1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thine Ruger LCP

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Runn0r, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Runn0r

Runn0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I was thinking about buying one, mainly because it is the flattest/lightest/cheapest/tiny-esque type of .380 auto-loader at that price range. Some people had horror stories, others praise it....So I figured I would ask the well-rounded-scientifically-skeptical-mechanically inclined community that is TacomaWorld. Who owns a LCP here? and how has it treated you? I basically want a .380 that will replace my pocket knife. I love the P238, but so expensively impractical for its weight, Price, larger size, and same capacity.

Pisses me off that SIG makes such a MILSPEC .380, but they outsource their .22LR pistols to GSG...I wish they would make the SIG P.22 in the same 238. for $400. Anyhow...Any first hand accounts of the LCP by you guys greatly appreciated.

Its no Glock...but its smaller than my cock? so..wallet size.

2. Sep 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I concur..The sights are non existent. I love the 238. superb quality and sights. Mini 1911. I guess I could get the dovetail machined down a bit to shorten it. etc.. Its just still an expensive gun..however worth it for the full metal 1911 features. I guess my main concern is the cycling ability of the LCP. Upon its release there were issues...(to be expected) but I could definitely train myself on it...(If I found .380 ammo)....to shoot it...

My other thought was the NAA Pug revolver....which to me is genius. It has a Trijicon front post..and a dove rear..which actually seems to be quite effective in accuracy tests. It is a .22MAg revolver, but I have never seen such great ammo for 22 mag in modern times. It may lack mass but it sure does pack speed and shrapnel capabilities in modern polymer tips.

Im gonna have to shoot around and see what is the best tiny ass gun I can get.

3. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I've owned 2 LCPs

Pretty nice for what they are...which is a short range, last ditch shove it in their chest and empty the mag pocket pistol

With that being said, a little fluorescent paint will help the sights quite a bit

4. Sep 19, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    We had our yearly weapon quals for our dept. this past Monday. Four Dep. had the LCPs. Two guys qualified no problem, the other two had jamming issues. Once the two guys stopped limp wristing the guns, they qualified no problem. Our qualifications for back up guns takes us out to 15yrds. The sights are sufficient for that range if YOU do your part.

Like Tigerfan00 said, the gun is fine for it's intended use. I don't see the need to spend more money to accomplish the same task.

5. Sep 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Thats not the intended use of an LCP

Plenty of guns fill that market but the LCP is designed to be a back up or last ditch option...its not designed to be taken to the range for hundreds of rounds each time

It is however a reliable last ditch point and shoot (no sights required) pump all 7 rounds into the dude who is on top of you beating your face in weapon

6. Sep 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Affirmative. Plus .380 is not only expensive ammo, but increasingly rare :(

7. Sep 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    gopens48

gopens48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5
    If you decide you'd rather have a 9mm, let me know. I have an LC9 that I'm looking to sell for about $325. Originally bought it for the wife, but she decided she likes the wheel gun more.

8. Sep 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Msrp for the Sig is $643.00, msrp for the LCP is 379.00.
    Yes, both guns can be had cheaper. But for the intended purpose of the gun, I'll save my hard earned money. Take the almost $300 saved and put it toward a full size 1911 and have it all. A fun gun to shoot and one that you will carry everyday and won't cry if it gets sweaty, sandy, muddy, rusty, holster wear etc.

9. Sep 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I would have to agree.
    The downside of the LCP is it's so thin, it's painful to shoot.
    The Sig is a MUCH nicer gun to shoot and look at.
    For some, that counts......

10. Sep 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    But its far less painful to survive an attack

11. Sep 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    I've got a P238 also - love it - carry it all the time. It is a nicer more fun to shoot gun that the LCP - but I will admit for $200-$250 less the LCP will do nearly the same job. I would say that the P238 is a little better than just point and shoot at arms length though. Its got pretty good sights and it is pretty accurate (at least I am pretty accurate with it) out to 10-15 yds. Another one to look at before going with the LCP is the new Beretta Pico. It is about the same size as the LCP - but it is a little heavier (not as heavy as the P238) - so might be a little more pleasant to shoot - I think MSRP is $399.

12. Sep 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Another $100 gets you a Kahr CW9.
    An upgrade in every way.

