts laugh at me all the time, but I'll profess:

I spent $25 on a Glock Field Knife.

It's hell to get it sharp (Spring Steel), but holds it's edge great after all the effort.
It rusts if you don't keep her oiled.
The sheath leaves something to be desired.

But, dangit, I can not stop making it my go-to camp knife. I just can't fault the thing no matter how much I want to try. For the price, it's a steal.

Looking at your pedigree, you've selected better options, but I just had to throw my 2 bits in. I love to hate the Glock Field Knife.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post

It's hell to get it sharp (Spring Steel), but holds it's edge great after all the effort.

But, dangit, I can not stop making it my go-to camp knife. I just can't fault the thing no matter how much I want to try. For the price, it's a steal.

Looking at your pedigree, you've selected better options, but I just had to throw my 2 bits in. I love to hate the Glock Field Knife.

Laughs at you..
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleSnake44 View Post
I second the ESEE Rat-5. I've carried this thing for a few years now. It's beefy and dependable, it's good steel but easily sharpened in the field. The only con is the steel, it requires care. Regular cleaning and oiling. Scrap the crappy nylon sheath that comes with it. Find someone to make you a good kydex sheath instead.

Another solid choice would be the DPx Gear Hest. It's a solid survival/Camp knife as well.
do you mean the ESEE 5 or the Ontario rat-5?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i went lower. i have a $12 Mora Companion knife in my truck. the thing is sometimes the sharpest knife i own. same high carbon steel. hones to a razor. first time my brother used his to debone a trout, he looked at me and said, "how much was this thing?". (i got him one as well).

now i have a few. one in my each hunting pack, etc.

if i am in my truck hunting..i carry a vintage Forgecraft, high carbon steel, butcher knife in my truck. i pulled an elk apart, into nice steaks and roast with it. the knife is awesome..i paid $5 bucks for it an an antique sale.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post

Laughs at you..
Someone always does!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the 6 but ment junglas. You can't beat Esees warranty I wouldnt buy any other brand! You cut it in half with a plasma cutter and send her in they will send you a new one no questions asked!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Gerber camp axe with the longer handle, not the short one. Sharpen it up good. Or a gerber bear griles parang. I have the Gerber camp axe with like a 15" handle and love it. Then a good knife to carry for defense and whatever.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #31
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Someone always does!
Doesn't matter. Best avatar on TW hands down.

x3 on the ESEE-5. I actually didn't really "like it" in hand but I can't fault it on quality. I have to hold a knife before buying but the -5 was tempting (buddy had one back in the Corps).
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Someone always does!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

I have a TOPS Roughneck (not because I thought it was useful, but because it was free). It seems to be a good quality knife minus the facts of its dimensions. Has anyone experienced any of TOPS other knives?

I'm starting to lean towards the ESEE 5 and TOPS Steel Eagle 107E mainly because they are both .25" thick but the tops because it has just that little extra length on it and because of the clip point helps when splitting kindling into pencil size pieces so you aren't pushing the wood into a full edge risking cutting your self.

I might even get the ESEE first and see if it isn't enough then get the other as a second option.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RattleSnake44's Tacoma Gallery
I actually meant the Ontario Rat 5. Designed by Randall but manufactured by Ontario.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
TOPS has better ergos for me personally. Any local place you can fiddle with both?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
Bad Spuller

Quote:
I actually meant the Ontario Rat 5. Designed by Randall but manufactured by Ontario.
Different Randall than Randall made knives in Orlando fl correct? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Made_Knives
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
TOPS has better ergos for me personally. Any local place you can fiddle with both?
Not that I know of other wise I would probably have one already. i hate buying things online that require you to physically try it.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #38
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine came with Kydex.
I bought the add-on part to hold an Altoid's tin with firesteel and other simple goodies.

Attached Thumbnails
Which camp knife to buy?-esee5.jpg  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #39
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Different Randall than Randall made knives in Orlando fl correct? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Made_Knives
Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin of ESEE/Randall's Adventure Training.

The Ontario designs are similar but cost half their ESEE counterparts.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #40
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin of ESEE/Randall's Adventure Training.

The Ontario designs are similar but cost half their ESEE counterparts.
Ok.., thanks! It's been driving me nuts.. Because I keep hearing about Randall designed knives... But I hasn't been able to pin it down. I knew it wasn't if the Bo Randall group