Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Caliber for Lever action deer rifle

Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
all that 308 ammo will be pointy bullets. i have never seen a 308 round nose bullet at walmart.

i ask again. doesnt a rifle with a tube magazine require a round nose bullet?
OP mentioned that he was looking at a BLR.
Unlike Marlins and Winchesters, which use tubular magazines, the BLR has a box magazine that allows for spitzer (pointy) bullets. Kind of like the old Savage 99's, but updated some (the 99 used a rotary magazine that wasn't removable).

Personally, I've never been a fan of the 30-30. I've always hunted either thick cover or long distances, and the 30-30 isn't ideal for either. For distance hunting I use a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag, but for thick cover I love my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. The 200gr bullet in .35 doesn't deflect off of twigs nearly as easily as a 30-30 (or my old .32 Win!) does.

Personally, I would have preferred a BLR in .308, but I couldn't justify the price premium over the Marlin. I paid $300 for the Marlin used, with a 4x scope and see-thru mounts. The cheapest BLR I could find chambered in .308 was $800, which was nearly twice what I paid for my 700...
Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Henry

Just looked at the Henry lever action in 45-70. Made in the USA, nice!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
If there's a 45-90 lever that'd be nice, but I'd guess 45-70 in a stout gun could be loaded pretty hot. 30-30 packs quite the authoritative punch. You do have to consider the law; there are caliber laws on what/where you hunt and I don't know what they all are.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #24
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
If there's a 45-90 lever that'd be nice, but I'd guess 45-70 in a stout gun could be loaded pretty hot. 30-30 packs quite the authoritative punch. You do have to consider the law; there are caliber laws on what/where you hunt and I don't know what they all are.
The 45/70's downfall is that it was a black powder cartridge. So factory ammo is usually not real powerful in fear of being put in an old gun. Handloaders can load it up a little but you have to remember that it uses a very thin walled case. I have split brand new Winchester brass with one loading before. Pretty scary feeling. Sharps in .45/120 and go Quigley on em'.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #25
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Since you are rarely going to shoot further than 75 yards, the 30-30 will be fine (as long as you have a clear path). As some have stated, the 30-30 is an older caliber, but it is more than enough to take down a deer or hog at close range. I have owned both the Winchester and Marlin 30-30's and I would recommend the Marlin, BUT I suggest looking for a used (older) Marlin. Before buying my Marlin, I decided to look at new ones. The new Marlins felt like they were cheaply made - it may have been the model that I was looking at, but I was not thrilled. I ended up buying a used one at a local gun shop. I am not sure if they older ones are heavier than the new ones, but they feel better to me. As far as I know, the only thing that you won't have on the older models is the safety. With the rising cost of ammunition, I feel that you can't go wrong with a 30-30.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #26
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Name: Sean
nyfishhunter's Tacoma Gallery
I have Marlins in 444 and 356 Winchester, Dad has a BLRs in 358 and 7-08 and my son just got a 1980s 94 30-30. Best bet for finding ammo these days is obviously the 30-30, which should be good for the ranges you described. You can also load it much hotter with the Hornady Leverevolution loads which come in 140 and 160 grain bullets. My son's 94 shoots the 160s surprisingly well. Check-out Gunbroker.com for what's available out there new and used. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #27
cfagan14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cfagan14's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to beat a marlin 30-30. Killed many nice bucks with it. Still using it to this day. I've dabbled with 6.8SPC and 6.5 swedish but that 30-30 is a kickass deer rifle in my opinion. Its light and short making it perfect slinging over your back when you long walk in or dragging one out. Its also pretty fast if you know how to handle a lever action too.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a change in Marlin quality came about when Remington purchased Marlin in 2007, and since 2010 "Marlins" are made at Remington firearms plants.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
And if you find a good deal on a Winchester 94, especially the older ones, don't be mislead by the lever handle moving side to side when opened.

That is the way the Win 94 mechanism is designed to work with some side to side loosness. It is NOT a sign that the Win 94s are lesser quality. They are pretty much dead equal in over all quality of materian and workmanship.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Savage Model 99C lever action in a .284win.

Iy was handed down to me from a LEGIT mountain man cowboy. It was his saddle gun for years and years. Shoots extremely nice. Good size round for deer or elk, but not a common box of ammo in outfitter shops.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #31
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
another vote for the 30-30. winchester model 94. keep it open sights though. its more nostalgic to shoot open than with a scope. John Wayne-esque if you will
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #32
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
another vote for the 30-30. winchester model 94. keep it open sights though. its more nostalgic to shoot open than with a scope. John Wayne-esque if you will

boom