13. Sep 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Thanks for the inputs. I mainly want a .380 to carry as a deep concealment weightless burdenless last resort, when I dont wanna lug my normal G26. I really admire the 238, but as Front sight said, it will endure lots of wear and corrosion over time. I dont know whether I would want to put such a beautiful gun like the 238 through the daily grind, so it may be the LCP. I do think the 238 is by far one of the nicest .380s in existence tho for sure, I just havent really seen a flatter/shorter .380 than the Ruger/keltec.

14. Sep 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I love when people bag on the LCP's sights.

This is two spiders and a fly from about 15 feet (probably more) the day I bought it.

IMG00567-20091105-1120_77bb6b7b6ddb76d27543756dad2f119ae73f61c8.jpg

IMG00568-20091105-1144_8b9157d3c28d6ca30687d1890af5edf6e45089ed.jpg

IMG00569-20091105-1148_7592cf722cf9adda8cc6958338b1cdb1a109ff54.jpg

So yeah... for self defense purposes I'd say it can perform the task as long as the shooter does. I carry either a G19 or XDs 9mm as my primary but this little rusted our LCP lives in a pocket holster as my backup and regularly pulls primary duty if I'm wearing gym shorts or something. It's just fine.

15. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Congratulations. You missed the point entirely.

In a perfect situation I'd be rocking an AR15 but let's be realistic... sometimes the task at hand calls for compromises. While the sights on the LCP aren't industry leading they're most certainly serviceable and, as I've proven, can be mighty effective. In a SD situation they will work just fine.

BTW, if you're shooting in the dark w/o some sort of light and relying on your fancy night sights you're screwed anyway. I carry a nice light too so night sights aren't a deal breaker for me. Hell, in a SD situation when lives are on the line you might be surprised how much of the sights you actually see... if at all.

Train. Train. Train.

Then train some more.

16. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    in all my stress course training...i point shoot...sights be damned...

17. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. I cringe when people talk about sights and how a gun feels when selecting a CCW weapon. These are probably the two least important factors of a CCW weapon. You want something that is light enough and small enough that you never leave home without it. Ever. Doesn't matter how good your night sights or grip is if it's sitting at home in the safe when you need it. Sights are largely optional when you've got an adrenaline dump and are hammer firing until you run out of ammo. It's not politically correct to say what I'm about to say since it's 'big boy rules' but you should really practice point shooting if you don't already and this is also important to weapon selection. Simply grab a Glock, look at a spot across the room and then present your firearm to where you think it's pointed at that spot. Now, look at your sights. Are they close enough that if that was a man's belly button you would be hitting center mass? Then you're good. Grip angles and various factors effect this so see what gun 'points' best for you and then practice that. Once you do that select the version of that firearm that is largest that you will actually carry 24/7. Congratulations, that's the best CCW firearm for you and all the rest is just fluff. Practice muzzle control when hammer firing through a mag and how much force it takes downward between shots to keep the shots grouped where you want them. Most of the rest of the shit you hear on forums that people say are important won't ever be a factor if you ever have to use it.

Now, if this is going to be a competition gun or a safe queen that you show off make sure you get all the fancy upgrades. :D

18. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    In a way, I like the LCP sights because they are low profile like the rest of the gun, and wont get caught on threads. As noted above, I would train with it constantly to figure out where the sweet spot is at all angles. I was watching this one guy shoot his rapidly...quick drawn from the hip at a short distance and it was effective enough! Again, for me it would be a last effort to return fire, jump over the body, and exit the situation.

This guy demonstrates some decent scenario shots for the LCP:

http://youtu.be/fmcfj4GbkZA

19. Sep 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    Why do people get their panties in a wad when people just point out what is fact? The P238 has better sights than the LCP - FACT. That may not be important to you - you may conclude that the LCP sights are more than adequate for your intended use of the gun. If you are simply talking about self defense - then in all likelihood you'd never need to shoot at anything that is more than 5-7 yards away - tops - most likely would be much closer. And the LCP is more than capable of that - no argument there.

20. Sep 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    Runn0r

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I dunno.. There are people who have money...who only look at features and high-end options..... It's like the guy who will tell you "This car is fusking awesome." Because it has a hemi....you ask that same person to explain "hemi" in full detail and why its awesome...and they have no answer because they do not actually know what the fusk it actually means.

Same with guns.. The general populous is a mixture of idiotic narcissist consumers who watch 1 video and believe everything said...and the other half are people who understand the science of a device and practice regularly. Those people always give honest feedback, while the rest provide insulting explanations of their lack of understanding.

-Not so much in this thread, everyone seems to be cool here. But just saying in General....this is the breakdown of the human animal.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top