Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Need some help cleaning skulls.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Need some help cleaning skulls.

Anyone have any tricks or tips besides just boiling the hell out of a skull to get it clean? My dad and I always boiled deer heads to clean them up, but being young, then, I didn't realize how much of a pain in the ass it actually is to get it completely void of any and all tissue.

I am cleaning rabbit skulls for a display and these little things are delicate as all hell and I don't wanna boil them for too long for fear of the bone structure getting too soft and breaking. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future05taco2.7 has a brilliant future
Name: JIMSTER
05taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Bleach?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
What about a local place that has the beatles
I live on Terceira Island in the middle of the Atlantic ocean so I am kinda stuck doin this manually haha. That's the first thing I thought of though. Thanks anyways.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #5

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05taco2.7 View Post
Bleach?
Do you make a bleach/water mix or just straight bleach?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry bud just saw that in your location. The only thing is be careful not to boil to long like you said cause teeth will fall out when skull softens
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Sorry bud just saw that in your location. The only thing is be careful not to boil to long like you said cause teeth will fall out when skull softens
Noted. Thanks for the help dude.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
BullMoose
BullMoose is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic
BullMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Bleach can make the skull super brittle. It's a time sensitive process. I always scrape as much tissue off as possible and boil in peroxide. It'll be super white and not near as brittle. Then if you want them show quality, a little clear lacquer sprayed in a light coat looks great.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #10

F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMoose View Post
Bleach can make the skull super brittle. It's a time sensitive process. I always scrape as much tissue off as possible and boil in peroxide. It'll be super white and not near as brittle. Then if you want them show quality, a little clear lacquer sprayed in a light coat looks great.
Peroxide is a good idea. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Ant hill ?
Too many cats in the neighborhood to run off with the skull. The cats will be the next skull I'm cleaning.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16TACO View Post
Peroxide is a good idea. Thanks man.

Too many cats in the neighborhood to run off with the skull. The cats will be the next skull I'm cleaning.
Put a milk crate over the top of it with a large cinder block/brick/old tire on top of it. let the ants get the chewy stuff and keep the unwanted feline out
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
Try this method (cold water maceration) http://boneshoppe.blogspot.com/2011/...taxidermy.html
Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
When I do my deer and elk heads I put them on a low boil and put a bunch of dish soap in as a degreaser. After the skulls are free of meat and cartilage I paint on a 40% peroxide that you could buy at most beauty salons.