LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

3D Printed 1911

Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
3D Printed 1911

http://blog.solidconcepts.com/indust...ted-metal-gun/
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
The problem you run into with these 'printed' items is structural rigidity. When you create something layer by layer as they do you inherently create microscopic weak points layer by later and these decrease reliability substantially and cause weak points that fail. I have a buddy who's friend is in the industry that produces the liquid plastics they print and he says that the product that could sustain an AR15 like they're trying to print likely won't exist in our lifetime. It's just the nature of the beast and laws of physics still win at this point. The idea of the average person being able to inexpensively produce their own firearm was the draw of the printer AR15 lowers but the reliability is the issue. This would be more durable (I still wouldn't want to shoot one in my hand as they do in the video) than the plastic version but still not durable enough. High pressures and harmonic waves will eventually break it apart and I wouldn't want to be holding it in my bare hand when that happens. It's cool to see discharged with a string from behind a ballistic panel but to see them stand there and hold it to fire... I cringe. Someone is going to lose some fingers trying to produce something nobody cares about. Primarily because DMLS machines are stupid expensive and will be for decades to come so it's not like the average Joe can produce their own 1911 with a connected home PC which was the idea of the printed AR15 lower.