Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Best scope for around $300?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Best scope for around $300?

My girlfriend is getting me a rifle for Christmas. I don't really know what it is other than a higher caliber rifle. I would be using it for white tail hunting. Also, my parents are just giving me money for Christmas this year. So I'd like to get me a decent scope to top off my new rifle for around $300. I can't really go much higher than that, because I'm broke at the moment. So do you guys have any suggestions? I don't really think I need more power than a 3-9 or maybe 4-12.

I was thinking about a Nikon buckmasters, then have a little extra cash for ammo. I could also afford a pair of Nikon prostaffs; a local place sells Nikon pretty cheap and I have a cheap Bushnell that came on a combo that I need to replace one day. I have heard of a Zeiss terra 3x. But it's a little higher than what I have and can't find any reviews on it. For the price range, I would be hard pressed to find a decent leupold; at least vx-ll. Some other things I've considered are finding refurbished or demo scopes. So if you had $300, what would you buy? Also, anybody know of any good sales, good sites, and places that sell demo/refurbished scopes?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My vote goes to Burris fullfield. For the money I dont think they can be beat. I have a 3x9 on my .270 and a 4.5x14 on my .300WM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Very pleased with my Redfield Revolution. Good American made scope for the money. The Revenge gives you more features for the money, but is built overseas. My brother has one though and no complaints.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Nikon Buckmasters. I have used it against a Leupold Gold Ring and honestly I like the Nikon better for the amount of light it lets in and the clarity is about the same as the Leupold.

I wouldn't lean toward refurb stuff for 2 reasons: The rolling-dice factor of reliability, plus, why taint a new rifle with a used optic?

Seriously, from an experienced hunter who has owned and used many optics from redfield, to leupold, to nikon, to burris, bushnell, including different grades within each brand, I would always recommend a buckmasters for your price range and encourage you to spend the leftover cash on a quality cleaning rod/bore guide and a few select cleaning chemicals. Proper break-in and cleaning will do 10x more for your rifle than the scope will anyways. Assuming you are using a decent scope.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Nikon monarch or millet
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C O R E View Post
Nikon Buckmasters. I have used it against a Leupold Gold Ring and honestly I like the Nikon better for the amount of light it lets in and the clarity is about the same as the Leupold.
X2 I have a buckmaster on my 30-06 and I love it. The low light capabilities are great.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
Nikons about all I use, Omegas on muzelloaders and love them and pro-staffs on some other guns. I dont have a buckmaster but would assume the quality is just as good as any other Nikon... all mine a great.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
bushnell elite 3200. its a 10x-40mm fixed obj, 1/10 mil adjustments.

A pretty bombproof little scope.

its also $199...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
My girlfriend is getting me a rifle for Christmas. I don't really know what it is other than a higher caliber rifle. I would be using it for white tail hunting. Also, my parents are just giving me money for Christmas this year. So I'd like to get me a decent scope to top off my new rifle for around $300. I can't really go much higher than that, because I'm broke at the moment. So do you guys have any suggestions? I don't really think I need more power than a 3-9 or maybe 4-12.

I was thinking about a Nikon buckmasters, then have a little extra cash for ammo. I could also afford a pair of Nikon prostaffs; a local place sells Nikon pretty cheap and I have a cheap Bushnell that came on a combo that I need to replace one day. I have heard of a Zeiss terra 3x. But it's a little higher than what I have and can't find any reviews on it. For the price range, I would be hard pressed to find a decent leupold; at least vx-ll. Some other things I've considered are finding refurbished or demo scopes. So if you had $300, what would you buy? Also, anybody know of any good sales, good sites, and places that sell demo/refurbished scopes?

Thanks
Where are you going to be hunting with it?
Dark woods?
Wide open plains?
I laugh when everybody immediately has an opinion with no information(Glock! There Badass(sic))
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a used Remington vtr in 308 and was also looking for a scope in this price range. I probably won't deer hunt with it due to the weight of the gun but would love to reach out and touch some coyotes with it. I have a 3x9 vx-1 on my deer hunting set up but was looking for something with more magnification on the 308.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 on my .270. Absolutely love it! Cross hairs have a small red line in them and is extremely tough. Bumped it a couple times a couple years ago and it's still dead on balls!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
2scars will become famous soon enough
Navy: AMH2
Name: Brandon
2scars's Tacoma Gallery
Good scope, yes...

...but don't forget quality rings and bases or that will be the weak link. I have a Leupold VX-1 on my Savage 110 30-06 and it is a great combo out to 200 yds (sighted to 100). I have Burris Signature rings and bases and they are rock solid.

Is this your first rifle and, as was asked earlier, where do you hunt? Those are good questions to answer before you think about the gear you need.

Brandon
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scars View Post
...but don't forget quality rings and bases or that will be the weak link. I have a Leupold VX-1 on my Savage 110 30-06 and it is a great combo out to 200 yds (sighted to 100). I have Burris Signature rings and bases and they are rock solid.

Is this your first rifle and, as was asked earlier, where do you hunt? Those are good questions to answer before you think about the gear you need.

Brandon
True. I have the Leupold rings and base on mine to match the scope
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
The 3-10x Weaver Mil-Mil is a great scope for $300.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Where are you going to be hunting with it?
Dark woods?
Wide open plains?
I laugh when everybody immediately has an opinion with no information(Glock! There Badass(sic))
Only useful post here.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Jake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to beholdJake7 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Levi
Jake7's Tacoma Gallery
You can't beat Nikon for good quality glass, plenty of scope models to chose from to suit your hunting conditions and needs. They also have an online ballistics program that is pretty good, not to mention free, http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...n.html#Index:4 , you just enter your info and print your cheat sheets. I love their M-308 model on my AR10.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, I got really busy a few weeks ago with finals and am just now getting caught up on things. This is not my first rifle and I have hunted for several years. Most of my hunting is over a food plot on our property and the furthest shot would be around 200 yards. I have several deer hunting rifles, so I can set each one up for different "situations" / places (long range, thick woods, etc.). I ended up getting a Nikon Buckmaster BDC 3-9x40 on a good deal for about $200. To my eyes and for the price, it was the best bang for the buck. She still won't tell me what the rifle is, but I did make sure they got Leupold rings and bases. I have a strong feeling it's a 7mm-mag though.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
PVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless of the scope you buy, I would recommend this website for purchase. They have amazing customer service, cheap and fast shipping, and the best prices I have ever found.

www.primaryarms.com

They also make their own brand of scopes and red dots. Look for reviews around the internet, they are always top rated.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
cgrhyne is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
cgrhyne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
My vote goes to Burris fullfield. For the money I dont think they can be beat. I have a 3x9 on my .270 and a 4.5x14 on my .300WM.
x2. I have one on my 7mm-08 and love it. I got it from Natchez Shooting Supply delivered for like 130 earlier this year. I have Leupolds and Nikons on everything else, but for the money, the Fullfield II is tough to beat.