Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What is your favorite caliber for a pistol?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #81
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
+1, and loaded with 230 grn hydrashoks
Hydrashocks for carry, home brewed 200gr SWC over 4.3gr VV310 for competition/plinking. A tad more recoil than a 22mag, accurate and still makes major classification.

Look at personal defense this way- you can throw 115 or 127 grains at 1000-1150fps, or you can throw 230gr at 830fps. I'd rather throw one accurately to stop the uglies than to need 4 or 5 hits.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #82
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 40 cal. personally

I own a Glock 23c
Old 03-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #83
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
I have had an H&K USP-40 going on 13 years in patrol and simply like the 40 cal. round. In ballistic tests the 40 cal. always does very well and with todays better performing manufactures of ammunition the 40 cal. can be had in several variations.

The 45 is a proven performer and I also like the 45 cal. for duty however if given the choice I will go for the 40. It is easier to control and personally shot placement is crucial for my uses. 40 Cal. weapons are normally smaller with higher capacity available as well.

I personally carry the older 40 Cal. Black Talon rounds as well as the Hydra Shock rounds. Both are proven performers however there are many newer brands that out perform.....my Dept. does not allow several of the new stuff for carry.

Better quality,and performing,ammunition can make an average cal. weapon a man stopper. Better shot placement can make average ammunition also a man stopper. If you can shoot well and use quality ammunition you really can not go wrong with most any choice you make.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #84
Caveman
LaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to beholdLaxVarsity04 is a splendid one to behold
LaxVarsity04's Tacoma Gallery
i love my xd40....extremely accurate and easy to find ammo. I say taht but when i go to walmart im only allowed to purchase 50 rounds at a time (how gay). Im looking to get a .357mag revolver to conceal carry. tired of my pants falling down cause of the XD, and yes i wear a belt.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #85
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #86
larz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to beholdlarz is a splendid one to behold

larz's Tacoma Gallery
45ACP...best all round..round.

....don't like SW 40 .....too snappy and hard to reacquire target. Ballistically a great round, just IMO too difficult to control.

Then the 9mm in a proven JHP.....higher capacity and better control.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #87
DellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellGSG5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dell
DellGSG5's Tacoma Gallery
.45 Cal
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #88
kiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nicekiddwvman is just really nice
Army:
Name: leon
kiddwvman's Tacoma Gallery
40 s@w
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #89
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
What the hell are people basing their choices on?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #90
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: IS2(AW) @ NAS JAX
USNROBERTS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Manliness.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #91
Semperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud ofSemperfi has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Recon Batt.
Semperfi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am an Ex combat Marine and a Ex Police Officer.
I own:
4 .45's
3 9mm's
.41 mag
.44 mag
and numerous .22's
I carry a .45
Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #92
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have a .40 - .45 is a bit more of a bear to shoot than I'd like, and if I go 9mm I need to get a purse to pack my balls in.

Joking, I'm actually considering 9, but right now a .40 seems like a good compromise between the stopping power of a .45, and the ammo capacity of a 9.

Edit: Actually, my favorite round to shoot is a .22! My ruger mk III shoots great, the ammo is dirt cheap, and the recoil is so low I can shoot all day.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #94
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the op didn't say a caliber for a specific use, he just said "your favorite"
my favorite for fun-expensive-hunting&shooting= 454casull
my favorite for fun-inexpensive hunting&shooting= .22lr
my favorite for highly effective stopping power for carry=.40 s&w
a persons favorite doesn't have to be based on anything but what they like
Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #95
Gauntlet will become famous soon enough

Name: Mike
Gauntlet's Tacoma Gallery
.45 acp 230 gr. Speer Gold Dots are what we use at work.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #96
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite handgun is the .44 magnum. Can be expensive to shoot, but it's like the .357. For plinking, the .44 special is easy on the ears and hands/arms. It also makes a pretty good home defense round. The magnum round is too powerful for home defense, but it makes an excellent big game round. It's not as punishing as the larger calibers, and it doesn't need to be.