Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Help me choose a 1911

Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #41
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Ok go ahead op buy a kimber have fun. Best 1911s made ever
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Kimber Pro Tactical II and I love it.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #43
Follow me....I'm right behind you..
Steveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really nice

Army: 82nd Airborne Division/ 107th Tac Assult Unit.HOOAH
Name: Steveo
Steveoc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Steveoc
My kimber match is 12 years old...never had 1 jam or stove pipe.....bastards still a tight fit...I've put a few thousand rounds through it,. Ball/hollow points...no probs...personal choice for my life support.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #44
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Kimber is fine. Overpriced is all, and they cut corners on their part quality, namely the MSH, for their price tag.

Their marketing is attractive and the finished piece is clean. Rarely any machining marks, bevels are clean, good checkering, slide to frame fitting, barrels are good, triggers are good enough. Not amazing and not wholly better than much cheaper 1911s.

Of course I'm not basing my words on my friends experiences with guns I don't own and things I watch on YouTube.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #45
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODTRD View Post
I got a Kimber Pro Tactical II and I love it.
Always wanted that pistol. I bought the HD Pro instead and ended up selling it.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #46
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I guess I don't go shooting with my friends.

So I must have never seen issues first hand..

Yep.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #47
You are writing off a manufacturer based on impersonal experiences of other's guns and I would guess they have a handful of them?

They make a little more than 10 guns annually, so your chosen viewpoint doesn't translate in any way beyond your buddies guns. I don't love Kimber and I mention it when I want to, but again, you are talking completely out of your ass.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #48
My Kimber doesn't fire a single round. Not because Kimber sucks but because it needs a repair. If your friend's gun doesn't work he should have it fixed. Or sell it if he doesn't find it worthwhile.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #49
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
LOL at the Kimber haters. IMO 10% of 1911 failures are because of crappy mags. Kimber being guilty as well as just about every other manufacturer out there. The other 90% of failures are because people think they can run thousands of rounds through it and not clean it. Its not some janky polymer pistol. No matter what you buy, keep it clean and buy good mags. And most importantly, enjoy it!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #50

I never said kimbers suck.

I said they are known to have issues.

I've seen em malfunction first hand.

Most common issue was FTE.

Could have been a bad batch of pistols sent here. I don't know but I'd rather not have to deal with pistols that are problematic from the factory
Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #51
Are all the Kimber's you have shot externally extracted, Leo?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #52

I don't remember any of the ones I've shot having external extractors.. So I'm gonna say no.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #53
2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future

Name: Philip
2Tac0s's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Kimber Custom II and love it. Have never had an issue with it and I've put almost 1000 rounds through it since I bought it brand new in April. And the price was excellent too. $789
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #54
Kimber's external extractor design was flawed and they have been replacing those problem slides by re fitting new internal slides to the customers frame for 6 years or so.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
I don't remember any of the ones I've shot having external extractors.. So I'm gonna say no.
They should learn how to tune the extractor, then. Or have it adjusted/replaced by a competent pistol smith. That is user error.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #56
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
LOL at the Kimber haters. IMO 10% of 1911 failures are because of crappy mags. Kimber being guilty as well as just about every other manufacturer out there. The other 90% of failures are because people think they can run thousands of rounds through it and not clean it. Its not some janky polymer pistol. No matter what you buy, keep it clean and buy good mags. And most importantly, enjoy it!

wilson combat mags are the only ones I wil;l spend my $$ on.. I will shoot the mags that come with a gun, but when I take it out for carry.. there is a wilson in it. at least for my 1911's
Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #57
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
wilson combat mags are the only ones I wil;l spend my $$ on.. I will shoot the mags that some with a gun, but when I take it out for carry.. there is a wilson in it. at least for my 1911's
I run all Chip McCormick mags. I have heard good things about Wilson mags though.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #58
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Springfield loaded model, cost is around $750 or 800 and puts most higher end 1911's to shame for half the price. I ditched the ILS mainspring housing and added a wilson as well as wilso guide rod and VZ grips.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Kimber's external extractor design was flawed and they have been replacing those problem slides by re fitting new internal slides to the customers frame for 6 years or so.
Well then maybe they had the external extractors. It's been a while I've been shooting due to ammo prices.

So ill retract my statement about the brand. To just kimbers with external extractors
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #60
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
295795/cat/500][/url] springfield loaded model, cost is around $750 or 800 and puts most higher end 1911's to shame for half the price. I ditched the ILS mainspring housing and added a wilson as well as wilso guide rod and VZ grips.

you cant say it puts higher end 1911's to shame when you fill it with those higher end guns parts.