1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who loads their own ammo?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by MotoXFreeStyle61, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 [OP] Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Hey everyone, i've always thought about loading my own ammo. Since I am considering getting a .308 to add to my increasing collection, I figured I would pick up the hobby. I have no experience what so ever in the topic. My concerns are is it really worth it. I know that there is massive customization with loading your own ammo to get the best out of every shot. Any one have any experience?

2. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    its definitly worth it. you get the most out of every shot! every single load will be exactly the same, where as with factory ammo they will be off a little.
    I just picked up a remington 700 .308 myself and I love it

3. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Yeah, i've called around today. Tomorrow i'm gonna go look at the Model 700™ VTR. I've read nothing but postive reviews.

What type of loading equipment and dyes do you use?

4. Mar 7, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Yea I load my own, .44mag, 30-06, .308, 7mm mag.
    Cost wise, yes it is cheaper after you get everything. Powder and primers are high end items now, glad I got mine before.
    You can do all kind of wonders to a round, trimming the case down to cleaning (polish) the brass. Check out www.midwayusa.com, they have some presses on sale plus other goodies.

5. Mar 7, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    For 308 I'd recommend a single-stage press like the RCBS Rockchucker. I don't know what they cost these days, mine is vintage 1975, but they last (mine's still like new and has loaded many thousands of rounds). You'll need a press, dies and shellholder, a small scale (the electric ones are nice but a balance-beam works just fine) powder measure, and a good manual (Speer is my favorite but others are as good) to get started. You'll gradually add other bits and pieces as you go along.

Economically? That's a tough call. Most handloaders shoot more than non handloaders. It definitely cuts down your cost-per-round.

6. Mar 7, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    I started reloading for economy first, then realized that I could achieve accuracy levels that were unreachable with factory ammo.

Every rifle is an individual and its full potential is can only be achieved with careful handloading. Sometimes it's a certain primer or up/down a half a grain of a particular powder and then they start goin' in the same hole.

Get a good single-stage press as stated, read and ask questions at your local GC.
    Stress safety.

7. Mar 7, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help. Midwayusa kinda bugs me. It seems like 75% of their items are out of stock and are either backorder or special order...

8. Mar 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I've done plinking ammo in .38, .357 and .45. I call it plinking as it I loaded it for comfort and accuracy. Stuff is great to spend all morning shooting and not be worn out.:quickdraw:

9. Mar 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a single stage and not dies or other accessories.

I did the pricing and reloading does not pay back till you use your used brass a few times.

Too much time consupmtion for me, so I pay the extra for the conveneince of factory.

10. Mar 7, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    HardCase

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    I do most of my ammo reloading evenings during the work-week in the winter.....and shoot in the nice weather! Of course, you guys who live in Cali or other warm climes don't have to worry about those looooooonnnnng cold dark nites like we dwellers of the great frozen north. :rolleyes:

It's kind of fun to reload in the winter, makes you look forward to spring.....and not to say that I don't shoot in the winter, I still get out to the range now and then.

11. Mar 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Just curious here, how much does a decent loader cost? And if I were shooting, say .30-30, how much would it save me? Like, 25% per round 50%, etc?

12. Mar 7, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Dillon is the best equipment and company to deal with in my book.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

I've got a dillon 650 machine with over 100,000 rounds I've loaded with it in 40 s&w.

13. Mar 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the link. I'm digging the posters :D
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/Calendars_and_Posters-8-12.html

Like I said before, I am completely new at reloading. Can anyone in a brief summary describe what all is required to reload? I would like to start reloading both .357sig and .308Win and possibly .223 Rem. I don't know if there is a difference since one is pistol ammo and rifle. Is it just as easy as swamping out the dies? Thanks!

14. Mar 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you explain something to me? I don't really understand that word you're using, "winter".

What does that mean?

15. Mar 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    Me and a couple of my relatives are in the process of buying all the stuff needed to start reloading our own.

16. Mar 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    HardCase

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    It's the time of year when your tongue sticks to stuff.

17. Mar 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road

+1 on Dillon :thumbsup:

The guy makes Rock Solid equipment.

18. Mar 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    My XL 650 has a case feeder and auto indexing.
    The 550 you have to place the case on the shell plate and manually index it.
    Some prefer this method for rifle rounds. I can knock out over 600 rounds of 40 S&W in less than an hour with the 650.

20. Mar 8, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I bought the 550 about 20 years ago right after they came out, I think the 550B followed a couple years later but don't remember what the improved model was about.

Loading is a fun hobby but you have to stay focused, it isn't something you do with a couple of your buddies yakkin at you.

Just like any other hobby it gets expensive real fast :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top