Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Looking to get my first shotgun...

Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #61
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=megillet;7614329]Honestly, I was in a similar position about 8 years ago when I was your age and just getting into shooting. My budget was the same. Originally, I had plans for a $2000 Beretta O/U. I found some Beretta 3901 20 gauge with ugly grey synthetic stock on clearance at a local gun shop for $550 and decided to get that instead. I am really glad I did as it has been an awesome gun. This version of the 3901 was made in Italy (most of the less expensive ones were made in the US with Turkish barrels). Since getting it, I have shot tons of skeet, taken it small game hunting, deer hunting, turkey hunting and more recently quail and upland bird hunting. It is very versatile.

For you, I would look at a used 1100 in a left hand model. A quick search on GunBroker finds a couple well within your price range. That leaves money for another barrel, or to have it refinished (since one in your price range may have some use on it). I'd also start with a 12 gauge and shoot light target loads. The light target loads will be about the same as a normal 20 gauge, but they will feel lighter in the larger, heavier gun.

If you are serious about skeet, then I would not recommend a pump action. You'll have enough things to think about without trying to work that into your game.

Also, a target/field shotgun isn't exactly like our Tacomas. I would not suggest making any serious 'mods' to it. I would recommend getting it fit and spending any left over money on lessons or more shells. Definitely don't go get an 870 and put a tacticool stock on it and then bring it to the skeet fields.[/QUOTE]

Great post.
OP, read this over and over.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #62
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
As for the 20ga vs. 12ga thing, what you're really talking about is the amount of shot it throws. A typical 20 gauge target load throws 7/8 ounce of shot - if your using #8 sized shot, that gives you 425 pellets.
A typical 12ga load has 1 1/8ounce [1.125 oz.] (some go heavier or lighter but lets keep the math simple) and that gives you 545 #8 pellets. So the advantage of a 12ga over a 20ga is that it throws more shot but the disadvantage is that heavier shot charge results in more recoil if all else is equal. (velocity and gun weight)
There's not a huge disadvantage to a 20ga but there is some. The 12ga is FAR more common when we start talking about things other than target shooting. For the record, the barrel diameter of a 20ga. is .615" and a 12ga is .729"- that's a difference of .114" or a little less than 1/8".
As for action types, that depends on what you want to do. If I could only have one shotgun for life I would pick the Remington 870 in 12ga. The 870 has been in production since 1950, they can do it all, they don't break and they WORK.
I've owned and shot a pile of shotguns. Some have been expensive and some have been cheap. When you get right down to it; a shotgun is a tube that launches shot. It needs to fit you and not break or wear out.
For Trap shooting - a single shot will work just fine and there's no disadvantage to a pump gun. For Skeet, an over & under with a single trigger or a semi-auto works better but a pump gun will work if you're determined.
For hunting or self-defense I prefer a pump action. Cheaper, simpler, always works.
As for makes & models, you're going to get a lot of opinion based on what other people have. We all develop some prejudice based on our own decisions but I've found that even cheap shotguns can work well if cared for.
The Remington 870 has a proven track record. I've never seen a Beretta 300 series semi-auto that wouldn't work, even when dirty. The U.S. Marines made the Mossberg 500 series work for them. I've shot just about every make out there and some I liked better than others but what difference does it make what I like?
Pick what works for you.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #63
Interweb wheeler
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm leaning towards the pump. Simply because (in my thoughts) there's less to go wrong. And just to clear it up for everyone, I say "skeet shooting", but I'm referring to the clay pigeons. I found out there is a difference. At any rate, even when a double is thrown it's just about timing it to get the first one fast, pump, and throw a shot at the second one. Really the action is the last of my worries! I am still between the Supernova, 870, and 887.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #64
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
NC10TRDSPORT

Skeet & Trap are both shooting sports that involve shooting clay targets. The difference is how the games are shot. Unless your talking about international Trap or doubles, you only need one round in the gun for trap.
Skeet requires a gun that can fire two shots in quick succession. Skeet can be played with a pump gun (I've seen people that can do it well) but it takes a lot of skill.
A lot of people (incorrectly) refer to any game involving flying clay targets as "Skeet".

