LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking to get my first shotgun...

Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #41
wbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud ofwbyrd01 has much to be proud of
Army: 1/75 RGR
wbyrd01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
That makes no sense.
You are shooting doubles on 1,2,6 and 7.
You have to load two to shoot a complete round of skeet.
I think he's trying to say you chamber one round and have only one in the magazine, vs. a full magazine.

OP - I think you're headed in the right direction here. Your buddy who reloads can make light rounds for you to shoot as well. One gun I don't think I saw mentioned is the Mossberg 930 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=371615890). They can be found in your price range, they're an autoloader - which will greatly reduce recoil, and the barrels can be swapped out if you ever wanted to go with a short barrel for home defense. One thing to keep in mind with reloads in an autoloader, make sure they're hot enough to cycle the action!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #42
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Based on your budget and intended use, I'd go Remington 870 20ga.

But I have to add I love my 1100 classic trap in 12ga. But that's about double your budget. I didn't get mine until Father's Day 2 yrs ago; and I've been shooting on and off for the last 38 yrs. Before the 1100 it was always an 870. FWIW

PS: The 1100 doesn't like bargain shells.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #43
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
The new Ithaca Featherlights are nice.. may be a bit above your budget though.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #44
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Alright, since most of you seem to like $15-1600 shotties, let me remind you my budget is under $600. Honestly, the pump/semi thing I will just go with whatever feels best to hold to me. I am more interested in going 20 gauge for the simple fact that since it is mostly for clay shooting, I'll be shooting lots when I do. Therefore less recoil is better.
Look for a used remington 870 wingmaster in 20g. My sister uses one and its a sweet gun for dove hunting. That was also my first shotgun as well. Much much lighter than my remington 1100 auto 12g.

You can find them around here for sub $300
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #45
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
This is just my opinion, but I think you should wait and save a little more because you'll want something better (a better selection) if you shoot clay as much as you say you will. I have at one time owned almost every gun mentioned, but have always enjoyed a o/u for clay 20g. The benelli montifeltro 20g was probably the easiest shooting for me as far as comfort goes. I would also take beauty and craftsmanship of a gun into account too.
Also want to confirm that "Benelli.....intertia system doesn't process light loads very well." very true.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #46
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Look for a used remington 870 wingmaster in 20g. My sister uses one and its a sweet gun for dove hunting. That was also my first shotgun as well. Much much lighter than my remington 1100 auto 12g.

You can find them around here for sub $300
A lighter pump vs heavier gas autoloader?
Isn't that the opposite of recoil reduction?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #47
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamarine View Post
This is just my opinion, but I think you should wait and save a little more because you'll want something better (a better selection) if you shoot clay as much as you say you will. I have at one time owned almost every gun mentioned, but have always enjoyed a o/u for clay 20g. The benelli montifeltro 20g was probably the easiest shooting for me as far as comfort goes. I would also take beauty and craftsmanship of a gun into account too.
I didn't say I'm shooting weekly. It may be a once a month thing most likely. There will be some bird hunting as well
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #48
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I say something along this is a good place to start http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G75410
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #49
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No O/U.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #50
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A lighter pump vs heavier gas autoloader?
Isn't that the opposite of recoil reduction?
the 870 was a 20g
Old 10-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #51
Paved roads: a waste of taxpayer money
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That makes no sense.
You are shooting doubles on 1,2,6 and 7.
You have to load two to shoot a complete round of skeet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbyrd01 View Post
I think he's trying to say you chamber one round and have only one in the magazine, vs. a full magazine.
Ya, sorry my bad that wasn't clear.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
Taco14ID is on a distinguished road
Army: AV8TOR -Dual-Rated
Name: Burton
Taco14ID's Tacoma Gallery
Skeet Gun

Picked this up years ago. Absolutely mint Hunter & Sons, Belfast, Ireland 12 bore double. (Birmingham manufacture; 1920-30) Super light, straight English stock. Comes up fast. Buy my shells online because of the age but it serves me well for skeet and upland birds.
Nothing wrong with the newer guns, I also shoot a 1966 Ithaca M.37 in 20ga. and a 1965 Browning Auto 5 also in 20 ga.
Can't hardly miss with the Hunter & Sons... with obviously more shot going out.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #53
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco14ID View Post
Picked this up years ago. Absolutely mint Hunter & Sons, Belfast, Ireland 12 bore double. (Birmingham manufacture; 1920-30) Super light, straight English stock. Comes up fast. Buy my shells online because of the age but it serves me well for skeet and upland birds.
Nothing wrong with the newer guns, I also shoot a 1966 Ithaca M.37 in 20ga. and a 1965 Browning Auto 5 also in 20 ga.
Can't hardly miss with the Hunter & Sons... with obviously more shot going out.
Very nice!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #54
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
Honestly, I was in a similar position about 8 years ago when I was your age and just getting into shooting. My budget was the same. Originally, I had plans for a $2000 Beretta O/U. I found some Beretta 3901 20 gauge with ugly grey synthetic stock on clearance at a local gun shop for $550 and decided to get that instead. I am really glad I did as it has been an awesome gun. This version of the 3901 was made in Italy (most of the less expensive ones were made in the US with Turkish barrels). Since getting it, I have shot tons of skeet, taken it small game hunting, deer hunting, turkey hunting and more recently quail and upland bird hunting. It is very versatile.

For you, I would look at a used 1100 in a left hand model. A quick search on GunBroker finds a couple well within your price range. That leaves money for another barrel, or to have it refinished (since one in your price range may have some use on it). I'd also start with a 12 gauge and shoot light target loads. The light target loads will be about the same as a normal 20 gauge, but they will feel lighter in the larger, heavier gun.

If you are serious about skeet, then I would not recommend a pump action. You'll have enough things to think about without trying to work that into your game.

Also, a target/field shotgun isn't exactly like our Tacomas. I would not suggest making any serious 'mods' to it. I would recommend getting it fit and spending any left over money on lessons or more shells. Definitely don't go get an 870 and put a tacticool stock on it and then bring it to the skeet fields.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #55
wildcats is on a distinguished road
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
I shot competitively for years so I guess I'll weigh in, even though it wasn't in skeet but sporting clays. The 870 is a great gun but is not suited real well for skeet, maybe trap. I would probably try to afford an 1100. And I've never been a fan of 20 gauge so I would stick with 12, i shot probably over 20,000 rounds one year at only about 110-125 lbs as a 15 year old. I also shoot lefty but I've always shot o/u's, Perazzi mx2000's.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #56
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
This is my 887 nitro mag. I love shooting clays with a pistol grip. this gun is only 499@ cabelas and i think i paid 129.99 for the folding stock

Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #57
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialized7 View Post
This is my 887 nitro mag. I love shooting clays with a pistol grip. this gun is only 499@ cabelas and i think i paid 129.99 for the folding stock

says the guy with a 3 inch body lift and 3 inch blocks.. hahahahahaha too funny.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #58
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im sure its been mentioned here multiple times, but if you really get into skeet shooting, pick up some light loads. They dont beat you up if you are shooting a few hundred rounds a day.

As far as semi's, there is no reason to think they arent reliable. I have a 11-87 that ive run thousands of rounds through and shot everything from clays, pheasants, turkeys, ducks and deer with it.

I dont think you can go wrong with a semi.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #59
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
says the guy with a 3 inch body lift and 3 inch blocks.. hahahahahaha too funny.
sorry i cant afford fuckin leaf packs, the body lift was on the fuckin truck when i got it.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #60
Wannabe crawler

After doing some more research, I've added the Rem 887 to my possibilities list. I'm gonna check out the local store after work and see what I like the feel of the most.