Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Optics Opinions

Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
Just try searching "scout scope." I'll try find a couple more when I have time, but that should narrow your search down to what you're looking for.
I've been searching scout scopes and also pistol scopes. Some of the red dot scopes are neat also but tend to be lower magnification. I might head to Bass Pro this weekend and check out some of their scopes in person. Nothing like actually being able to physically see the scope, even if I don't end up buying from them.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I need some help choosing an optic with rings. If will be put on a Mosin Nagant 91/30, mounted on a Brass Stacker's mount. Eventually, I might get a wild hair across my ass and actually buy the Archangel stock but that's a ways off, for now it's a standard Mosin with a free floated barrel. Price is a concern, I don't want to spend $300 on a scope for a $100 rifle. So, can anyone recommend me a decent quality budget scope for this thing? Obviously, not looking top of the line with my budget. I'm looking for inexpensive but would like to avoid something cheap if that makes sense.
I put a NC Star Pistolero scope on my Mosin using the same Brass Stacker mount you will be using. A very inexpensive scope that has held zero and held up to the recoil very well through hundreds of rounds. There are many favorable reviews on this scope and I believe the Brass Stacker web site recommends it. You need a pistol scope in order to have the correct eye relief. I think is was around $70 - 75 when I got mine. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #23
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
I put a NC Star Pistolero scope on my Mosin using the same Brass Stacker mount you will be using. A very inexpensive scope that has held zero and held up to the recoil very well through hundreds of rounds. There are many favorable reviews on this scope and I believe the Brass Stacker web site recommends it. You need a pistol scope in order to have the correct eye relief. I think is was around $70 - 75 when I got mine. Good luck.
Interesting, so a +1 for the NcStar. You're correct, Brass Stackers sells that scope on their website.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
Simmons has made some serious improvements, and I love all my vortex scopes. Then again a nikon pro staff on sale is legit as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Interesting, so a +1 for the NcStar. You're correct, Brass Stackers sells that scope on their website.
Here's a couple of pics of the NC Star on my rifle.

Now in the interest of full disclosure....I couldn't get the rifle on paper from 50 yards using the first Pistolero scope I bought. Having a few Nikon's on my other rifles I had never had this problem before. I called NC Star using the number published in the booklet that came with the scope. Told them my problem, they asked how I had the scope mounted - they were very familiar with the Brass Stacker mount - and told me to send it back for replacement. They sent me a new scope within the week that has worked perfectly. I was leery of buying an "inexpensive" scope but it's worked fine and their customer service was great.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #26

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's a couple of pics of the NC Star on my rifle.

Now in the interest of full disclosure....I couldn't get the rifle on paper from 50 yards using the first Pistolero scope I bought. Having a few Nikon's on my other rifles I had never had this problem before. I called NC Star using the number published in the booklet that came with the scope. Told them my problem, they asked how I had the scope mounted - they were very familiar with the Brass Stacker mount - and told me to send it back for replacement. They sent me a new scope within the week that has worked perfectly. I was leery of buying an "inexpensive" scope but it's worked fine and their customer service was great.
That looks great! Thanks for the pictures and review. I've got a decision to make now...

I do like how Brass Stackers claims that the rear sight is still functional
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
Dental Floss Tycoon

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to put some Blue Loctite on the little bolts that hold the mount on. I didn't at first and they worked themselves loose at the first range session.

In a pinch you can use the iron sights after mounting the Brass Stacker. You'll see what I mean once you get yours on. Cheers!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #28

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Be sure to put some Blue Loctite on the little bolts that hold the mount on. I didn't at first and they worked themselves loose at the first range session.

In a pinch you can use the iron sights after mounting the Brass Stacker. You'll see what I mean once you get yours on. Cheers!
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate the help