Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Caliber for Lever action deer rifle

Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
Caliber for Lever action deer rifle

Well, this will be my second season hunting deer, and I have no rifle. My first few trips were with a shotgun, and I picked up a bow midway through last season. I want to get a lever action rifle mostly because I like them, want something that is fun to shoot around with when I am not hunting, and have always loved how easy and convenient they are to use and carry. My two fore runners are anything by Marlin and the BLR.

All of my hunting is in VA and the Carolinas, so where I hunt I rarely have any possible shots over 75 yards or so. I don't have any intention of scoping the rifle at this time. I also hunt pigs from time to time, but the rifle will be mostly for deer and shooting for fun. My problem is that most of my previous rifles have been in military calibers, so I am not that familiar with a lot of the offerings in lever actions. From what I have been able to find, 30-30 seems to be a pretty good all around choice, but are there any other calibers anyone could recommend? Any specific models? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Marlin 336 in 30-30win. Slap on a good set of sights such xs ghost sights and ready to rock. 30-30win is cheap and always available. This happens to be my favorite version. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...fire/336BL.asp
Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Taco 12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Taco 12's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend a 308 instead. It has more power and more readily available ammo.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco 12 View Post
I would recommend a 308 instead. It has more power and more readily available ammo.
Not going to start a big debate, but stroll down to your local Wal-mart and or academy and see whats more available. 30-30win or .308win. They only make the .308 Marlin express in a leveraction anyway which is only available in Hornady leverevolution i believe. JMO but dont get caught up in all the hoorah that the 30-30 is old and outdated, old fashioned and what not. Its bagged more whitetail that any gun on the planet.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
hurley842002 has a spectacular aura abouthurley842002 has a spectacular aura abouthurley842002 has a spectacular aura about

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dan
hurley842002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Not going to start a big debate, but stroll down to your local Wal-mart and or academy and see whats more available. 30-30win or .308win. They only make the .308 Marlin express in a leveraction anyway which is only available in Hornady leverevolution i believe. JMO but dont get caught up in all the hoorah that the 30-30 is old and outdated, old fashioned and what not. Its bagged more whitetail that any gun on the planet.
This ^^^

During the great ammo shortage, 30-30 was almost always available. It will serve you just fine for your intended use. IMO .308 at your distances would actually be overkill.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
PCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
PCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
.45-70 gvt

Just because.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #7

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTaco View Post
.45-70 gvt

Just because.
There is just something about this caliber, cant believe i ever got rid of mine.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTaco View Post
.45-70 gvt

Just because.
hahahaha! Correct. God, I want a nice stainless lever action in that caliber so bad.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
My Winchester 94 carbine is chambered in .44 Rem Mag. Yeah, it's a pistol cartridge. I've never failed to take a deer with the first shot using CCI pistol ammunition.

The gun is a tack driver - I can put three bullets in (almost) the same hole at 50 yards. So, the size of the round is less important, because I can get a kill shot every time.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Tom Horn used a 30-30.

(Althought the move with Steve McQueen referenced a 45-60).
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know anything about lever guns. but these .308 bullets are round nosed for the tube magazine? at my wally world, they only have pointy bullets.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
another vote for 30-30
Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
My first deer rifle was a Winchester .30-30. It's a great rifle, wish I still had it.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I was given my first rifle for deer hunting by my dad, it was a Winchester .30-.30 and I still have it. Great gun, always fun and it has never failed me in over 22 years.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know much about big guns but I do recall reading in one of the outdoor mags while waiting my turn for a hair cut that the writers favorite caliber was 30-06, ammo availability and variety of loads available were two of the reasons I recall. Outdoorlife or sports afield and a fairly recent issue, might be a good reference to look at.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
all that 308 ammo will be pointy bullets. i have never seen a 308 round nose bullet at walmart.

i ask again. doesnt a rifle with a tube magazine require a round nose bullet?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #17

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
all that 308 ammo will be pointy bullets. i have never seen a 308 round nose bullet at walmart.

i ask again. doesnt a rifle with a tube magazine require a round nose bullet?
Yes, But marlin introduced a caliber called the .308 Marlin express in there Leverevolution line that is comparable to the .308win balistics. It uses there flex tip bullet which is safe for tube mags.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
For traditional lever action styling go with either the Marlin or Winchester in 30-30 or .35 caliber for deer hunting.

But there are other lever action styles like the Browning BLR having box magazines that come in .308, 243 and such.

But heck I use spire point bullets in my Winchester all the time (custom reloads). You just limit it to a max of one in the mag tube and one in the chamber. Perfectly fine for a hunting situation.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
DD977GM2 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Gunners Mate 2nd Class
DD977GM2's Tacoma Gallery
Get either a 30-30 as it probably has taken more deer in Canada then any other caliber or get a 44 Mag as the distances you are speaking of taking a deer at, you will have enough bullet to drop a deer with proper shot placement.

Both calibers are relatively easy to find even during ammo shortages.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
30-30 is awesome, my old deer gun as a old mohawk 600 (?) in .243, i got my dad to trade me his old marlin 30-30 for that.