Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Winchester Safe from Tractor Supply?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Winchester Safe from Tractor Supply?

Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester safes at TSC?
Particularly this one: Winchester 24-Gun Safe

I'm thinking about picking one up on Black Friday. I found a sale paper saying it will be $550. The specs look decent. I'm not trying to protect my life savings, just a few guns and some important documents from fire and theft.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a good deal. I sell the stack on brand (which i am not very happy with in quality) and its 950. I would do it.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Have you done any research for other safes? Price comparisons?
What kind of warranty does it have?
Do you really want an electronic keypad?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...s-on-gunsafes/

Not trying to scare you out of a purchase, but when you're spending that much money on a safe that's going to protect your $$ investment that you'll want it to last for years & years (and be big enough to buy more guns).

When we bought our safe, we stayed away from the electronic keypads and spent more money for a overall better unit that will last until after I'm dead and gone.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Have you done any research for other safes? Price comparisons?
What kind of warranty does it have?
Do you really want an electronic keypad?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...s-on-gunsafes/

Not trying to scare you out of a purchase, but when you're spending that much money on a safe that's going to protect your $$ investment that you'll want it to last for years & years (and be big enough to buy more guns).

When we bought our safe, we stayed away from the electronic keypads and spent more money for a overall better unit that will last until after I'm dead and gone.
I've been researching for a couple of weeks. I think it is a lifetime warranty on the safe, 1 year on the keypad. I do want an electronic keypad for the convenience. Most other safes this size are over $1000. I know it is a cheap one and not the best and I don't have any unrealistic expectations for it, but it seems like a pretty good deal for the money. I was just curious if anyone here has any first hand experience with this safe. I am fairly certain I will buy it. I think it will suit my needs well.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i dont like safes that use sheetrock as the fire layer. i think this one is muddying the water by calling it fireboard. sounds like sheet rock to me.

it looks fine. should keep the regular meth head out of your safe. but if that is sheetrock, dont expect much fire protection.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i dont like safes that use sheetrock as the fire layer. i think this one is muddying the water by calling it fireboard. sounds like sheet rock to me.

it looks fine. should keep the regular meth head out of your safe. but if that is sheetrock, dont expect much fire protection.
I agree. I think fire/water protection is just as important as idiot protection. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to protecting my guns...no pun intended. Look into Sentry Safes; they're top of the line
Old 11-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
I agree. I think fire/water protection is just as important as idiot protection. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to protecting my guns...no pun intended. Look into Sentry Safes; they're top of the line
Can you post a link to said Sentry Safe gun safes?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
Can you post a link to said Sentry Safe gun safes?
There are hundreds of options:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/Find_Your_Safe

They got rated the top safe of 2013 by http://www.gunsafecritics.com/
Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Sturdy safe for just a tad more money.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
Gardall, hands down.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharypaul89 View Post
There are hundreds of options:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/Find_Your_Safe

They got rated the top safe of 2013 by http://www.gunsafecritics.com/
I only found 1 safe that holds just a couple long guns, with no fire protection. Their "Extra-large" Safes could only hold a few handguns. Click guns and then fire protection and there are no results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vssman View Post
Gardall, hands down.
Those look nice, but one of comparable size is 3 times the price of the Winchester.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When we did our research, we ended up with a Liberty Franklin 35. It's absolutely a beautiful piece of art/furniture.
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-fran...afes-ps-6.html

Overall we were happier with the construction, fire rating, locking mechanisms, features, & warranty.
Expensive - yes. This will will outlast my generation and maybe the next!

It's heavy as Sheeeeee-ott empty - weighs close to 800lbs!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
When we did our research, we ended up with a Liberty Franklin 35. It's absolutely a beautiful piece of art/furniture.
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-fran...afes-ps-6.html

Overall we were happier with the construction, fire rating, locking mechanisms, features, & warranty.
Expensive - yes. This will will outlast my generation and maybe the next!

It's heavy as Sheeeeee-ott empty - weighs close to 800lbs!!!
The specs of the Franklin and this Winchester actually seem pretty similar:

Winchester:
Fire Resistant to 30 minutes @ 1,400° F
Palusol® door seal
2 layers of 1/2 in. fireboard in body
4-way active bolt work
Twelve 1-1/4 in. dia. locking bolts
Steel thickness: 12 ga.
Door panel organizer
507lbs
$550

Franklin:
Certified fire protection of 60 minutes @ 1200 F
Palusol™ Heat Activated door seal up to 7 times it size to help seal out heat and smoke.
3 layers of 5/8" fireboard in ceiling, doorjambs and door, plus 2 layers in all walls
3-way bolt work
Larger bolts, now 1.25"
Steel thickness: 11 ga.
Door panel organizer
660lbs for 25 gun model
$1,839
Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
i have that winchester safe. i like it but now ive had it a few years it kills the batteries kinda fast and i dont know why so i just pull the battery out until its time to open it
Old 11-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
i have that winchester safe. i like it but now ive had it a few years it kills the batteries kinda fast and i dont know why so i just pull the battery out until its time to open it
doesn't it forget your code after a few mins with the batt out?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Check out C.E. Safes out of Florida. CESafes.com. Very informative video on the web site on purchasing a gun safe. What to look for etc. I have no affiliation with them. Just good info.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Winchester:
Palusol® door seal
4-way active bolt work
Door panel organizer
507lbs
$550

Franklin:
Palusol™ Heat Activated door seal up to 7 times it size to help seal out heat and smoke.
3 layers of 5/8" fireboard in ceiling, doorjambs and door, plus 2 layers in all walls
3-way bolt work
Larger bolts, now 1.25"
Door panel organizer
660lbs for 25 gun model
$1,839
It may look similar to you on paper... but once you actually LOOK & FEEL the safes in person, you'll see the differences and you'll know what you like or don't like and what you want or don't want.

We went to a variety of dealers and looked at many different safes in person. When you're spending THAT much money on anything....you need to see it in person.

We actually have the Franklin 35 which is a little bigger and weights 785lbs.

And...there's no way we'd get an electronic keypad. We've heard too many headaches about them AND needing to drill into the safe to replace it. No Thanks.... It's dial all the way....(and we have a key as well)
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
doesn't it forget your code after a few mins with the batt out?
Nah
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Winchester:
Palusol® door seal
4-way active bolt work
Door panel organizer
507lbs
$550

Franklin:
3-way bolt work
Larger bolts, now 1.25"
Door panel organizer
660lbs for 25 gun model
$1,839

The Winchester safe is pretty good for the money.
I bought a Cannon just like it and the Winchester has external hinges, which are really nice and more secure.
If I were to buy one today, I'd get a 72" high safe.
My fishing rods and longer shotguns don't fit into the 59" safes so well.
No need to buy a status brand....they won't keep a determined thief out.