Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bug out bag/backpack help

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Bug out bag/backpack help

In need of some assistance. Looking to buy a bugout bag as a christmas gift. Started doing some research and am getting overwhelmed.

Looking for suggestions as to manufacturer of a good pack/bag. I have been looking at some stuff on LAPG and 5.11. Not looking to spend a whole lot of money, but don't want junk either. Ideally, the setup would have a scabbard for a long gun, but those types seem to be out of price range. Have a "set" dollar amount I'd like to spend of $100...possibly a little more if there is a scabbard involved. I will stock this bag with a few bare necessities, but will leave it up to the recipient to customize to their liking.

What have you got? What have you used? What would you like to have?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
rjp4419 will become famous soon enough
Army:
rjp4419's Tacoma Gallery
if you want it to hold a long weapon, be comfortable for long period of time best in my opinion is and eberlestock. but little more then your want to spend
Old 11-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I got you, bro. You want true military issue Marine quality on a bag designed by Arcteryx?

Boom.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/916...k-nylon-marpat

You will thank me later. No reason to buy a different bag unless you're not looking for a big one. This is a big one, like Kelty frame pack size and I think it's the best mil-surp deals to come along since the $75 Mosin Nagant.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I got you, bro. You want true military issue Marine quality on a bag designed by Arcteryx?

Boom.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/916...k-nylon-marpat

You will thank me later. No reason to buy a different bag unless you're not looking for a big one. This is a big one, like Kelty frame pack size and I think it's the best mil-surp deals to come along since the $75 Mosin Nagant.
Where is this $75 mosin you speak of..... I just paid $140 on sale for one!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
^ This, that's what I have!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Where is this $75 mosin you speak of..... I just paid $140 on sale for one!
That's my point. If you don't buy an ILBE for $80, you'll wish you did when they're $150. Like all mil-surp, the supply chain will run out and prices will go up.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from a TW member but that was a year ago. Check EBay. Can't beat the IBLE, it's just as good as any $250 bag!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3-day pack and bailout bag both from LAPG

love both. super durable
Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am looking very hard at Condor products now. Their pricing is attractive and I really like their accessory pack selection.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical...ault-pack.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tg-va7-pack-insert.html

Now, I have seen in past years people scoring good deals at LAPG on black Friday. Do they generally run a storewide discount, or only on selected items? Want to get bought now, but will wait if good deals are ahead.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a great deal for a london bridge backpack.
http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-pac...ault-pack.html

These are very good quality.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #11

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StZu View Post
I saw a great deal for a london bridge backpack.
http://lbtinc.com/bags-backpacks-pac...ault-pack.html

These are very good quality.
Gotdayom that sure is a good price! Why you gotta go and do that after I have prettymuch settled on Condor??

New plan developing...looks like *I may be getting a pack for Christmas!!

Thanks for the link.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
$100?

DO NOT look at Kifaru. just dont.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of these: http://www.lapolicegear.com/tg-hcb2-carrier-two.html

Condor hydration carrier. They're small but have 2 pockets and it keeps me from overloading it. I use mine for a "get home" bag. It has my first aid kit, some paracord, knives, flashlights, map, compass, fire starter, and a couple snacks. Plus it holds a hydration bladder! It serves its purpose very well and makes a nice companion on a bike ride or on my fourwheeler
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
$100?

DO NOT look at Kifaru. just dont.
Oh. My. God. those make my $300 backpack looks like thirft store specials....

Old 11-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Sandpiper of California (SOC) make some great bags. I've had one of their bugout bags since 2002 and 3 desert deployments and I'm still using it.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
mromeo is on a distinguished road

Army: Rigger/Paratrooper
Name: Mike
mromeo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
Sandpiper of California (SOC) make some great bags. I've had one of their bugout bags since 2002 and 3 desert deployments and I'm still using it.
I agree, Ive got a Long Range Bug out from SOC and its pretty awesome. Its $170 and out of stock right now though. But like all of their packs it holds up well.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #17

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
I have looked at many of the mentioned products, but all the "good stuff" is way off budget. Ideally, the Erblestock Gunslinger II or Operator would be an excellent pack for the giftee as he is a bit of a firearms enthusiast....enthusiast is a bit weak...gun nut.

The Condor 3 day is what he is getting with a multitude of accessory pouches/attachments and some goodies tucked in as well. Most reviews are great and it looks to be a nice pack.

Would like to keep this thread rolling. Lots of great info here. So...

Tips/tricks, must have accessories/gadgets, bladders, patches? How do you load out your pack?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
I have looked at many of the mentioned products, but all the "good stuff" is way off budget. Ideally, the Erblestock Gunslinger II or Operator would be an excellent pack for the giftee as he is a bit of a firearms enthusiast....enthusiast is a bit weak...gun nut.

The Condor 3 day is what he is getting with a multitude of accessory pouches/attachments and some goodies tucked in as well. Most reviews are great and it looks to be a nice pack.

Would like to keep this thread rolling. Lots of great info here. So...

Tips/tricks, must have accessories/gadgets, bladders, patches? How do you load out your pack?
Well, I believe in having most if the essentials on a chest rig, but if he isnt running one of those I'd say first aide pouch with the life saving gear in it, map pouch, flashlight etc.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #19

Maybe you should clarify what you want to do with this bag. Is it to walk out of a disaster zone with 36-hr essentials for a family of 4, or is it a grab n go bag for a guy who wants to use it as a web gear substitute to support his AR15? For instance, I have a get home bag with supplies for one overnight stay planning for exposure to MO winters, because I work about 12 miles from home and I figure I could walk home easily in one day if I had to abandon my truck. It's not a fighting rig, and it's stocked completely differently than the grab-n-go bag I keep packed at home in my safe next to the AR15. There is actually a really great bug out bag thread somewhere on this site. If I wasn't on my phone I'd find it for you.

Products Discussed in this Thread