Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking to get my first shotgun...

Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster that my grandfather passed down to me. He only shot it a couple times before giving it to me. Since then I have done nearly everything with it.

I have a full tactical home defense setup for it. Magpul stock/fore end. tube extension, 18 inch all purpose barrel, and other little things.

But now since duck season opened up, I have switched it back. It takes a matter of 5-0 minutes to convert it to a totally different gun.

Unlike the mossbergs (other competitor is the >600 range) The remingtons are sturdy. The mossbergs have a different setup, trigger, and more moving parts. The remington has 2 pieces that pop onto the slide rails and you're done. The trigger assembly drops out when you punch the two pins out.

super easy to clean, super reliable, and TONS of options.

I can go out and shoot clay, hunt anything from deer with slugs to duck, pheasants, and other smaller game. Then after I get home I can sit down, break it down to clean it, but put my home defense parts on it in the same time it would have taken to put the hunting setup back on.

I have always wanted a Benelli Nova, but after 5 years with my 870, I still don't have anything else. All of the parts/accessories I have more my 870, plus the retail price of the gun still don't add up to the price of the Nova or other competitors.

However, bottom line is that the 870 is a pump, while many of the aforementioned models are all semi auto. My philosophy is that you can have the fastest auto-loader in the west, but if you can't aim it, you're not going to hit shit. The great thing about a pump is that it makes you practice and perfect your aim, cause you only have one before you have to rack a new one and possible lose your target sighting.

well said.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Mossberg 500
Stoeger 2000
Rem 870
Benelli Nova
Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
Im gonna go out on a limb and say I love my mossberg 500. The 870 is a great gun too, i got the 500 because it came with 2 barrels and a pistol grip and a scope and some other toys and was on sale. With a 30" barrel its great for skeet

also, most skeet places ive shot at only let you chamber 1 round so semi auto v pump doesnt make much of a difference
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
remington 870 or an 887, benellis are nice to. dont get a semi it will get worn out if you shoot clays with it
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialized7 View Post
remington 870 or an 887, benellis are nice to. dont get a semi it will get worn out if you shoot clays with it

what??
Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ISC disagrees....http://internationalsportingclays.co...ting-shotguns/
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Mossberg 500
Stoeger 2000
Rem 870
Benelli Nova
Get the 870 and keep it at my house.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
FSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to all

Name: Cody
FSUtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Benelli Supernova 12ga. Love it.

If you are wanting lighter recoil that is the whole point of the Supernova vs. the Nova is the stock reduces recoil by quite a good amount (don't remember specific number).

My stepdad has a Mossberg 500 tactical. It's a good shotgun as well. Prefer my Benelli though.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im not sure how true this is but i can say that i Have Franchi I-12 which uses the inertia driven system from Benelli. I have had it for about 10yrs and it has served me well. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds dove, duck, turkey hunting and clays in between. Last duck season it finally crapped out on me. A internal buffer that controls the the shell lifter cracked and was beaten to pieces from the bolt carrier slamming against it. But called Benelli, sent the old trigger group in along with pics and recieved a brand new trigger group with the new parts installed. Great customer service. I say a nice Mossberg over and under in 20ga fits the bill and the budget.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #30
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
haha we have auto throwers that throw 2 clays everyminute. any of our semis have gone to shit(2 weatherbys)
we will shoot 500 rounds a day. far more then the average"skeet" shooter.
The best most dependable gun has been a browning citori. i have an 887 that was a good gun but is getting worn out with the amount of skeet i shoot.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Remington 1100; tis an autoloading 12 gauge: it's pretty incredible
I think a Remington 1100 in something like a .410 would be an awesome skeeter; per the description of what you're looking for
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #32
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCrusher View Post
Benellis are crap. Mossbergs aren't for clay shooting. 870 is okay...for a versitile gun.

The best bang for your buck is an A400-Beretta. Or, for an o/u a Silver Pigeon I 686. I have one of both berettas...and a mossy 500 tactical. And an old 870. I'm a competitive shooter btw.
How are Benellis crap? They are the most sold shotgun in the US and they arent even made here. You get what you pay for and I have never talked to a disappointed Benelli owner. Its all the owners personal opinion in the end
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #33
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
In your budget, Remington 1100 in 20ga. And this /\/\.
I love my Benelli and hate Berettas.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #34
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I've narrowed it down to two:

Benelli Supernova- More spendy of the 2 but with little to no aftermarket available I won't be spending a fortune on accessories

Rem 870 (left hand)- I'm left handed and while the right hand eject doesn't bother me, I'll go this route if I get an 870. Aftermarket is HUGE as everyone knows. Mods will be stock and maybe different sights but who knows, once you buy then minds change!

Either one I will be getting a 12 gauge. Seeing as how ammo is the same price and I have a friend who has a setup to reload already I can save there.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I would personally stick to a nova unless there is any reason you plan on shooting 3 1/2" shells. That said, good choice. The stocks are a easy swap on the 870 but other than that sights have to be drilled and tapped where as on the Benelli they screw in vs pressed in. You can also get mag ext for benelli if say home defense, hog hunting, ect. The finish on the 870's is a rust haven also and over all quality is not what it once was.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #36
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
I would personally stick to a nova unless there is any reason you plan on shooting 3 1/2" shells. That said, good choice. The stocks are a easy swap on the 870 but other than that sights have to be drilled and tapped where as on the Benelli they screw in vs pressed in. You can also get mag ext for benelli if say home defense, hog hunting, ect. The finish on the 870's is a rust haven also and over all quality is not what it once was.
Basically I'm trying to get low recoil. The supernova is setup to reduce it more and that's what I want. The price diff is only like $60 so I'm not worried about that
Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #37
KanoradoKing is on a distinguished road

Name: David
KanoradoKing's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Mossberg 500 tactical persuader. I love this shotgun! I would highly recommend a 12g.

I have taken this guy to the range several times to shoot skeet and it's a blast. Plus, you can switch out the barrels for home defense or hunting.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopperman View Post
Im gonna go out on a limb and say I love my mossberg 500. The 870 is a great gun too, i got the 500 because it came with 2 barrels and a pistol grip and a scope and some other toys and was on sale. With a 30" barrel its great for skeet

also, most skeet places ive shot at only let you chamber 1 round so semi auto v pump doesnt make much of a difference

That makes no sense.
You are shooting doubles on 1,2,6 and 7.
You have to load two to shoot a complete round of skeet.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #39

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Basically I'm trying to get low recoil. The supernova is setup to reduce it more and that's what I want. The price diff is only like $60 so I'm not worried about that
If you plan on shooting very much skeet or trap shooting short 2 3/4 " shells in a 3 1/2" chamber isnt going to yield ideal patterns. The super nova is quite larger an that much more weight. Also not an ideal trap/skeet gun. Not much recoil with skeet loads anyhow. Good luck to ya and enjoy whatever you choose.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertaco12 View Post
How are Benellis crap? They are the most sold shotgun in the US and they arent even made here. You get what you pay for and I have never talked to a disappointed Benelli owner. Its all the owners personal opinion in the end
Benelli's, especially SBEs, are the jacked up truck with loud mufflers and oversize mudders of the shotgun world.
Overstated, mostly plastic, and virtually never actually shoot a 3.5in cartridge.
People just buy them for the image.
As I posted earlier, Benelli's are not that popular in the clays world and the intertia system doesn't process light loads very well. Nor does it reduce recoil like a gas gun does.