Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help me choose a 1911

Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #181
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
To be quite frank, I have shot 1911s longer than you've been on this earth.
Thanks for weighing in on the subject. Whenever I think of handgun experts, Canada always comes to mind.
To be quite frank, the fact that I pointed out that SA imports some of their 1911 forgings does seem to enlighten a few on here...Clearly not you.
You also seem to have a real grasp of how many rounds I've put downrange from said IMBEL(not to be confused with a Brazilian manufacturer). You infer that ownership is more important than actual experience at the range or course of fire. Not sure where you get that idea. You also infer that I don't like them. Not sure where you got that idea, either.
So how about you allow me to state what I know from first-hand experience, and I will not point out how you corrected me on Brazilian originated Springers, or how many rounds I've shot thru Brazilian-originated Springers....
None of your wisdom was read since you apparently think I live in Canada. Comprehension is key, which is further reinforcement that this is a waste of time, among other reasons I won't bother pointing out.

What else could CA stand for..
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #183
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Colt rail gun or Remington R1, or anything Sig sauer.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #184
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
i was under the impression that all springers are forged in brazil.

some(higher end springers) were finished and assembled in the US which will bare the made in genesso IL markings.

nothing wrong with IMBEL.

never had issues in my milspec minus shooting some very corroded ammo that didnt fire lol.

friend has a GI model that has some issues with hollow points but runs perfect with ball.

then he changed his recoil spring and all was well.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #185
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
My 1911 is US made...no Brazilian!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #186
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yes assembled and finished in the US

but forged in brazil.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #187
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Even though it has the IL stamp? huh.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #189

mine has a IL stamp....
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #190

the forgings are from imbel but they are cut and finished here in the us in the custom shop for all the high end springers like the operators, trp, etc...
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Good to know.

a lot of people dont realize is that springfield armory isnt the same springfield from back in the day.

nothing wrong with stuff from imbel.

i think they make FALs too.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #193
Even Firemen Need Heroes...
ClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
ClemsonMGM's Tacoma Gallery
SO OP, which one did you end up with?

Colt Commander Series 80 here..

Had a SA GI champion...
Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #194
X moked U is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
X moked U's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post

I Prefer my MC Operator
this is beautiful! how much are these runnin?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #195
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
i was under the impression that all springers are forged in brazil.

some(higher end springers) were finished and assembled in the US which will bare the made in genesso IL markings.

nothing wrong with IMBEL.

never had issues in my milspec minus shooting some very corroded ammo that didnt fire lol.

friend has a GI model that has some issues with hollow points but runs perfect with ball.

then he changed his recoil spring and all was well.
This is true.
And IMBEL is known for making quality forgings.

To the OP,
The 1911 is a platform I would not cut corners on, I personally would recommend a Dan Wesson, but know that there are many factors and it depends on what you want to do with the gun and what you want to get out of it. The SA Operator is also good for the money, I personally would not go anything below that for a solid shooter.

My list includes:
Dan Wesson
Wilson Combat
Colt
SA
Les Baer
Ed Brown
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #196
zonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zonataco's Tacoma Gallery
OP, look HARD at Dan Wesson. I have two of them and we will never part.
As a close second, I would look at Colt Series 70. But try handling a Dan Wesson first.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #197
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
So are they Brazilian?
Do they forge 1911 frames and slides for some of SA's offerings?
Sorry if Imbel being Brazilian inflames your lovehole.
Go "full Brazilian" and get a Taurus PT1911, then drop in a Wilson Combat magazine for reliability...

All the "custom" features for $853 MSRP:
http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=19
Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #198
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Go "full Brazilian" and get a Taurus PT1911, then drop in a Wilson Combat magazine for reliability...

All the "custom" features for $853 MSRP:
http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...crumbseries=19
Taurus is not a good gun maker. They have come a long way.. But not there yet
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #199
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Taurus is not a good gun maker. They have come a long way.. But not there yet
+1, no way would I ever talk someone into spending $800 on a Taurus
Old 09-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #200
Grey Headed Shop Teacher
DixonCreekDrifter is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: SRO before they had SROs
Name: Dixon
DixonCreekDrifter's Tacoma Gallery
Test drive the gun before you decide

Only 1911 I every carried was a Colt delta elite in 10mm. Tough gun. Never had a failure to feed or misfire. Won three years in the local action pistol factory class and carried it on duty and never had any repair issues. That was back in the 80's.

List the features you need. List the features you want. Go to gun ranges without your buddies and shot every 1911 they have for rent. Keep your targets and make notes on the target about the likes and dislikes of each gun. Compare your notes to your need and want lists. Like the Tacoma truck, it is just a basic frame until you make it yours with the mods you need and want. Some will come with the mods and pay attention to them when they are available on the rental guns. Your gun should shot to point of aim with ever shot and ever range you decide to shot at. Which means you will be practicing a lot.

The ten mm that I had was fixed sights and plain stock. No bevels, no comp, no fancy grips. I could out shot the colt python and the model 57 that I had carried on duty. So do your research, test drive every 1911 you can and make it your choice. Let you buddies say what they think, then cluster a clip full in the bull-eyes and have a priceless moment.

good luck