As for the 870 / 887 / Supernova choices, those are all good guns with different strengths. Unless you're going to do nothing but stand in the rain and shoot waterfowl; I'd recommend the Remington 870.
The 870 is far more an "all around gun" than the 887 or Supernova.
The 887 and Supernova are designed for low maintenance in wet conditions and have 3 1/2" chambers that are favored for users of steel shot.
Steel shot is mandatory for waterfowl hunting but steel pellets weigh less than the SAME size lead pellets. So to compensate for the reduced mass of steel shot, one uses larger pellets and that requires MORE pellets in the shell to get the same pattern density. That, in turn, requires a longer shell to hold the bigger pellets. 3 1/2" chambers are good when using steel shot but are not needed outside of waterfowl hunting. The 3" chamber on an 870 magnum is a good compromise and of course it can shoot 2 3/4" shells as well.
The 870 has been in continuous production since 1950 and millions have been made. The 870 has been used by the military, law enforcement, hunters and sport shooters for decades. IT WORKS!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #65
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a 12g Yildiz O/U from Academy. I love it. They have great reviews. The only complaint it kicks like a mule.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #66
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
No O/U.
Oops sorry, just read threw the thread.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #67
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 20 ga. Remington 1100 (pump) that I've had since I was little and it kicks a hell of a lot more than my dad's Remington 870 (semi-auto). When its time for a new shotgun, I will either be getting a Super Vinci or a Beretta Extrema II. Or when I will the lotto either way.

OP I would recommend getting a semi-auto 12 ga. If you are going to be shooting skeet mostly, you will appreciate the action more than a pump IMO. You can only eject rounds as fast as the pump will let you, which sometimes is not fast enough to kill the double flying down the hill at you
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #68
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
I just caught the fact that you're left handed. That pushes me even farther into the 870 camp due to the greater availability of LH Remington's. Not to muddy the waters too much, but you might want to consider an old Ithaca 37 or it's newer clone the Browning BPS. They have bottom feed/bottom ejection making them suitable for LH shooters.
The Ithaca 37 was based on the Remington model 17 (designed by John Browning) The Remington 17 went into production in 1921. The Ithaca 37 started in 1937 and the Browning BPS sometime in the late 1970's (all basically the same gun)
The LA Police Department used model 37's for a Looong time!
Just another well proven design and one that is friendly to left handed folks.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #69
Interweb wheeler
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
NC10TRDSPORT

Skeet & Trap are both shooting sports that involve shooting clay targets. The difference is how the games are shot. Unless your talking about international Trap or doubles, you only need one round in the gun for trap.
Skeet requires a gun that can fire two shots in quick succession. Skeet can be played with a pump gun (I've seen people that can do it well) but it takes a lot of skill.
A lot of people (incorrectly) refer to any game involving flying clay targets as "Skeet".

As for the 870 / 887 / Supernova choices, those are all good guns with different strengths. Unless you're going to do nothing but stand in the rain and shoot waterfowl; I'd recommend the Remington 870.
The 870 is far more an "all around gun" than the 887 or Supernova.
The 887 and Supernova are designed for low maintenance in wet conditions and have 3 1/2" chambers that are favored for users of steel shot.
Steel shot is mandatory for waterfowl hunting but steel pellets weigh less than the SAME size lead pellets. So to compensate for the reduced mass of steel shot, one uses larger pellets and that requires MORE pellets in the shell to get the same pattern density. That, in turn, requires a longer shell to hold the bigger pellets. 3 1/2" chambers are good when using steel shot but are not needed outside of waterfowl hunting. The 3" chamber on an 870 magnum is a good compromise and of course it can shoot 2 3/4" shells as well.
The 870 has been in continuous production since 1950 and millions have been made. The 870 has been used by the military, law enforcement, hunters and sport shooters for decades. IT WORKS!
That's why I made my previous post referring to skeet. I am still debating on which direction to go. I haven't stopped at the store to handle them yet. The supernova and 887 will run 2 3/4" shells too
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #70
Don't Let Your Meatloaf
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AR15xAR10's Tacoma Gallery
THE ONLY thing i like about the mossberg 500 over the 870 is the mossberg's top tank safety (because i am left handed). The only mossberg 500 i have handled was worn completely out (extractor fails, and pump jams on the slide back to clear the reciever and load the next round IF the empty gets extracted.

Go with the 870 if you want a pump. 1187 or 1100 if you want a semi. Or the winchester superX if you want the fastest semi.

Invest in a limbsaver recoil pad and even a shooters vest with extra padding. Just hold the gun in tight with your arms up and you can shoot either 20 or 12 all day. Also, you can start out with low brass 2 3/4 in the 12 to get a feel for the kick.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #71
Interweb wheeler

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just caught the fact that you're left handed. That pushes me even farther into the 870 camp due to the greater availability of LH Remington's. Not to muddy the waters too much, but you might want to consider an old Ithaca 37 or it's newer clone the Browning BPS. They have bottom feed/bottom ejection making them suitable for LH shooters.
The Ithaca 37 was based on the Remington model 17 (designed by John Browning) The Remington 17 went into production in 1921. The Ithaca 37 started in 1937 and the Browning BPS sometime in the late 1970's (all basically the same gun)
The LA Police Department used model 37's for a Looong time!
Just another well proven design and one that is friendly to left handed folks.
I saw Rem offers an 870 LH version. I'll get that if I decide on an 870.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #72
Don't Let Your Meatloaf
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I saw Rem offers an 870 LH version. I'll get that if I decide on an 870.
My father has a left handed 870 that we share. I carry it for squirrels when i put feed out for him 3-4 times a week. I love taking the 870 over my 1100 because i don't want to mess up the beautifully finished stock on the 1100. The 870 is just some wood with some clear soaked into it....perfect woods gun.

