Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Gun Safes

Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Gun Safes

I am thinking of buying A Liberty fire rated gun safe (23cu.ft). I'm trying to stay around 1 grand. The warranty covers the safe (replaces) if someone damages it from trying to break into it or if it's in a fire. Anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
HardCase will become famous soon enough

Army: Medic
HardCase's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know anything about individual brands of safes. I've got an American Security safe that's a couple of years old and I like it fine, think I paid around $1200 including delivery. It'd take a pretty determined group of burglars to get it......took four guys over an hour to get it into my house, and that was when it was empty. I'd definitely pay attention to the fire rating. A warranty which replaces the safe is good, but doesn't cover your guns/valuables so you also might want to consider some insurance for the contents, depending on the value, cost of insurance, etc. Homeowner policies don't typically cover guns and other valuables above a certain amount without a rider. And no, I'm not an insurance salesman!!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Jimbo
jimbo623 is on a distinguished road

jimbo623's Tacoma Gallery
Fort Knox

If you're looking for a great safe that is really well built then look into the Fort Knox line of safes. They have all kinds of makes and models that can fit your needs, not to mention that they have some really neat upgrades that can be incorporated into the design. One of the biggest selling points for myself was that all Fort Knox safes have a UL listing which is accepted by your homeowners insurance. Another thing to look into is the actual weight of the item. Can two men remove the safe with minimal effort? All reasons to look into Ft. Knox. Hope this helps!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I don't know anything about individual brands of safes. I've got an American Security safe that's a couple of years old and I like it fine, think I paid around $1200 including delivery. It'd take a pretty determined group of burglars to get it......took four guys over an hour to get it into my house, and that was when it was empty. I'd definitely pay attention to the fire rating. A warranty which replaces the safe is good, but doesn't cover your guns/valuables so you also might want to consider some insurance for the contents, depending on the value, cost of insurance, etc. Homeowner policies don't typically cover guns and other valuables above a certain amount without a rider. And no, I'm not an insurance salesman!!
HA! thanks for the info. Didn't think of the fact that some insurance companies don't cover guns.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if you have a GI Joes near you but here they carry Canon and several other gun safe brands and seem to run a sale practically every week
Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
NUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to behold

NUKEWORKER_69's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you end up getting try and get the biggest safe you can afford. Trust me you WILL fill it up no matter what size you get. I only had about 5 guns when I got my safe and I am starting to run out of room. You will end up keeping photos, cameras, birth cert ammo, etc..
Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Heritage, had it for around 8 years. I ended up gutting the inside of mine and completely rebuild the inside. I didn't like the fact of moving guns just to get to ones behind them. I got the big one, and made it "U" shape out of white oak from the farm.
And true, you will add more than guns to it, keep the top shelf, to store stuff.
I use to keep ammo in it also, but ended up getting a fire proof box for it.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
forgot to add this, check for a sticker inside the door, most good safes are UL listed, and the should have a fire rating inside and out and a burn time along with the serial number.
Make sure to contact the safe manufacturer with your serial number, unless the store your purchase it at does it. They will help you if you forget combo or have an issue. BUT if you do need help, you will need to see a notary for proof of who you are before they will help you out.

been there done that.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
forgot to add this, check for a sticker inside the door, most good safes are UL listed, and the should have a fire rating inside and out and a burn time along with the serial number.
Make sure to contact the safe manufacturer with your serial number, unless the store your purchase it at does it. They will help you if you forget combo or have an issue. BUT if you do need help, you will need to see a notary for proof of who you are before they will help you out.

been there done that.
All good information Bill... thanks for the advise
Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Check into Cabelas named safes. They're made by Liberty, just w/ Cabelas paint on the front. You may be able to find a deal. I was at the Cabelas in Wheeling, WV last year, and they were having safe specials. They were good deals compared to the exact same thing w/ Liberty on the front. BOTH liberty safes.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad has one in the basement and what he did was drill foot deep holes in the concrete floor and bolted the safe to the foundation. No way ion hell you'd get that thing out.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #12
bryan83taco is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, HSC 3/7 SFG (A)
bryan83taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKEWORKER_69 View Post
Whatever you end up getting try and get the biggest safe you can afford. Trust me you WILL fill it up no matter what size you get. I only had about 5 guns when I got my safe and I am starting to run out of room. You will end up keeping photos, cameras, birth cert ammo, etc..

+1

You will fill it up quicker than you think. Spend the extra dough and get a bigger safe.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My husband and I need a safe and we keep putting it off....

The things we've been looking for (and want) is the dial combination AND/OR a key to open it. I don't like the electronic (battery operated) keypads.

Having door lock mechanisms (bars) on the top & sides of the door also is a good quality safe (and $$$).

Any gun or hunting/fishing shows in your area? There's always safe vendors at those shows and sometimes you can find good deals on the brands your looking for.

Also, check out any lock/safe/key companies near you. Although $$$ - you can find exactly what you want and many to chose from.

X2 on the size. Not only can you use it for guns/ammo - but for important documents, jewelry, and anything you don't want destroyed in a fire.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed....buy bigger than you need.
Re fire rating....my bro in law bought the biggest baddest Ft Knox...paid like $4k.....house fire ruined everything inside....he got insurance $, insurance co has useless, charred guns.
Firerating doesn't mean much.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
Golf Man will become famous soon enough
Golf Man's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Winchester.............short of some wacked out residential burglar bringing a cutting torch with him, I feel safe. It's not going to be carried anywhere. Winchester is made by the Grant Safe Company. Grant has been around for some time.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
My new Sturdy Safe......made in Fresno...

This thing is 7 gauge steel and weighs 1250 lbs....built like a tank and fire lined.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Safes-p3070005.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Rule #1, pick out the one you want then get the next size up. I am sooo glad I did that. We went with heritage. If you compare them side by side with a Liberty , when you cloce the liberty you will hear the door sort of clunk shut. Like a typical safe. When you close a heritage it sounds like you are closing your refrigerator door, virtually air tight. Being that I live in Mobile and are prone to hurricanes and flooding this is a plus. We also saw a liberty at the liberty outlet here that was in a fire and you could see the outline of the soot and smoke inside the safe. Nothing burned but it was covered with smoke. The two drawbacks to my heritage were the $2500 price tag and the fact that the size we got will only fit through an exterior door in the house. So once it is in the front door, there is no moving it from room to room, beside the thing weighs like 1500-1600 lbs. Overall, I am so glad we got the larger on and also the heritage brand.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the SturdySafe web site, it has some great info on safe features, what to look for and some interesting videos. I think this company started out, and continues, as a safe repair company and started making safes based on what they learned of the good and bad designs.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKEWORKER_69 View Post
good advice from NUKEWORKER for sure.
I have had a Cannon safe for many years. Got a great deal on it and have had no problems with it........mine is from the traditional series. Haven't had to try out the theft or fire features..........hope I never do. Also, get a dehumidity rod for whichever one you do get.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/
Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #20
J kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of lightJ kool is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Retired
J kool's Tacoma Gallery
"Fire rating"..... we live outside of town so we had to figure how long it would take for the fire dept. to get to us and how long it would take to get the fire out. Just something to think about.... +2 on getting the next larger size.