Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help me choose a 1911

Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #201
jinks is on a distinguished road
jinks's Tacoma Gallery
if you want a starter 1911 you could always go with the rock island 1911. made in the Philippines. its around the 600 range. like i said its pretty much a starter 1911 without spending an arm and a leg. also if you want to customize it and bring it to a gun smith it will be less then buying a high end gun and shoot just as good or even better. this is the route im going and so far I have no problems with my gun and I enjoying customizing my weapon to the way i want it to feel and look.

either way good luck in the decision you make.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #202
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
My dads gunsmith told him that he personally thought Kimber was the best.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #203
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Advantages of the standard GI model:
Non-ambi, smaller safety = Less likely to be bumped "off"
Plug and shorter guide rod = If you become partially disabled during the encounter, you can rack the slide on the edge of a table or the heel of your shoe.

Advantages of the upgraded "Tactical" type:
Beavertail grip safety prevents hammer bite
Larger ejection port
Taller sights

I bought an RIA Tactical and "downgraded" the safety and guide rod to standard Colt GI parts.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #204
Hellfire is on a distinguished road

Hellfire's Tacoma Gallery
IMO,

For the money, you could buy a Kimber and run it stock. It is a great gun, the quality control has been lacking lately, you may have to send it back to Kimber for warranty work on a brand new gun, which sucks but after the shop hooks it up, great gun for life!

Or,

Buy a Springfield and find a quality gunsmith to add a couple upgrades, if needed (per your preference) or just spend the balance of your budget on ammo.

I have both and enjoy shooting my Kimber as much as my Springfield. Happy shooting...
Old 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #205
OhioGrown is on a distinguished road
Name: Philip
OhioGrown's Tacoma Gallery
First off I will say that I am not a firearms expert but I have experience with all three major brands mentioned. Personally I would go with a Springfield. I own an MC Operator and find it to be a fabulous gun and with Springfield you get a warranty for the life of the gun. So even a second hand Springfield will have will have the same warranty as a new gun.
Kimbers are very nice guns and I've enjoyed shooting them. The one thing about Kimbers, and I'm not sure why, only come with a one year warranty. If I'm going to spend 1k plus on a gun I want a better warranty than one year.
I have found Colts to be lacking in fit and finish. I know I'm going to catch flak for this but its true. For a 1k plus gun rattling triggers and sharp edges just don't fly with me.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #206
1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
My dads gunsmith told him that he personally thought Kimber was the best.
Kimber has actually sold 1911s with plastic mainspring housing.

They should spend a bit less on marketing and put that into some parts that are not junk.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #207
1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Go "full Brazilian" and get a Taurus PT1911, then drop in a Wilson Combat magazine for reliability...

Taurus, more bling for your buck!

This years model comes standard with a bubble level so you can pop a cap anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees from vertical!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #208
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Screw bubble levels, I want this!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #209
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
lol
Old 10-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #210
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Kimber has actually sold 1911s with plastic mainspring housing.

They should spend a bit less on marketing and put that into some parts that are not junk.
MIMber
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #211
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGrown View Post
First off I will say that I am not a firearms expert but I have experience with all three major brands mentioned. Personally I would go with a Springfield. I own an MC Operator and find it to be a fabulous gun and with Springfield you get a warranty for the life of the gun. So even a second hand Springfield will have will have the same warranty as a new gun.
Kimbers are very nice guns and I've enjoyed shooting them. The one thing about Kimbers, and I'm not sure why, only come with a one year warranty. If I'm going to spend 1k plus on a gun I want a better warranty than one year.
I have found Colts to be lacking in fit and finish. I know I'm going to catch flak for this but its true. For a 1k plus gun rattling triggers and sharp edges just don't fly with me.
It's a known fact that Colt has some of the loosest tolerances and 'machining' among 1911 producers...Yet the fanboys rave on.
Here is a bit of correct information that will chap a few 'expert' asses....http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rts-1911s.html
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #212
Eternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shedEternal24k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Eternal24k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
It's a known fact that Colt has some of the loosest tolerances and 'machining' among 1911 producers...Yet the fanboys rave on.
Here is a bit of correct information that will chap a few 'expert' asses....http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rts-1911s.html
I would check your sources. In the past couple years colt has been producing some of their best pistols. They have definitely turned things around and are putting out excellent pistols with much better for and finish than colts of the past. They definitely went through a low, but many experts will agree that Current production Colts are a great investment.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #213
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I'm going to say Springfield... I have a stainless milspec and have probably 2000-2200 rounds in it. It runs like a champ. Eats everything I feed it, can't complain.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #214
Even Firemen Need Heroes...
ClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
ClemsonMGM's Tacoma Gallery
anyone know anything about llama 1911's imported by stoeger?

got a deal on one local if i want it. just wondering if i could get some input on it from you guys. thanks...
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #215
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I know my buddy's dad has one, it seems decent. And rappers rap about then...

How much are they asking?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #216
ClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonMGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I know my buddy's dad has one, it seems decent. And rappers rap about then...

How much are they asking?
asking 300 but probly gonna offer 250
Old 10-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #217
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonMGM View Post
anyone know anything about llama 1911's imported by stoeger?

got a deal on one local if i want it. just wondering if i could get some input on it from you guys. thanks...
I have shot LLama 1911 clones...they are not exactly 1911's by the strictest standards.
Decent firearm. Good steel. No bells and whistles.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal24k View Post
I would check your sources. In the past couple years colt has been producing some of their best pistols. They have definitely turned things around and are putting out excellent pistols with much better for and finish than colts of the past. They definitely went through a low, but many experts will agree that Current production Colts are a great investment.
I have posted before that I would only buy a new Colt if it was made on the updated tooling.
Still, the worship they receive is not warranted.
STI Spartan is a better firearm.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #219
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
I have posted before that I would only buy a new Colt if it was made on the updated tooling.
Still, the worship they receive is not warranted.
STI Spartan is a better firearm.
do you really think the colt's of the past are that bad? ive shot many and own a series 80 commander that im in love with and will pass down. ill agree the new colt's that are made now are better, but i still think the old colt's are pretty special.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #220
TacoMaaa is on a distinguished road
TacoMaaa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinks View Post
if you want a starter 1911 you could always go with the rock island 1911. made in the Philippines. its around the 600 range. like i said its pretty much a starter 1911 without spending an arm and a leg. also if you want to customize it and bring it to a gun smith it will be less then buying a high end gun and shoot just as good or even better. this is the route im going and so far I have no problems with my gun and I enjoying customizing my weapon to the way i want it to feel and look.

either way good luck in the decision you make.
Agreed good starter for about 500 thats for the tactical I wouldn't pay much more then that. I love my kimber