Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
BrownMike is on a distinguished road

Navy:
BrownMike's Tacoma Gallery
I have a few bags, for varying purposes:

Condition 1 "Tactical Deployment Bag" -$15
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-541
Great little EDC pack to keep in my truck, loaded with all the usual stuff I might need in case of emergency: Flashlight, paracord, sharpie/pen, tide stick, tire gauge, "survival" knife, pocket knife, leatherman, razor blades, lighters, allen wrench sets, Plhilips/flathead screwdrivers, sweatband, hand sanitzer, tissues, q tips, flask, latex gloves, condoms, alcohol swabs, advil, Vitamin B, couple snack bars, and I think a few other small items Im forgetting. Only downside its the storm flaps make the zippers hard to manipulate, flip them back and its fine. Great buy for $15, sometimes marked to $10

Drago "5 Day assault Pack" -$56
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-980
Big open spacious backpack, took this one to the East Coast for a week as my main carry on, and the little bag above. Fits a tons of shit, and unfortunately more then the bag is rated for, the stitching on this bag isnt great, the shoulder strap has started to pull out about 1/4 of the way on both sides, the straps lack cushioning which makes it uncomfortable fully loaded too, the removable waist belt doesnt fit small frame people (5'9" 150lb athletic build). For light everyday stuff this is a good pack to throw clothes, jackets, and couple snacks in. Until it gets repaired, not using the pack for on the go. Bag does hold alot and easy to access most of it, but def on the lower quality scale.

Red Rock "Large Assault Pack" -$49 (MSRP $69)
http://redrockoutdoorgear.com/large-assault-pack#
Picked this one up as a intermediate between my other packs, at the swap meet for $49 with a ghetto hydration bladder. About half the size of the Drago, and fits almost as much. Much higher quality, better padding, everything fits. Comfortable even with 30 pounds of gear, a slew of compartments that are handy for everything and opens up all the way to access things at the bottom better. Velcro tabs on almost all the straps keeps them tied out of the way. It became my new EDC bag as well as for hiking. Not truly hydrations compatible as even the 2L bladder sticks out the back pouch, but it works. Good quality and closest to milsurp style and quality Ive seen for a decent price.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got the $30 bag from LAPG and its a decent bag for the price. I had it loaded up and took my dog for a walk and realized why its only 30 bucks. It was not comfortable to wear for anything over 2 miles... So as long as you dont think you will ever have to wear it then you should be ok.

I also have a blackhawk Titan bag with built in hydration and its damn nice. but its also was over 100 bucks.

I also like to stay away from camo as I feel it would attract unwanted attention in the even of something bad happening and me needing to use the pack. If the worst thing is getting a flat tire and needing to walk a mile or two to a gas station then it wouldnt big a big deal
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I have a 3-day pack and bailout bag both from LAPG

love both. super durable
I bought their private label 3 day pack as my BOB and loved it. Then one day I was trying to overstuff one of the front pouches and the zipper seam just fell apart. Overall I really liked the bag, especially at the $29.99 sale price I got it for.

My BOB is now the 5.11 Rush 72, but it's out of OP's price range and you would have to rig up a scabbard to one of the sides. Eberlestock has the absolute best options for this, but you'll pay $300+ for a good rig.

Condor's assault packs are fantastic for the price they're in. Not sure how you'd rig a scabbard except on the side or back of the larger of the two assault packs though. Hard leverage on the back, since you'll want the scabbard right behind the wearer's back. Check Amazon for the best Condor assault pack prices.

Good luck, OP! I love your gift idea.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I bought their private label 3 day pack as my BOB and loved it. Then one day I was trying to overstuff one of the front pouches and the zipper seam just fell apart. Overall I really liked the bag, especially at the $29.99 sale price I got it for.

My BOB is now the 5.11 Rush 72, but it's out of OP's price range and you would have to rig up a scabbard to one of the sides. Eberlestock has the absolute best options for this, but you'll pay $300+ for a good rig.

