Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking to get a 10/22

Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Looking to get a 10/22

So I have been looking into getting a 10/22. Not sure what model to get. My dad has the takedown and I like it, but I want one that I can modify later pretty easily if I want to. Do I get the compact, carbine, target, sporter, or tactical?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
So I have been looking into getting a 10/22. Not sure what model to get. My dad has the takedown and I like it, but I want one that I can modify later pretty easily if I want to. Do I get the compact, carbine, target, sporter, or tactical?
If your gonna modify it get the cheapest one you can find because all you really need is the action. Check local pawn shops and see if you can find a used one. Barrel, stock, trigger assy will all be replaced before its said and done, trust me. This should give you a idea of the possibilties. http://www.hornetproducts.com/
Old 09-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
What Kelly said, when i get the funds/time to trick out a 10/22 i'm gonna buy one of my uncles off him.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and by the way, my dad also has the take down model which has some very subtle upgrades, such as action screws, scope rail and trigger stuff. Basically appearence stuff but the gun shoots awsome out of the box.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Hmm... good to know. I don't plan on putting a few hundred into the thing after I buy it. Maybe a different stock, and a cheap scope. It will just be for plinking. I'm going to be getting one of these and a mosin.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snowbrdr1220's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't plan on putting a few hundred into the thing after I buy it. Maybe a different stock, and a cheap scope. It will just be for plinking.
Uh huh, that's what I said too! $500 later and I've replaced the stock, entire trigger assembly, extractor, bolt buffer tube, magazine release, bolt release, charging handle, and added a cheap scope, flash hider, tripod, and some bx-25 magazines.

I'm hesitant to replace the factory Ruger barrel because mine shoots great and eats any kind of ammo I feed it. Some aftermarket barrels can be finicky with what ammo they like.

If you're planning on replacing the stock, get the cheapest one possible like the other guys said. Most of the different options are just different stock and barrel combinations. The tactical isn't worth the extra money in my opinion. If you want tactical buy an aftermarket stock of your choice and a $10 flash hider.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
The Ruger 10/22 is one of the best .22 semi autos ever made. If you plan on seriously modifying one I agree with Taco Tx, the receiver is all you need, so spend as little as possible to obtain "the gun" (which is the receiver).
The takedown models are neat but that feature would be an expensive platform for something you're going modify. The 10/22 is a highly "modular" design. Major parts such as the barrel, trigger group and stock are all easily replaceable. The guns are some of the most reliable and durable .22 semi autos made. An unmodified 10/22 is often far better than most people know. I've tricked them out with barrels, triggers, hammers, stocks, etc. but the out of the box rifles shoot almost as well as the custom ones. The factory 10 round magazine is a brilliant piece of engineering and I prefer it to a high capacity after-market mag. Good Luck
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had the regular carbine since I was 17, and no joke have seriously put about 25,000 rounds through that rifle with no problem. I went through box after box back when .22LR was $8.99 for 550.

IMO it is the only semi-auto .22 I want more of them myself. I like the new tactical one, because it is the shortest allowable by the ATF before it becomes an SBR and the flash hider unscrews to reveal threads! so for $200 plus a silencer, it is ready to go silent. I applaud Ruger for making such cool variants of this time tested lead hose! And dont forget to grab some BX25 magazines...they feed like there's no tomorrow....for those times when there may not actually be a tomorrow
Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snowbrdr1220's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the Ruger factory BX25 mags. I own 4 and haven't had a single problem with any of them yet, have put about 700 - 800 rounds through each one so far.

Out of those 3000+ rounds I've only had 1 single feed problem, but it was with a Remington thunderbolt that had a bent casing not the magazines fault.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Bill Ruger really got it right. I've never seen a semi-auto .22 rimfire that could beat the 10/22 in terms of reliability and durability. If you're mechanically inclined the lock work can be improved with after market hammers, sears, springs, shims, etc. or you can get a drop in trigger group. Snowbrdr1220 is right about the factory barrel generally being more tolerant of different cartridges and most of the factory barrels I've seen shoot just fine. There are some bolt action .22's that can slightly out shoot some 10/22's but you will not find a better semi-auto .22 rimfire.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wish .22lr is was cheap again or at least possible to find
Cleaning up some stuff recently I found a 1995 wal mart flyer that had federal 550 round box for $8.49. So back then....give or take....one could buy 12,650 rounds for about $200......
Old 09-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if we'll ever get back to $8.50/brick but when the public stops hording ammunition, particularly .22 rimfire, the price and availability will improve. I can remember when burning through a brick of .22's was considered a fun weekend. Might be a while before those days come back.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #14

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
I don't know if we'll ever get back to $8.50/brick but when the public stops hording ammunition, particularly .22 rimfire, the price and availability will improve. I can remember when burning through a brick of .22's was considered a fun weekend. Might be a while before those days come back.
Yeah, the prices went up due to resources/metals/mfg cost before the apocalypse.. I think, which was still "ok" at 15 -18$ a brick, but I laughed when the hoarding started and people listed 550 for $50 to $75 a brick. Luckily I had 2 bricks that were old stock, i've always had two at most times because I shot a lot, but haven't shot much .22 since and i'm glad I had that much. But...credit card debt will set in for some of these idiots and they will have to sell their paranoia back to the public. I have faith.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runn0r View Post
Yeah, the prices went up due to resources/metals/mfg cost before the apocalypse.. I think, which was still "ok" at 15 -18$ a brick, but I laughed when the hoarding started and people listed 550 for $50 to $75 a brick. Luckily I had 2 bricks that were old stock, i've always had two at most times because I shot a lot, but haven't shot much .22 since and i'm glad I had that much. But...credit card debt will set in for some of these idiots and they will have to sell their paranoia back to the public. I have faith.
Yep- I've heard all of the conspiracy theories and reject all of them. The manufacturers are producing ammunition as fast as possible and the private sector is buying it up as fast as possible; at almost any price. It's likely the one part of our economy that is healthy . I'm looking forward to the inevitable crash of the ammunition market and the associated good deals.

With the recent despicable actions at the D.C. Navy Yard carried out by a deranged sociopath we will see a renewed cry for gun control. That effort will prolong the ammunition shortage by triggering yet more hording but even that market will eventually saturate and implode.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Just going to throw this out there, take a look at the S&W M&P 15-22. Little more expensive up front, but functions exactly like a AR15. Mine eats anything and is just about as accurate as most 10/22's. Many AR15 parts will fit it like the FCG.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #17

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
Just going to throw this out there, take a look at the S&W M&P 15-22. Little more expensive up front, but functions exactly like a AR15. Mine eats anything and is just about as accurate as most 10/22's. Many AR15 parts will fit it like the FCG.
The Ruger SR-22 as well. 10/22 innards, both really nice .22 AR's