Keep in mind....LH means more money....i love how they short dick the clearly elite left handers of the world!

If i were to buy my own 870, i would get a right handed one because parts are everywhere and they are cheap when used. I can shoot it and run it from either hand so i don't mind which way the emptys fly past my face lol. GLWP (good luck with purchase)

Also, i don't know if anyone has mentioned the Benelli Nova Pump. I have one in 20 and it is an awesome little gun; I hardly use it when i can use a 12 on anything. But when i was starting out, i lugged that little 20 everywhere....many a slain chimpmunk with that one!!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #73
Don't Let Your Meatloaf

An 870 could get you started into skeet but you'd be better off with a semi or an over and under. Pumps are cheap and can do anything but are better suited for hunting and self defense when you want the full power of the load and not lose any energy to chambering another round as a semi would.

For skeet, you'd be better off with an over and under style....and they are pretty pricey.

If all you want to do is try skeet shooting and have a shotgun for pretty much anything an 870 would be perfect.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #74
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
...... Pumps are cheap and can do anything but are better suited for hunting and self defense when you want the full power of the load and not lose any energy to chambering another round as a semi would.
Care to elaborate on that comment? I wouldn't want to get shot with any type of shotgun, or any gun at all for that matter. Just how much energy do you think is "lost" by the cycling of the action? The three major types of semi auto shotgun actions are long recoil (Browning Auto-5 or Remington 11-48 come to mind), Inertia operated (such as a Benelli) and gas operated (like the Remington 1100, 11-87 and Beretta 390's etc.)
The long recoil and inertia systems lose nothing and the amount of gas bleed off to operate a semi-auto is so insignificant that I doubt it can be measured as a loss of velocity at the muzzle.

That being said, a good quality pump action is a sound system.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #75
Don't Let Your Meatloaf

Quote:
Care to elaborate on that comment? I wouldn't want to get shot with any type of shotgun, or any gun at all for that matter. Just how much energy do you think is "lost" by the cycling of the action? The three major types of semi auto shotgun actions are long recoil (Browning Auto-5 or Remington 11-48 come to mind), Inertia operated (such as a Benelli) and gas operated (like the Remington 1100, 11-87 and Beretta 390's etc.)
The long recoil and inertia systems lose nothing and the amount of gas bleed off to operate a semi-auto is so insignificant that I doubt it can be measured as a loss of velocity at the muzzle.

That being said, a good quality pump action is a sound system.

Point being....gas used to cycle, ALTHOUGH IT MAY ONLY BE A SMALL AMOUNT, may infact...result in SOME loss of muzzle velocity.

If there is any chance that something won't kill/hit as hard/fast/efficently for any reason, even a made up one, some people may latch onto it and it be the reason they get what they think is best. Freedom of choice and opinion is a wonderful thing.

Glad someone more educated than myself was able to put in their $.02...i am just a kid...

And no one WANTS to be shot with any weapon esspecially a boomstick.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #76
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
2 choices that you would be happy with. Mossberg 500 or remington 870. both simple guns, do what they say, and will last a long time. either or.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #77
blisters
dubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the sheddubbedSinner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dubbedSinner's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Remington 887 tactical and I love it. The gun just looks bad ass and it shoots great. Plus with the "supercell" recoil pad as they call it the blow is way less. I've shot it many times and the kick isn't that bad for a 12 gauge. I've been thinking about selling it if you're interested.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #78
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 870 pump, mine is over 40 years old, passed down to me from my dad after he passed away. You simply can't go wrong with this gun.
Shooting skeet with a pump is where it's at, don't let anybody say otherwise.

12 gauge imo is the most versatile shotgun there is. No current shortage of shells. 20 gauge is fun too, get both.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #79
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbedSinner View Post
I have a Remington 887 tactical and I love it. The gun just looks bad ass and it shoots great. Plus with the "supercell" recoil pad as they call it the blow is way less. I've shot it many times and the kick isn't that bad for a 12 gauge. I've been thinking about selling it if you're interested.
Tacticool is always in vogue