Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What is your favorite caliber for a pistol?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #41
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
What is your favorite caliber for a pistol?-image005.jpg
Old 03-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #42
SUPMO72 is on a distinguished road

SUPMO72's Tacoma Gallery
.357 sig
Old 03-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #43
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
That makes my .44 mag look like a pea shooter.

Its quite a gun, I just ordered up Some Grizzly ammo in a 700 grain bullet. That should take care of a few mosquitos Ive got buzzing around the house.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #44
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery

357 Magnum
Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #46
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The biggest caliber you can consistently shoot accurately. Don't think with your dick on this one either. Be honest with yourself!

People argue certain calibers are too small. This used to be true. Nowadays with the technology of powders and bullet construction, a premium cartridge of nearly any caliber can be effective and reliable against a human intruder.

I vote 357. I'm a revolver man. I'll spare you the lecture on why.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #47
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
The biggest caliber you can consistently shoot accurately. Don't think with your dick on this one either. Be honest with yourself!

People argue certain calibers are too small. This used to be true. Nowadays with the technology of powders and bullet construction, a premium cartridge of nearly any caliber can be effective and reliable against a human intruder.

I vote 357. I'm a revolver man. I'll spare you the lecture on why.
Your right on this. I have a nice S&W Revolver in a 22 cal and it is deadly accurate and no recoil whatsoever. The GF likes it a lot and she is quite comfortable shooting it. It is what we keep for a pistol in the house. Easy to reload and reliable and it is cheap to practice a lot with to be familiar with.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #48
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Your right on this. I have a nice S&W Revolver in a 22 cal and it is deadly accurate and no recoil whatsoever. The GF likes it a lot and she is quite comfortable shooting it. It is what we keep for a pistol in the house. Easy to reload and reliable and it is cheap to practice a lot with to be familiar with.
When I said "nearly any caliber", I was implying 380 ACP/38 Special on up. I would argue a 22 is not enough. Buuutttt, I'd rather have a 22 than a knife or a baseball bat. My first pistol was a 22 lr Browning Buckmark. I love that gun and for a couple of years it was my home defense gun. The low recoil allows me to rapid fire all 10 shots into a fist sized group. That would ruin anybody's day.

If you choose to use a 22, may I suggest a heavy, hyper velocity like the CCI Velocitor? The hyper velocity obviously gives more power. The heavy weight improves penetration and decreases the risk of fragmentation on rib bones and whatnot.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #49
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a huge fan of 10mm. It's making a well deserved comeback.

Glock 29 is my weapon of choice. As soon as Microtech releases their 10mm bull-pup carbine I'll have one of those too. It's supposed to take Glock magazines.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #50

Well its the gun that the Gf likes for now untill I have her practice more on the 9mm.
The 22 cal I use stingers in it right now which are 41 gr. but we dont have much problems around here.
I use my Sig 45 or 1911 45 I like them both and shoot them weekly. Like you said most all calibers are quite effective as long as your familiar with them.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #51
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
...most all calibers are quite effective as long as your familiar with them.
That's just not true. Are you familiar with this very famous FBI case study?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

And here's the official FBI document for those who want to read it straight from the source.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm

Small caliber is better than nothing if you're unable to wield a large one, but all guns are not created equal.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #52

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
but all guns are not created equal.
I don't think anyone would argue that but as you said, some people just can't shoot big shit. It's better to hit with a 22 than miss by a foot, or more, with a 45.

I shoot a lot and I've seen more than one "big tough man" that can't even hit paper with anything over 9mm.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #53
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Revolver - .357 mag

Semi - .40 S&W

Long Rifle - .308 WIN
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #54

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that but as you said, some people just can't shoot big shit. It's better to hit with a 22 than miss by a foot, or more, with a 45.

I shoot a lot and I've seen more than one "big tough man" that can't even hit paper with anything over 9mm.
To a certain extent I agree, but I think it would be better to just take the ass raping your about to receive from a bad guy than to shoot him with a .22 and piss him off so he kills you.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #55
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I've always heard that when someone is shot with a 22 and the bullet hits bones in your body it just bounces around like a pinball causing alot of damage. That being said I wouldn't trust my life to a 22 unless thats all I had. Thats why I carry a 40cal. Sig. The smallest pistol I own is a 9mm Glock but I would also trust a 38 spl, but nothing smaller. Just my .02.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #56
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
to those of you who are saying a .22 is not enough

SC Trooper Mark Coates would probably argue with you
http://www.odmp.org/officer/420-troo...-hunter-coates

1 .22lr shot to the armpit killed him...he had already put 5 .357 shots into the fucksticks chest...

fuckstick lived...
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #57
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
.45. Why? Because they don't make a .46...
220,221-whatever it takes.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #58
CorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrectionCop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
CorrectionCop's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Taurus PT24/7 Pro 40 Cal. Plenty of stopping power and virtually jam proof.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #59
Flyguymike is on a distinguished road

Flyguymike's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger .380 LCP because it's easy to carry and I can hit what I aim at.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #60
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
9mm with +p+ hollowpoints or a .357 sig. Both have tremendous stopping power.