1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help me im a moron and think I spoiled my deer meat

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 808Raider, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Aug 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    808Raider

808Raider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawai'i
    thanks for the responses and sorry for the smart ash comments yesterday i was really frustrated and mad at myself. i have learned a lot tho from this thread (obviously field dress right away) that i wouldnt have known otherwise like using different knives for gutting and taking meat and using game bags vs plastic bags. it was a lung shot so there wasnt trauma around the meat areas. and it was gutted (not the best as it was my first time) and then i took the meat (but used the same knife). you guys mentioned jerky is my best bet. is that because it will kill the bacteria and make it safe or is it too late? i was going to go pick up a dehydrator. it smells gamey not sour or funky or anything. the color of the meat looks fine i have it trimmed and on ice in a cooler with the plug open so the blood drain. i do this with pig meat and it helps so hopefully it will help disguise any poor flavor in the venison. is that good? thanks

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Aug 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    I bet the meat is fine. It just smells funky. Cut off the dry bits.

3. Aug 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    Can you eat it? Ya sure have at it, if you can stand the taste.

Should you eat it? Probaly not.

Like others have said, once it's down it's a race against time. The most important thing is either gutting the animal or quartering the meat off (without gutting). The main goal is to separate any good meat from the guts because the guts will retain the animals body heat longer thus spoiling the good meat faster.
    Also, the hotter it is outside the faster you must process the game.

Trash bags are OK. For temporary transport, like less than an hour and just to keep the meat clean. Any longer and your risking it because plastic bags will trap the moisture. Think about how your skin gets all mushy with a bandaid.

What you can do is place the meat in a game bag and than in a plactic bad (useful if its raining) and the game bag will act as a membrane.

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I'm voting the meat is OK as well. Sound like it was boned and iced within 3 hours or so, not too unreasonable at 80 degrees. If you think about it, inside the body is sterile except in the food canal system and around any area that was wounded. Key is not to puncture the stomach/intestines during the hunting or cleaning process and don't let the meat sit around unchilled too long after its dressed.

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    5 hours til debone and 8 hours til iced on an 80 degree day... Hope he has ALOT of marinade/spices/pepto.

6. Aug 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    TaKoToy

TaKoToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Prince George VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 OffRoad, 2020 cement DCLB OR
    Mostly stock
    Don't beat yourself up about it just don't make the same mistake twice. I know farmers that shoot 30 in a week and just leave them to rot wherever they drop. Now that's a shame but when deer are overpopulated you have to do what you have to do. When I was younger we had damage stamps and the game warden told us not to touch the deer after we shot it.

7. Aug 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

True, I didn't read it close enough at first.

8. Aug 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    Siebler

Siebler Duck Killing Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 Long Travel 5 lug, 01 Tundra 4wd
    TC LT Front, F67 on 12" shackle, LCE Underdrive Pulley, Flex-a-lite fan, DT headers, Super 44 muffler, 4:11's and Aussie Locker, 22 Gallon Fuel Cell, Beard seats, sliders, bed cage
    Personally jerky is the LAST thing I would do with it personally. Jerky leaves the best chance for botulism spore growth especially if you dont know what you are doing. If you must Jerky it I would 100% use a cure to help prevent bacterial growth and would probably smoke it to help kill some of the flavor you added by not caring properly for meat.

If you are going to eat it cook it well. Cook it better than game meat should ever be cooked. Itll be dry tough and probably not taste near as good but at least you dont waste the complete life of this animal.

9. Aug 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    ^ +1

I would never make Jerky with questionable meat. To be safe he should cook it fast and to a very high temp. A better choice when preparing it might be to use it for something like cheese steaks, or anything else you can make with chipped steak. He could slice it really thin, put a lot of seasoning on it, and cook it extra long this way.

10. Aug 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    hunter here gratz on the kill, field dress after game is taken make sure the meat is cool with dry ice and you be set for the day or the next.

11. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    808Raider

808Raider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawai'i
    i ended up getting a dehydrator and making jerky and it came out fine i never got sick. I have learned my lesson though. i wont chance em again

12. Aug 29, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    buzzard1992

buzzard1992 Yep

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd trd, 255/85/16 km2s
    5100's with eibachs. And 255/85/16 km2s
    In the summer don't ever leave an animal laying on the ground. 5 hours is a long time in the heat. In the winter when it's below 50 you would have been fine. I wouldn't eat the meat

Products Discussed in

To Top