1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hunting a feeder opinions

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by takern, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Nov 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I am sure this has been discussed over and over by every hunting group out there but I just wanted to hear what yall thought about this subject. My dad and I had a pretty long chat about this today at the Bass Pro and he actually brought up some points I have never heard before. He is also pushing 50 so he is not exactly the spry young buck he used to be.

Personally I can't hunt a feeder. It takes the fun out of it. I have tried it and did not enjoy myself. I like the chase and I have been told I make it way to hard on myself but that is how I enjoy hunting. My personal ethical opinion is that it is unfair and turns hunting into shopping.

Now the old man said that he would hunt a feeder because he would enjoy sitting there all day watching deer knowing that he can take a big buck at any time. That point had never been brought up before and it actually made sense to me.

So whats your opinion? Ethical or not? Does it actually stick with the "spirit" of the chase?

2. Nov 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    It's illegal in MO, so not an issue for me. I also believe that feeders unnaturally concentrate deer, similar to the only watering hole left in a drought. This can lead to significantly increased of disease transmission, such as CWD, blue tongue, etc.

Ethically, if it's legal in your area, I have no problem with it. As long as you follow the law, eat as many deer as you can, and make quick, clean kills.

3. Nov 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I will be 50 next month, so I can see your dads point of view.:rolleyes:

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    i'm pushing 60 and to climb up into a nice heated deer blind is a blessing. i hunt over 7 acres of food plots and also have a feeder. in mi you can only use a feeder during oct,nov and dec. unless its a 100 yards from your house, then its called being used for recreational viewing. for viewing you can use a feeder 365 days a year. i'm with your dad, use a feeder and let you young guns do as you please!

5. Nov 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    The ethics of the situation has a lot to do with the part of the country you are in. I grew up in the west, with lots of room and few hunters. Here it is illegal to bait game. I always preferred to actively pursue game as opposed to sitting by a waterhole or feeding area. I understand that in some eastern areas, hunters have only a few acres to hunt and that necessarily affects the methods they use. I don't make judgments--we are all interested in the same sport and need to stand together against those who would like to make hunting illegal.

6. Nov 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I agree its got a lot to do with where you were raised. I had the privilege of living on both coasts as well as multiple places in the midwest and have participated in all types of hunting. I know of many people that hunt a feeder illegally in the state but where that was a lot of those people also are living well below poverty and can't afford meat so that is how they get it. Personally I do not need to hunt for meat i do it for the fun of the sport and I never could participate in such things

7. Nov 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I think baiting game is cheating..

8. Nov 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    haha. as long as it is legal, i'm cool with it.

i've seen some thick ass country in texas, you cannot spot/stalk. the land is impassable. the only way to get them to stand still is to set up a corn flinger. having said that, i have tried it 5 times only..and of those 5, i have only killed something twice. it is not a chip shot. it is not a sure thing.

cheating? no..easier? yes.

those that call it cheating..where do you draw the line? i'm exclusively a bowhunter. should i call rifle hunters cheaters? should recurve bow hunters call me and my compound bow, cheating?

see what i did there? i would never climb into a box blind with a rifle and hunt deer over a corn feeder. that is too easy for me. but if i needed that method, i am all over it. like if i ever "cant hike".or have a bad heart of something.

to each their own..i'm happy people are getting out and hunting.

9. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:27 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    if baiting is cheating, is it also cheating if you hunt a cut bean or corn field? and its not a slam dunk to hunt by a feeder. at least were i live, the deer seem to wait till 3am to use it.

10. Nov 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    You could argue that it is because it is a stationary and reliable food source. But you could also argue it is not the same because it is not "artificial" if you will. Similar to a clover patch in the middle of the woods. Im on the wall about this one. i will hunt those fields with a rifle but with a bow I gotta be in the woods

11. Nov 25, 2013 at 4:21 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    Its not legal here in PA but I when I lived where it was legal I never really thought of doing it seems like alot of extra work and expense. Plus disease transmission etc. Also from what i have heard lots of time the big bucks will stay away from the feeder of only come in after legal shooting light. They didn't get big for by walking to every feeder in town during daylight hours.

12. Nov 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    lol. if i owned any woods, i'd be back there for sure. i only own 10 acres and my house and pole barn at the front. i've planted atleast 100 trees, but it will take some time before that pans out.

13. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    no doubt, them big bucks are not stupid. i have never seen anything bigger then a 4 pt on the feeder. nite or day. i have yet to take a buck in 8 years, have passed on alot of small bucks. i believe if you shoot the small ones, no way it gets to be a real shooter. guys here are happy to take a spike and thats there right. for me, i'm happy taken a doe! disease is a big concern, my feeder only goes off once a day for 15 seconds. we lost alot deer last year to disease, it was blamed on a biting insect. alot of bucks and does were lost. it really shows this year. not seeing the numbers like i have in the past, seen maybe 10 deer out hunting this year.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. Nov 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    No way.
    Never use a feeder or any other bait.
    I'm 49 years old and this mulie season climbed 2000ft every day, averaged 9mi of hiking with packs every day....for 5 days.
    Got on great deer but didn't seal the deal.
    A great hunting season=effort.
    No effort=no satisfaction.

15. Nov 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    i have no place to spot and chase and at 58 i'll pass on putting those miles on these old bones! no effort? putting in food plots every year is a hobby, love driving a 1948 ford tractor with implements.

16. Nov 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    To each their own. There is no "right or wrong" answer to this. :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top