Condor's assault packs are fantastic for the price they're in. Not sure how you'd rig a scabbard except on the side or back of the larger of the two assault packs though. Hard leverage on the back, since you'll want the scabbard right behind the wearer's back. Check Amazon for the best Condor assault pack prices.

both my bags have carried a lot of gear and beer in a lot of different conditions. overall, i'm a big fan of LAPG
Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #25
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Maybe you should clarify what you want to do with this bag. Is it to walk out of a disaster zone with 36-hr essentials for a family of 4, or is it a grab n go bag for a guy who wants to use it as a web gear substitute to support his AR15? For instance, I have a get home bag with supplies for one overnight stay planning for exposure to MO winters, because I work about 12 miles from home and I figure I could walk home easily in one day if I had to abandon my truck. It's not a fighting rig, and it's stocked completely differently than the grab-n-go bag I keep packed at home in my safe next to the AR15. There is actually a really great bug out bag thread somewhere on this site. If I wasn't on my phone I'd find it for you.
I would call its use escape and evade with defensive capabilities. Emphasis on survival with a dash of firepower.

Quote:

Thank you. Condor Pack and many accessories inbound. Now working on some items to put in it. Thus far: small roll duct tape, zip ties, rubber bands, 100' of paracord, tweezers, dust mask, superglue, small prybar, sanitary wipes, small first aid kit, ziplock bags, oral hygene items, and a keychain knife.

I'm not looking to fully stock the bag, but to just get some of the "essentials" taken care of. Going to add: pepper spray, chem lights, bandana, small assortment of batteries, some mechanics wire, possibly a crank operated NOAA radio. What other small items can I add? Leaving the bigger stuff up to him. (knives, lights, nav gear, munitions, etc)

Also bought him some funny patches and name tapes to put on the pack. Found a site that will put *anything you want on a name tape!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Any opinions on a bag for my wife? I have an IBLE like the one listed above, but was wanting something smaller for her but still bigger than a back pack and still have the waist strap.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #27
smartmonkey is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
smartmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Condor from LAPG. Perfect size. fits neatly on any ATV and is the only one i use doing any traveling on my KLR650. The arcteryx is too long in my opinion for anything but backpacking but is well made. Ive had no problems with the Condor at all and it carries alot.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #28
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmonkey View Post
I have the Condor from LAPG. Perfect size. fits neatly on any ATV and is the only one i use doing any traveling on my KLR650. The arcteryx is too long in my opinion for anything but backpacking but is well made. Ive had no problems with the Condor at all and it carries alot.
Just about what I was looking for thanks!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #29
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
Any opinions on a bag for my wife? I have an IBLE like the one listed above, but was wanting something smaller for her but still bigger than a back pack and still have the waist strap.
There are pack options for women that are more fitted for their frame size. I think the shoulders will be narrower on them.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
both my bags have carried a lot of gear and beer in a lot of different conditions. overall, i'm a big fan of LAPG
Me, too. I was wearing their private label operator pants on the Log Corral meet.

I had their 3 day pack for 2 years before that front seam gave way. I was trying to force another molle pouch into it and was straining on the zipper. Still, I was sad it failed. Another complaint I had with that bag was that the back was soft, so when it was fully loaded it would "round out" and press weird against my back. But for the money, great bag to grab and go. I threw it in the back of my truck dozens of times and repacked it more ways than I can count.

Now that I have that Rush 72 bag, I can fit 50% more inside of it than I could with the LAPG bag and it wears so much better on my back. Bigger waistband with molle, bigger shoulder straps, lots more molle, better organized outer pouch storage, and a flatter back because of the plastic sheet in the hydration compartment. Quadruple the price but it was worth it.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #31

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
I would call its use escape and evade with defensive capabilities. Emphasis on survival with a dash of firepower.

Thank you. Condor Pack and many accessories inbound. Now working on some items to put in it. Thus far: small roll duct tape, zip ties, rubber bands, 100' of paracord, tweezers, dust mask, superglue, small prybar, sanitary wipes, small first aid kit, ziplock bags, oral hygene items, and a keychain knife.

I'm not looking to fully stock the bag, but to just get some of the "essentials" taken care of. Going to add: pepper spray, chem lights, bandana, small assortment of batteries, some mechanics wire, possibly a crank operated NOAA radio. What other small items can I add? Leaving the bigger stuff up to him. (knives, lights, nav gear, munitions, etc)

Also bought him some funny patches and name tapes to put on the pack. Found a site that will put *anything you want on a name tape!
What about a decent multitool instead of just tweezers and a keychain knife? How about also a cheap "survival" knife with paracord wrap, such as this?

http://www.amazon.com/Survivor-HK-10.../dp/B00178CS4K

You won't cut down a tree with it, but it will get the job done for cheap and it comes with a firesteel.

