Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Which camp knife to buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camp Knife Would You Get?
ESEE 6 5 19.23%
Ontario RAT-7 5 19.23%
TOPS Steel Eagle 1 3.85%
KA-BAR BK9 Combat Bowie 5 19.23%
TOPS Condor Alert 0 0%
ESEE Junglas 2 7.69%
Kershaw Camp 10 3 11.54%
Other 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Which camp knife to buy?

As some of you might know the quest for the perfect knife never ends. I am currently in the market for a solid camp knife that I will be able to baton wood, split kindling, start a camp fire with a ferro rod, and the occasional bush whacking. Just an all around good survival knife.

I have come up with the following 7 knives starting at 6.5" up to 10". I don't want to go any bigger then 10" or else it would start to become cumbersome to carry around on a small pack or B.O.B.

So starting from smallest to largest:
ESEE 6

Ontario RAT-7

TOPS Steel Eagle 107E

Ka-Bar BK9 Combat Bowie

TOPS Condor Alert

ESEE Junglas

Kershaw Camp 10

Other suggestions are welcome but please give specifics as to why you recommend it, as in you own and use it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go over 6... Just gets too big to be handy.
How much care will you take of it? Because the type of steel will be dependent on that.
Same thing with sharpening..
From a quick look.. All of those knives are coated... That coating will come off with use.. So the type of use, and care you are planning to take of it will be a factor in what kind of steel
Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno man - for your stated purpose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-BUCK-U-...-/310724458971

If' I'm splitting/cutting wood, I'm using a hatchet, not my knife.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Then look for something with carbon steel. Those are big blades.. They will be a pain in the ass to sharpen. Carbon steel will hold an edge better.. But must be taken care of.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
why not get a smaller parang for all these chores, along with a better knife. i get having one that can do it all but if you ever start hunting while your outdoors a big knife that can do all of that is gonna be hell skinning animals/cutting meat. imo

this is what i always carry outdoors anyways. strap the parang in the sheath to the outside of my pack with the knife on the belt.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

I'm used to taking care of a 1095 Carbon Steel Air Force Survival Knife like nobodies business. I used one A LOT before and always thought it could be just a little longer and a much better build (the handle would start to bend when we would baton wood for kindling)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
SUPER MOD

^ agreed. Look at the ka bar Bk 2
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06indigoink View Post
why not get a smaller parang for all these chores, along with a better knife. i get having one that can do it all but if you ever start hunting while your outdoors a big knife that can do all of that is gonna be hell skinning animals/cutting meat. imo

this is what i always carry outdoors anyways. strap the parang in the sheath to the outside of my pack with the knife on the belt.
Thats just about what I'm used to doing but also having a Leatherman for skinning. Then I would like to have the option of this camp knife and/or a forest axe.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
SUPER MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Taco View Post
I'm used to taking care of a 1095 Carbon Steel Air Force Survival Knife like nobodies business. I used one A LOT before and always thought it could be just a little longer and a much better build (the handle would start to bend when we would baton wood for kindling)
I'm alwayse pushing these on people. But its because they are great knives.. check out bark river... They have some high quality knives.. Made by hand.. For not a ton of $. And a no questions asked guarantee. If it breaks.. New knife.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
SUPER MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Taco View Post
Thats just about what I'm used to doing but also having a Leatherman for skinning. Then I would like to have the option of this camp knife and/or a forest axe.
Ok.. U want a forest ax? Bark river golok. No problems batoning .. Slab of high quality steel. Here is mine. They have several variations including a drop point which I would like..

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr

Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for a new knife too. A survival type knife to carry in my bug out bag. Not too big of course. I agree, anything over a 6" blade is difficult if you're not really good with a knife.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Ok.. U want a forest ax? Bark river golok. No problems batoning .. Slab of high quality steel. Here is mine. They have several variations including a drop point which I would like..

Yeah I'm used to carring a 20ish inch forest axe, a bolt knife and a leatherman. The idea was to replace the bolt knife with something just a little longer (longer the 5") but no longer than 10" (and I've even been considering going away from 10" and no longer than8-9")
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goflight2 View Post
My personal favorite is my Chris Reeve Green Beret.
That one doesn't look to bad, but I'm also staying away from any serration
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
ESEE-5.

1/4" thick with a square spine, solid for batonning.
Scales also have a "divot" to use as an upper bearing for a bow drill.

I've got both the -5 and the -6... the -5 is much more solid.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #19

I'm actually already starting to count the Junglas and Camp 10 out for this particular knife due to the lack of heel on the blade, I hate when I can't take the stone all the way to the edge of it like on all the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
ESEE-5.

1/4" thick with a square spine, solid for batonning.
Scales also have a "divot" to use as an upper bearing for a bow drill.

I've got both the -5 and the -6... the -5 is much more solid.
I've just about came to the same conclusion only for the fact that they it is 1/4" thick compared to the 3/16" of the ESSE 6 and the fact that this is for the -5 and not the -6:
http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/Sheath-For-The-ESEE-5-Survival-Knife-p/h-aw.htm

If I had my way the -6 would be 1/4" and Hedgehog leather works would make one for it
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I got the -6 as a part of their Survival kit.
Got both the kit and the -5 on a group buy on Calguns... the entire survival kit and -6, IIRC, were only a few bucks more than the -5.

Was a bit of a letdown when I got the kit and saw how "wimpy" the -6 was compared to the -5... thought maybe they had a special "cheap" version to pack in the survival kits until I looked up the specs and saw it was correct for the -6.
http://www.eseeknives.com/comprehensive-kit.htm
List $217, I think the group buy price was $189.

The -5 is freaking solid. Even if you blast the edge, you could still club an attacker to death with it.
The glass breaker pommel is a nice touch.