Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Which camp knife to buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camp Knife Would You Get?
ESEE 6 5 19.23%
Ontario RAT-7 5 19.23%
TOPS Steel Eagle 1 3.85%
KA-BAR BK9 Combat Bowie 5 19.23%
TOPS Condor Alert 0 0%
ESEE Junglas 2 7.69%
Kershaw Camp 10 3 11.54%
Other 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #41
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I went and ordered the ESEE 5 Plain edge black with sheath $166.95.

If it doesn't quit meet my expectations I will go with the TOPS next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin of ESEE/Randall's Adventure Training.

The Ontario designs are similar but cost half their ESEE counterparts.
Imposters!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #42
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
I voted "other". Schrade SCHF9 Extreme Survival Knife. Check out the reviews of this knife. Costs about $50 Sweet knife
Old 08-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #43
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Ka-Bar Becker BK9, and I would not recommend it.

It is rather large and cumbersome, and doesn't hold an edge particularly as well as others.

For the price, it's a good knife. Especially with the detail knife that it usually comes with. But the sheath belt loop doesn't fit around a standard military pistol belt, and when I wear it, it stretches from hip to knee. And I'm 6'-4".

If I were to go back, for the price I'd get the BK-7.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #44
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
The Gerber LMF has done me really well and can be picked up fairly cheap. Nice quality made in USA knife with a price tag that allows to have a spare.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #45
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

The order for the ESEE 5 fell through because of credit card fraud froze my account before they processed the order, I still plan on getting the ESEE 5 for now and will replace the order soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #46
tam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tam
tam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin of ESEE/Randall's Adventure Training.

The Ontario designs are similar but cost half their ESEE counterparts.
Ontario's don't have the ESEE warranty afaik.

I've been thinking about picking up one of these knives by KOA:
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/store.asp?c=10
Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #47
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Taco View Post
The order for the ESEE 5 fell through because of credit card fraud froze my account before they processed the order
That sucks, but glad they caught it before you got taken for a shitload.

Buddy got taken for over 2500 in fuel purchases before they locked the account.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #48
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Fuck. What card company?

When I bought my MacBook my bank called to verify the purchase literally 3 minutes after my card was swiped. I hadn't crawled through the Apple store crowd before my cell started ringing.

Love that kind of service.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #49
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Fuck. What card company?

When I bought my MacBook my bank called to verify the purchase literally 3 minutes after my card was swiped. I hadn't crawled through the Apple store crowd before my cell started ringing.

Love that kind of service.
Not sure which card he had... this was 15 years ago though, things weren't as tight as they are now.
He's a stock broker with Smith Barney, which is a Citi company, but I've seen him use cards that are not Citi.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #50
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using an Ontario USMC bayonet that a friend gave me years ago. I camp maybe twice a month during the winter and the thing has never let me down.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #51
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #53
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
what are you guys calling a camp knife? just something laying around to spread nutella on your fire pit toasted bagel..cutting cheese and salami off of a log?

i use a $5, antique forgecraft butcher knife. i've flipped pancakes with thing..and dug out hunks of meat from vats of fry oil. i cut an elk up with that thing on a plastic covered picnic table. glad there wasnt any kids around.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #54
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
here.

abused and still working..i bet it is from the 50's.
Attached Thumbnails
Which camp knife to buy?-forgecraft1.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
what are you guys calling a camp knife? just something laying around to spread nutella on your fire pit toasted bagel..cutting cheese and salami off of a log?

i use a $5, antique forgecraft butcher knife. i've flipped pancakes with thing..and dug out hunks of meat from vats of fry oil. i cut an elk up with that thing on a plastic covered picnic table. glad there wasnt any kids around.
Camp/international war on terror knife.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post

Something to baton wood, start a fire with, light chopping, like a small conifer branch to make bedding to sleep on and maybe clean larger game. I don't know what your talking about all this nutella, bagels, pancakes, fry oil and picnic tables...?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #57
Quote:
Something to baton wood, start a fire with, light chopping, like a small conifer branch to make bedding to sleep on and maybe clean larger game. I don't know what your talking about all this nutella, bagels, pancakes, fry oil and picnic tables...?
Done all that. My camps run the full spectrum of comforts.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #58
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Something to baton wood, start a fire with, light chopping, like a small conifer branch to make bedding to sleep on and maybe clean larger game.
While it's nice to have a knife that's able to do all those things, a hatchet may be better suited to your needs?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #59
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
While it's nice to have a knife that's able to do all those things, a hatchet may be better suited to your needs?

a good knife can do all of those things.. without any damage.. a hatchet would be a lot more to carry around.