Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

New to Hunting - Advice or good books you'd recommend?

Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
New to Hunting - Advice or good books you'd recommend?

As the title says, I'm new to hunting and aside from learning hands-on from an experienced hunter, I'm looking for good advice, literature, websites, etc for beginners. Specifically good instructional books.

I'm looking for the SAS Survival Handbook equivalent for hunting.

I am in BC, so advice specific to the North or Northwest would be best. Mountains, Coastal, colder climates)

I have a nice Savage 99 in a .284 and will be going after deer, elk, moose.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
DavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to allDavidR is a name known to all
Name: David
DavidR's Tacoma Gallery
I am a whitetail hunter here in the northern tier of NY. I haven't read many hunting books, but I can recommend "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon" by Charles Alsheimer.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
I am a whitetail hunter here in the northern tier of NY. I haven't read many hunting books, but I can recommend "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon" by Charles Alsheimer.
Just found it on Amazon for $185 bucks..... I'll keep an eye out at bookstores.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
I would look for any books specifically related to trajectories. All the other stuff comes best with experience and learning the fun/hard way but learning about bullet drop and compensation at specific ranges as well as angle of attack if you will. Thats tough because you cant actually see where or how you missed when you miss. Don't worry about the fine points too much, if at all actually. There are 100s of ways to do everything and no one thing works all the time. and prey are always learning so doing something new might actually work pretty well. One example, in my area tree stands are commonly used and deer learned to look up into the trees. So I built a little hut out of leaves and branches in the middle of a briar patch. Deer looked up at the tree stand, saw it clear, and took an arrow through the side at 25 yards.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
Some of the best reads for getting started are the local sportsman magazines (most of the US states have them for each specific state). They have everything from gear reviews and interviews to forecasts for public lands, places to hunt, access points, etc. At the end of the day, having someone to show you the ropes or a hunting club to join is by far the most valuable thing to do, but one read that might be helpful depending on what/ how you are hunting is the SAS guide to tracking. If you are a fan of the SAS survival book, it is written and illustrated the same way, and has a lot of good knowledge on general tracking, which would help for scouting, stalking, and of course finding any game to recover it.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
The meat eater by Steven Rinella. Part educational, part humor. When hunting it is important to remember to laugh and have fun. Great book.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Pdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
Advice is get out there and scout the off season. Practice your tracking skills and spot and stalk.