Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Who loads their own ammo?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
It's the time of year when your tongue sticks to stuff.

Ha ha. Always wondered about that, and seen a You Tube vid. Guess it does freeze onto metal.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I bought the 550 about 20 years ago right after they came out, I think the 550B followed a couple years later but don't remember what the improved model was about.

Loading is a fun hobby but you have to stay focused, it isn't something you do with a couple of your buddies yakkin at you.

Just like any other hobby it gets expensive real fast
A progressive machine like the 650 is much more fool proof.
Keep the hopper full of brass, the powder level full and primer tubes filled and all you do is place a bullet on the belled powderfilled and checked case in station 4 and pull the handle. Repeat......
I only had one squib and that was in the beginning of my reloading experience.
Took shell out to measure the powder and put it back in the hopper instead of the shell. Now I keep the lid on so I don't do that.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm digging the posters
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Cal...ters-8-12.html

Like I said before, I am completely new at reloading. Can anyone in a brief summary describe what all is required to reload? I would like to start reloading both .357sig and .308Win and possibly .223 Rem. I don't know if there is a difference since one is pistol ammo and rifle. Is it just as easy as swamping out the dies? Thanks!
1st things first. Get 1 or 2 good reloading manuals and read them thoroughly and understand them before you even think about beginning the process. That being said, its a great feeling finding that perfect custom load for your personal rifle.

BTW, dont jump on all of the super duper reloaders (dillons, etc.) first off. They are nice for later on. Just go out and get yourself an RCBS Rockchucker like someone suggested and start from there. Much safer and not as expensive if you decide reloading is not for you. (it can be very tedious and time consuming)
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #25
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can anyone in a brief summary describe what all is required to reload?
Scale (I highly recommend digital), case reamer, deburing tool, press, resizing dies, powder dispenser/trickler (get an auto one later), calipers (again i recommend digital), a brass tumbler (not 100% necessary), a good bench, powder (varget for me), primers, brass, bullets, case lube, reloading manuals, im sure im forgetting something here...someone else can chime in.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
1st things first. Get 1 or 2 good reloading manuals and read them thoroughly and understand them before you even think about beginning the process. That being said, its a great feeling finding that perfect custom load for your personal rifle.

BTW, dont jump on all of the super duper reloaders (dillons, etc.) first off. They are nice for later on. Just go out and get yourself an RCBS Rockchucker like someone suggested and start from there. Much safer and not as expensive if you decide reloading is not for you. (it can be very tedious and time consuming)
Good call. I'm all about reading up on something I really don't know too much about. Especially if it goes boom...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good call. I'm all about reading up on something I really don't know too much about. Especially if it goes boom...
It helps to have a friend that can help you too.
The range I shot at back then sold Dillon Equipment and the owner taught me a lot. Anytime I had a question he was happy to help. Was first exposed to USPSA/IPSC shooting by him. He doesn't own the range but is now the Area 2 rep for USPSA.
I debated going the rock chucker way but instead started with the 650 without a few bells and whistles like the case feeder that could be added on later. Not that much more cash involved and ended up being a great investment.
Digital scale a must.
Case tumbler.
With rifle you will need a case trimmer also.
Dillon has a video that shows how it all works too.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #28
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
JONNY TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Get a LEE CLASSIC TURRET-BEST DEAL FOR THE MONEY. TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR OVER 40 YEARS. yOU WILL ALSO GET ALL THE EXTRAS YOU NEED INCLUDED SUCH AS A SCALE TO MEASURE POWDER.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #29

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
I started with one of those. They are fine. I just thought the Rockchucker Supreme was much more solidly built.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #30
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
JONNY TACO's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends upon how often you shoot. I have put several thousand loads through my Lee Classic Turret with no problems.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY TACO View Post
Get a LEE CLASSIC TURRET-BEST DEAL FOR THE MONEY. TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR OVER 40 YEARS. yOU WILL ALSO GET ALL THE EXTRAS YOU NEED INCLUDED SUCH AS A SCALE TO MEASURE POWDER.
My friend had one of those until he came over and used my Dillon.
I think it is a paperweight now.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #33
HardCase will become famous soon enough

Army: Medic
HardCase's Tacoma Gallery
Finding primers is getting difficult in many parts of the country right now. It's just like the situation with loaded ammo, especially the "common" or more popular calibers, lots of fear and hoarding going on.