Pick up one of those cheap wire saws, too. You know... stuff to build a shelter with. A cheap 8' tarp goes a long way, and those mylar bivvy sacks are a lifesaver. Maybe some Datrex calorie bars, water purifier tabs, etc? Cheap stuff that can extend a survival situation for days. Wire animal snare set? Mini fishing kit?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Me, too. I was wearing their private label operator pants on the Log Corral meet.

I had their 3 day pack for 2 years before that front seam gave way. I was trying to force another molle pouch into it and was straining on the zipper. Still, I was sad it failed. Another complaint I had with that bag was that the back was soft, so when it was fully loaded it would "round out" and press weird against my back. But for the money, great bag to grab and go. I threw it in the back of my truck dozens of times and repacked it more ways than I can count.

Now that I have that Rush 72 bag, I can fit 50% more inside of it than I could with the LAPG bag and it wears so much better on my back. Bigger waistband with molle, bigger shoulder straps, lots more molle, better organized outer pouch storage, and a flatter back because of the plastic sheet in the hydration compartment. Quadruple the price but it was worth it.
Oh really? I had my 3 day pack in Tyler's truck.

Mines going on 4 years now? I agree on the back part to it. But no strains, rips or tears one mine and it sees use every other day or so. If it breaks or fails, the. I'll look into the rush 72 bag as a replacement, but like you said. For the price you can't go wrong.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #33

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh really? I had my 3 day pack in Tyler's truck.

Mines going on 4 years now? I agree on the back part to it. But no strains, rips or tears one mine and it sees use every other day or so. If it breaks or fails, the. I'll look into the rush 72 bag as a replacement, but like you said. For the price you can't go wrong.
I'm going to try and have my g/f re-stitch it back up because I want to use this as my overflow BOB for the family. Every other stitch and seam on that bag is in perfect shape.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #34
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about a decent multitool instead of just tweezers and a keychain knife? How about also a cheap "survival" knife with paracord wrap, such as this?

http://www.amazon.com/Survivor-HK-10.../dp/B00178CS4K

You won't cut down a tree with it, but it will get the job done for cheap and it comes with a firesteel.

Pick up one of those cheap wire saws, too. You know... stuff to build a shelter with. A cheap 8' tarp goes a long way, and those mylar bivvy sacks are a lifesaver. Maybe some Datrex calorie bars, water purifier tabs, etc? Cheap stuff that can extend a survival situation for days. Wire animal snare set? Mini fishing kit?
Thanks for the suggestions! Considered a multitool, but didn't want to go cheap and didn't want to blow my budget. A small spring trap came to mind, but have not investigated. I like the drybag idea. He has been buying some items such as fishing equipment, waterproof matches, survival straw, firesteel, etc. But is not assembling into a pack. I think he is going with gamma buckets and caches at the moment. He's just begun to prep, so hopefully he won't buy a BOB before Christmas!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #35

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Considered a multitool, but didn't want to go cheap and didn't want to blow my budget. A small spring trap came to mind, but have not investigated. I like the drybag idea. He has been buying some items such as fishing equipment, waterproof matches, survival straw, firesteel, etc. But is not assembling into a pack. I think he is going with gamma buckets and caches at the moment. He's just begun to prep, so hopefully he won't buy a BOB before Christmas!
Even if he gets a BOB before you give him this one, he'll have an overflow BOB either for another family member or travel companion.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #36
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I'm hoping this for x mas.
http://grabagun.com/g-outdoors-inc-h...FcJ7QgodRB4AcQ
Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #37

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
I saw a great deal for a london bridge backpack.
http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-pac...ault-pack.html

These are very good quality.
Can't Rep again yet BUT...

wanted to say thank you! I waited around and ended up grabbing this
http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-pac...ruck-3121.html

...for $99.00!

Thanks for putting me onto LBTC

Also: The Condor bag was received very well. Recipient was more than pleased. Thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #38
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
No problem man glad I could help you out.

Products Discussed in this Thread