Dick's Sporting Goods new store sells AR's

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
EZ Bake is on a distinguished road
EZ Bake's Tacoma Gallery
Actually,

http://freepatriot.org/2013/04/30/di....gmRuL4Ej.dpbs
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
:wileyc:

Major retail sporting goods stores are on the side of money. Since I'm sure (I have neither the patience nor desire to look up the numbers) that firearm sales make up a mere fraction of Dick's Sporting Goods total revenues, I feel confident they felt the PR move was worthwhile to maintain a consumer base of their other products.

Now that it's basically blown over, might as well start selling Bushmasters again. I'm sure the entry-level AR crowd is willing to pack away their Gadsen flags when a $950 rifle is on the shelf.
Firearm sales might make up a fraction of total revenue, but those same people who buy firearms also buy ammo, accessories, probably hunting gear, fishing stuff, probably have kids that play sports, etc etc.

By essentially saying "We don't want your gun business" consumers told Dicks to fuck off. Here in Western PA (where the new Field and Stream store is) there are plenty of competitors. Want Hiking/Camping stuff? REI & LLBean. Dunhams continued to sell EBRs, and there are plenty of smaller fitness related businesses. Plus Cabelas is only about an hour away from the new Field and Stream store, just with a better environment and better prices.

If you are an EBR owner and choose to support the people who are against you, so be it.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Bake View Post
Or...

Quote:
“In the fourth quarter, we experienced continued momentum in athletic footwear and apparel along with strong sales in hunting that exceeded our expectations. These increases were partially offset by lower-than-anticipated sales in outerwear and cold weather accessories, as well as a significant decline in the fitness category,” said Edward W. Stack, Chairman and CEO. “As a result of the unusually warm weather conditions, including during peak selling periods in December, we significantly reduced our inventory levels of cold weather merchandise to align with lower consumer demand and avoid carrying over excess inventory after a second year in a row of warm weather. While this was a prudent move that enabled us to effectively manage inventory and protect our margins, it did limit our ability to capture sales in January when temperatures dropped and snowfall increased."
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...03_1ex99d1.htm
Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
:wileyc:

Major retail sporting goods stores are on the side of money. Since I'm sure (I have neither the patience nor desire to look up the numbers) that firearm sales make up a mere fraction of Dick's Sporting Goods total revenues, I feel confident they felt the PR move was worthwhile to maintain a consumer base of their other products.

Now that it's basically blown over, might as well start selling Bushmasters again. I'm sure the entry-level AR crowd is willing to pack away their Gadsen flags when a $950 rifle is on the shelf.
...your assessment is quite plausible, ...but my contention is that they screwed over the gun-rights advocates, AND, a firearms vendor, Troy, who'm they were contracted w/ to sell their evil black rifles... Those of us who realize this, and to those of us whom it "does matter", we will vote w/ our wallets, and buy from the myriad of other vendors who don't tuck tail when the going gets tough... ...as for the "low information gun buyers", ...well, they probably will buy evil black rifles from dicks sporting goods...
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...your assessment is quite plausible, ...but my contention is that they screwed over the gun-rights advocates, AND, a firearms vendor, Troy, who'm they were contracted w/ to sell their evil black rifles... Those of us who realize this, and to those of us whom it "does matter", we will vote w/ our wallets, and buy from the myriad of other vendors who don't tuck tail when the going gets tough... ...as for the "low information gun buyers", ...well, they probably will buy evil black rifles from dicks sporting goods...
Firearm snobbery. Interesting.

Seems kinda counter-productive, though.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #26
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
Buy my firearms from local small business gun dealers. The ones with the NRA sticker on the door, the ability to assist you for as long as you own the gun and do not hide in the closet when the media knocks at his door.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNURSE View Post
Buy my firearms from local small business gun dealers. The ones with the NRA sticker on the door, the ability to assist you for as long as you own the gun and do not hide in the closet when the media knocks at his door.
If the media knocks on your door, tweet it. Twitter has taken down nations, you think it won't stop a gun grab?

*I do not have a Twitter presence.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
When the issue got hot, Dicks punted... we'll they also punted any future business they'd get from me.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Firearm snobbery. Interesting.

Seems kinda counter-productive, though.
snobbery?...

...more like staying true to core values... these are simply the basic tools of the trade in the culture war... it worked for shutting down the eastern sports show earlier this year... unprecedented...
Old 09-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
I was referring to the "low-information gun buyer," quip.

I completely understand the core values aspect, and that a person becomes more invested in certain areas (firearms, cars, bungee jumping, dogs, you name it) they become more educated about the culture of said endeavor. You learn the quality products and services, exchange information with others with common interests and grow from there.

It's is counter-productive, however, to turn your nose up at the "low-information" purchaser because the object should be to educate them -- but they have to get their foot in the door before that can happen. Not everyone has the knowledge to build their own rifle, or the expendable income to buy a $2000 LMT off the bat.

Everyone has to start somewhere. For that person, Dick's may have been the most convenient, or lowest-priced. To look down on someone because they're "not educated" in the world of 2nd Amendment politics doesn't do much to welcome new people to the fold who will most likely someday actually become educated and and ally.

That's all. Sometimes people have to figure out what their core values are before they can stay true to them.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #31
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I completely understand the core values aspect, and that a person becomes more invested in certain areas (firearms, cars, bungee jumping, dogs, you name it) they become more educated about the culture of said endeavor. You learn the quality products and services, exchange information with others with common interests and grow from there.

It's is counter-productive, however, to turn your nose up at the "low-information" purchaser because the object should be to educate them -- but they have to get their foot in the door before that can happen. Not everyone has the knowledge to build their own rifle, or the expendable income to buy a $2000 LMT off the bat.

Everyone has to start somewhere. For that person, Dick's may have been the most convenient, or lowest-priced. To look down on someone because they're "not educated" in the world of 2nd Amendment politics doesn't do much to welcome new people to the fold who will most likely someday actually become educated and and ally.

That's all. Sometimes people have to figure out what their core values are before they can stay true to them.
Nobody is criticizing the low information gun buyer, just saying that Dicks will get their sales from those not totally in tune with the company's politics.

That's how Dick's can get back into the market.

Smart buyer's can find quality EBRs for less than 2Gs at other outlets than Dicks.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #32

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

...agree, ...but i think our "beef" is more or less w/ dicks sporting goods, ...not w/ folks shopping there...
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Nobody is criticizing the low information gun buyer, just saying that Dicks will get their sales from those not totally in tune with the company's politics.

That's how Dick's can get back into the market.

Smart buyer's can find quality EBRs for less than 2Gs at other outlets than Dicks.
Of course they can. And lots of companies make sales from people who are unaware of their politics. Or don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...agree, ...but i think our "beef" is more or less w/ dicks sporting goods, ...not w/ folks shopping there...
But if you aren't shopping at Dick's, then where's the beef? (Sorry, had to).

It's like me throwing a fit over Chik-Fil-A's policies. But I don't buy or eat Chik-Fil-A, so it's kind of wasted exercise after that. Unless I want to bang a drum, then, meh. I'm not the protesting type...

All the hubbub just seems like a paper tiger. You're voting with your wallet, and others will continue to shop there. And the world will continue to turn, until, I guess it doesn't.