1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by kristopherl, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mar 15, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl [OP] AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    I am thinking of buying A Liberty fire rated gun safe (23cu.ft). I'm trying to stay around 1 grand. The warranty covers the safe (replaces) if someone damages it from trying to break into it or if it's in a fire. Anyone else have a suggestion?

2. Mar 15, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I don't know anything about individual brands of safes. I've got an American Security safe that's a couple of years old and I like it fine, think I paid around $1200 including delivery. It'd take a pretty determined group of burglars to get it......took four guys over an hour to get it into my house, and that was when it was empty. I'd definitely pay attention to the fire rating. A warranty which replaces the safe is good, but doesn't cover your guns/valuables so you also might want to consider some insurance for the contents, depending on the value, cost of insurance, etc. Homeowner policies don't typically cover guns and other valuables above a certain amount without a rider. And no, I'm not an insurance salesman!! :)

3. Mar 15, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    jimbo623

jimbo623 Jimbo

Member:
    Pueblo
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road
    Grillcraft Grill, Hella Black Magics, ICON shocks w/ remote reservoir, Total Chaos UCAs, Tom Woods Drive Shaft, TSB springs, LED Dome light, Redline Hood struts, Slotted rotors, WheatherTech Mats, Ultra Gauge, and Illuminated 4x4 switch
    If you're looking for a great safe that is really well built then look into the Fort Knox line of safes. They have all kinds of makes and models that can fit your needs, not to mention that they have some really neat upgrades that can be incorporated into the design. One of the biggest selling points for myself was that all Fort Knox safes have a UL listing which is accepted by your homeowners insurance. Another thing to look into is the actual weight of the item. Can two men remove the safe with minimal effort? All reasons to look into Ft. Knox. Hope this helps!

4. Mar 15, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    HA! :) thanks for the info. Didn't think of the fact that some insurance companies don't cover guns.

5. Mar 15, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I don't know if you have a GI Joes near you but here they carry Canon and several other gun safe brands and seem to run a sale practically every week

6. Mar 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    NUKEWORKER_69

NUKEWORKER_69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    Whatever you end up getting try and get the biggest safe you can afford. Trust me you WILL fill it up no matter what size you get. I only had about 5 guns when I got my safe and I am starting to run out of room. You will end up keeping photos, cameras, birth cert ammo, etc..

7. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I have a Heritage, had it for around 8 years. I ended up gutting the inside of mine and completely rebuild the inside. I didn't like the fact of moving guns just to get to ones behind them. I got the big one, and made it "U" shape out of white oak from the farm.
    And true, you will add more than guns to it, keep the top shelf, to store stuff.
    I use to keep ammo in it also, but ended up getting a fire proof box for it.

8. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    forgot to add this, check for a sticker inside the door, most good safes are UL listed, and the should have a fire rating inside and out and a burn time along with the serial number.
    Make sure to contact the safe manufacturer with your serial number, unless the store your purchase it at does it. They will help you if you forget combo or have an issue. BUT if you do need help, you will need to see a notary for proof of who you are before they will help you out.

:eek: been there done that.

9. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    kristopherl

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    All good information Bill... thanks for the advise :thumbsup:

10. Mar 16, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Check into Cabelas named safes. They're made by Liberty, just w/ Cabelas paint on the front. You may be able to find a deal. I was at the Cabelas in Wheeling, WV last year, and they were having safe specials. They were good deals compared to the exact same thing w/ Liberty on the front. BOTH liberty safes.

11. Mar 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    My Dad has one in the basement and what he did was drill foot deep holes in the concrete floor and bolted the safe to the foundation. No way ion hell you'd get that thing out.

12. Mar 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    bryan83taco

bryan83taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4

+1

You will fill it up quicker than you think. Spend the extra dough and get a bigger safe.

13. Mar 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I need a safe and we keep putting it off....

The things we've been looking for (and want) is the dial combination AND/OR a key to open it. I don't like the electronic (battery operated) keypads.

Having door lock mechanisms (bars) on the top & sides of the door also is a good quality safe (and $$$).

Any gun or hunting/fishing shows in your area? There's always safe vendors at those shows and sometimes you can find good deals on the brands your looking for.

Also, check out any lock/safe/key companies near you. Although $$$ - you can find exactly what you want and many to chose from.

X2 on the size. Not only can you use it for guns/ammo - but for important documents, jewelry, and anything you don't want destroyed in a fire.

14. Mar 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Agreed....buy bigger than you need.
    Re fire rating....my bro in law bought the biggest baddest Ft Knox...paid like $4k.....house fire ruined everything inside....he got insurance $, insurance co has useless, charred guns.
    Firerating doesn't mean much.

15. Mar 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    Golf Man

Golf Man Active Member

Member:
    Northern IL
    Vehicle:
    Gray 2008 TRD / Tow Package
    I've got a Winchester.............short of some wacked out residential burglar bringing a cutting torch with him, I feel safe. It's not going to be carried anywhere. Winchester is made by the Grant Safe Company. Grant has been around for some time.

16. Mar 19, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    This thing is 7 gauge steel and weighs 1250 lbs....built like a tank and fire lined.

P3070005.jpg

17. Mar 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    Rule #1, pick out the one you want then get the next size up. I am sooo glad I did that. We went with heritage. If you compare them side by side with a Liberty , when you cloce the liberty you will hear the door sort of clunk shut. Like a typical safe. When you close a heritage it sounds like you are closing your refrigerator door, virtually air tight. Being that I live in Mobile and are prone to hurricanes and flooding this is a plus. We also saw a liberty at the liberty outlet here that was in a fire and you could see the outline of the soot and smoke inside the safe. Nothing burned but it was covered with smoke. The two drawbacks to my heritage were the $2500 price tag and the fact that the size we got will only fit through an exterior door in the house. So once it is in the front door, there is no moving it from room to room, beside the thing weighs like 1500-1600 lbs. Overall, I am so glad we got the larger on and also the heritage brand.

18. Mar 19, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Check out the SturdySafe web site, it has some great info on safe features, what to look for and some interesting videos. I think this company started out, and continues, as a safe repair company and started making safes based on what they learned of the good and bad designs.

19. Mar 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    good advice from NUKEWORKER for sure.
    I have had a Cannon safe for many years. Got a great deal on it and have had no problems with it........mine is from the traditional series. Haven't had to try out the theft or fire features..........hope I never do. Also, get a dehumidity rod for whichever one you do get.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/

20. Mar 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    J kool

J kool Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4,TRD INT, UC.COVER,TSB-SUSP,IVANS,
    TRD INTAKE,TSB SUSP,UNDERCOVER COVER,AVID OFFROAD BAR
    "Fire rating"..... we live outside of town so we had to figure how long it would take for the fire dept. to get to us and how long it would take to get the fire out. Just something to think about.... +2 on getting the next larger size.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top