1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Massachusetts LTC-A... But not really...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by hogeyphenogey, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey [OP] Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I live in Chicopee Ma and the chief of police won't issue a true CCW permit. I got my class A but it's for "target and sporting only" which means I cannot carry. I went to the PD and they told me "we never issue a concealed permit"... I'm wondering if anyone else here in the Communistwealth of Taxachusetts has ever legally fought to have their license changed. The laws are stupid, I shouldn't have to go through an interview process to show WHY I NEED a CCW. If I lived in any bordering town, I'd have the CCW. I'm 41, owned rifles and shotguns since I was 8, and my friend who has never shot a single bullet got his full CCW in the next town over because their chief of police understands the Constitution.

So, if you live in Mass and have had this experience and been able to resolve it, let me know what you did! Thanks!

2. Dec 8, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Did they ask you why you want/need a CCW permit?

BTW, my wife and I took the required course, we just have to submit the application to the chief and have an interview/check.

3. Dec 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Tacokid11

Tacokid11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    coilovers, 3" springs and 2" shackles, Detroit locker, trail-gear armor all around, smittybilt xrc8 winch, rock lights
    I know some stations won't even allow you to get a CCW permit only an FID, so just be thankful for that. I didn't have a problem getting mine just filled out the form and that was about it, same with my girlfriend. Just took a long time to receive it. Best of luck though.

4. Dec 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    Check out North East Shooters forum. There is lots of good info over there, and a few of the members are attorneys who specialize in 2A related law.

5. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    Brian Simoneau

Brian Simoneau New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Framingham, MA
    Massachusetts has enacted a regulatory scheme to control the licensing of firearms and to limit access of deadly weapons to those who are suitable and can demonstrate a proper purpose to possess a firearm. “To warrant a finding that a chief of police had no reasonable ground for refusing to issue a license, it must be shown that the refusal was arbitrary, capricious, or an abuse of discretion.” A decision is not arbitrary and capricious unless there is no ground which “reasonable men might deem proper” to support it. The licensing authority has "considerable latitude" when it comes to deciding what type of license to issue. Some police chiefs will almost automatically issue for "all lawful purposes" while others are more restrictive. It is next to impossible to get a judge to force a licensing authority to remove a "hunting and target" restriction. I've never heard of a case where the restriction was removed by court order.

Sometimes, you can persuade a licensing authority to upgrade your license if you have a heightened need to carry for protection (e.g. carry large sums of money, work as a private investigator, have been the subject of documented & credible death threats, etc...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top