Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

In the market for a nice rifle...

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
And one for the Wife/Girlfriend

oh hell.. that is funny.. need to get that for the wife. where do you get that from? or is that custome?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Any Leupold is a good scope! Be aware that if you plan on pluggin P Dogs @ distance, the 3x9 might be under powered. Might find a variable scope that mags to 12 or so. Better than having to re-scope l8r. As for damage, look around & find someone who reloads & talk with them about what you want, they'll find the bullets that do what you want. Opinions vary wildy about ballistics (maybe worse than religeon or politiks) about what caliber is best for what animal, some say a tack driver .22 will kill anything (I agree) and others say that you need to shoot a 7mm Mag to make sure you anchor a P Dog. Get a LOT of opinions & make YOUR best choice. I too am looking for a Bolt-action small cal rifle for P Dogs & coyotes and looking at a .223 or a 22-250. The 22-250 is ahead right now as it can be loaded for better knock-down at 300-400 yds for my next mulie.
Just remember that you can find someone to reload & help with anchoring your animal if you worry about the bullet not doing enough damage.
The .223 would be better for ammo cost, you can find all sorts of deals for bulk ammo. No so much for the 22-250, as far as I have seen.
Careful to not burn up your barrel when shooting dogs in the hot sun. The .220 swift is a good example of this, it shoot sFAST! If you shoot too many times w/o allowing the barrel to cool, you can ruin the accuracy of the barrel.
Take this opinion as 1 of MANY.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
The conventional wisdom is that the 223 is inadequate for deer, although it's a perfect prairie-dog round.
I agree. BUT, that's not to said that it can't be done. The biggest question is, "what are you going to use the rifle for most?"
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
I agree. BUT, that's not to said that it can't be done. The biggest question is, "what are you going to use the rifle for most?"

Very true. Application should be a key factor in the decission. Over the years, they have made improvements in the weight and stability of the .223. Has any one heard of any one using match grade bullets for hunting purposes, especially larger game?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #25

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
I'd guess that you wouldn't get good penetration & expansion, meaning you'd have to trail after the shot more often. Although, a heart shot is a heart shot, BUT without expansion, your bullet diameter is still (.223). 1/2" off & your tracking your game.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #26
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I think you would get the penetration due to the increased mass. I would be worried about the expansion though.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Small cal...... AR15

Large cal semi...M1A

Large cal bolt....Rem 700

Best to get one of each.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #28
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Small cal...... AR14

Large cal semi...M1A

Large cal bolt....Rem 700

Best to get one of each.
Oh I agree, I think i've narrowed down my selection to the Rem. Model 700. Unfortunely they have so many different variants of the Model 700. I guess i need to go down to my local gun shop and put my hands on one to see which fits the best. Anyone have any incites to which ones?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #29

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
You may not know that untill you "feel" it. It's like asking us doofuses which woman is right for you.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #30
javajunk-e is on a distinguished road
javajunk-e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
Now your talkin! I just got a model 700 30-06 as well. put a 3x9x40 leupold on it. I love it. I dont ever have to buy another rifle for deer huntin in my life!

In my opinion, the only guns worth lookin at are the companies that have been around forever. I dont like all the new makes. Im just old fashioned.

Look into model 700's, i-bolts smith and wesson(be careful they had some recalls. old company but new model), browning a-bolts, winchester 70's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
That brings up another subject. Looking at getting a good scope as well. Something medium range. What kind of Leupold scope did you get?
Yeah, got the VX-II 3x9x40. Just started hunting and decided to get a really good rifle to start out. Now all I need to do is get a deer!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #31
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
I went to Gander Mt today any looked at the Model 700 VTR. I wasnt that impressed. barrel is 22" but I didnt realize it was that short. The rifle just felt too small in my hands. The search continues...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh I agree, I think i've narrowed down my selection to the Rem. Model 700. Unfortunely they have so many different variants of the Model 700. I guess i need to go down to my local gun shop and put my hands on one to see which fits the best. Anyone have any incites to which ones?

Get any Remmy action that has a magazine floor plate.

I can be the basis of some extremely accurate rifles.

Send it to R&D Precision or GA Precision, to true the action, lap and face the action. Rebarrel with Kreiger, Bartelien, or Mike Rock barrel. Keep length to less than 22 inches for rigidity. Install a larger recoil lug.

Pillar bed the action. Re stock to a McMillan or Manners, or HS Precsion stock.

Even if you are shooting long distances, it has been shown that a shorter, but stiffer barrel provides better accuracy.

Use US Optics, Nightforce, Schmidt and Bender or Leupold optics with mildots.

Practice, practice, practice. NATO cal 7.62/.308 is most prevalent sniper round.

JUST DO IT!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #33
Displaced Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Get any Remmy action that has a magazine floor plate.

I can be the basis of some extremely accurate rifles.

Send it to R&D Precision or GA Precision, to true the action, lap and face the action. Rebarrel with Kreiger, Bartelien, or Mike Rock barrel. Keep length to less than 22 inches for rigidity. Install a larger recoil lug.

Pillar bed the action. Re stock to a McMillan or Manners, or HS Precsion stock.

Even if you are shooting long distances, it has been shown that a shorter, but stiffer barrel provides better accuracy.

Use US Optics, Nightforce, Schmidt and Bender or Leupold optics with mildots.

Practice, practice, practice. NATO cal 7.62/.308 is most prevalent sniper round.

JUST DO IT!
I spent more time looking at scopes yesterday than I did at rifles. Man, those Leupold scopes are really really nice.Some of the Nikon's were nice too. I dont like the fact however that some of the Leuplod's don't have the audible "click" when making adjustments.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the remington 700 VTR. Bad ass looking and great gun in .308
Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #35
HardCase will become famous soon enough

Army: Medic
HardCase's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went to Gander Mt today any looked at the Model 700 VTR. I wasnt that impressed. barrel is 22" but I didnt realize it was that short. The rifle just felt too small in my hands. The search continues...
I personally like the compactness of the VTR, and I'm not a small guy (6'2" 200#), but I guess you can't please all the people all the time. A clerk in a gun shop that I frequent who seems to know what he's talking about tells me that the VTR will soon be coming out in a longer barrel version, I believe he said 26", and sans the muzzle-brake. That might make it more palatable to you.....if true.