1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

concealed carry options

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by biker105nn, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dec 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    phil12382

phil12382 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Cols,OH
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab trd off rd
    Bilstein 5100's all around with OME 885s in front . 265/75/16. 5k hid, Fog 3k. Anytime fog light mod. Grillecraft upper and lower. Firestone airbags. Daystar Cradles. Illuminated 4x4 switch. Scan Guage II. LR UCA.
    just bought the xds several weeks back and love it. i bought it in the 45acp and couldnt be happier

2. Dec 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    My 2 cents........

A lot of good info here. As stated, the size of the gun depends on your size. I'd go as small as you can with a gun that fits comfortably in your hand. I have huge hands, so my Glock 27 is really pushing it as far as maintaining a good grip and getting back on target for flash sight pictures quickly. I can get accurate shots downrange quicker with my Sig 229 due to being able to manage the recoil better with the larger grips.

I've had to (and/or chose to) carry a firearm concealed every day for the last 10 years in areas where people can NOT know you have your gun (obviously, I was doing this legally.....I just don't want to go into any more specifics than that). I've gone through just about every method of trying to keep it concealed and always come back to the same method, regardless of season and weapon choice. IWB. When I say IWB, I mean a QUALITY IWB holster. Not a crappy Uncle Mike's $30 holster.

I go with comptac holsters, personally. I've used the Minotaur MTAC with my Sig 229 and Glock 27. It kept it perfectly concealed while wearing only a slim fit tshirt. Obviously, you need to be aware of some printing if you bend over. However, for everyday concealed carry, no one will notice. In my environments, people are usually more aware.

IMO, find a quality weapon that suits your needs and try out the MTAC or something similar. As long as it's a quality IWB holster, you won't be disappointed. The can't ability of the holster can also help eliminate printing, which is why I went with the MTAC.

Good luck!

3. Dec 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    But they make a 10mm ;)

4. Dec 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    [​IMG]

5. Dec 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    biker105nn

biker105nn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    1.) 2012 touch screen Panasonic stereo. 2.) Plasti-dip steelies
    thanks FAU, awesome info! When the time comes to purchase, Ill give the Mtac a shot, I still need to take the class etc, so itll be a few months before im actually carrying, but at least now I wont be so clueless as to carry options. I have been around guns, hunting my whole life, but the idea of carrying one on your person is totally new. Thanks!

6. Dec 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    A lot of the weapons intended for concealed carry do not have safeties. I carry a M&P9c on a daily basis with a round in the chamber with no issues. It has no safety other than not pulling the trigger. As long as your holster is a quality holster it is fine, especially if you are carrying IWB because nothing is going to snag the trigger on accident. It took a while to get used to because I always heard keep the weapon on safe until you are ready to fire but now I am fine with it.

As far as carrying with a T-Shirt, that depends on a lot of things from what pistol you get, what holster you get and how deep it goes into your pants and how much remains above the waist line, your body type, what activities you are going to be doing, where you are going to be (gun friendly area or an area with more anti gun people), the weather, where on your hip it is sitting, so on and so forth. I personally like two layers on top and have never had a problem.

What I do is rock an undershirt that covers it to hide the print a bit and then a button up over that, usually untucked. I like the button ups because they look good, are loose fitting, and are light weight for the summer time so people dont wonder why you have on a heavy shirt when its 100 degrees outside. Winter time Just put on a sweat shirt or an unzipped carhart jacket. But this only works for me. i have a small frame and always wear jeans and boots so this is the best I have been able to do. You will have to do some experimenting with your own stuff.

7. Dec 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!

good advice!

8. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    fau8823

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    ^^^this. Let me just add that I don't think a concealed carry gun should have a safety engaged. The entire purpose of carrying is to defend yourself in a split second. No safety on, one in hype pipe, ready to go. And PRACTICE!

9. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    Mmchugh

Mmchugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR 4x4
    Anytime foglight mod, plastidipped grill emblem, Weathertech floor liners, Python 4206 remote start

^^^^ that's why I carry a Glock. If I ever NEED it I want to draw, point, shoot. We've all seen people at the range forget to take the safety off, never mind in a high stress situation

10. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:50 AM
    elliot

elliot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    M&P Shield .40..... small, lightweight, safety if you want it, and reliable as hell. I wear it IWB and find that its hardly ever uncomfortable or noticeable unless someones looking for it.

11. Dec 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Couple different options: Taurus PT-145; S&W M&P 9; S&W Bodyguard .380. All IWB each depending on attire.

12. Dec 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    biker105nn

biker105nn [OP] Active Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    1.) 2012 touch screen Panasonic stereo. 2.) Plasti-dip steelies
    what about reliability and quality gun? I have been around guns forver, but only the ones my family owns, browning, ruger, etc are there consumer reports etc on a gun thats not gonna crap out? is my option, the springfield armory xds a fairly reliable gun?

13. Dec 17, 2013 at 2:19 AM
    fau8823

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    IMO, if you're looking for reliability, glock is your gun. Yes, there are guns out there that are better in other ways. For example, I like my sig more than my glock. However, when it comes down to it and my ass is on the line, I trust my glock MUCH more than my sig. Murphy always rears it's ugly head.

I can't provide much info on the gun you listed, though I'm sure someone here can.

14. Dec 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    This, she is a hottie! If you buy the 9 or 45 XD-S it should have the upgrade. Go to there website so you can tell how to identify the difference. I sent mine off and it's back now. Had not had a chance to got shoot yet.
    [​IMG]

15. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    I'm not allowed to carry at work
    But, when I'm not there; I carry a full-size 1911 all day, everywhere I go.. it's on me till I go to bed, and then it's right next to me

For stats sake: I'm 5' 10" 155lbs... pretty small guy
    There's pockets on the inside of Levi Trucker Jackets/Vests that, with a couple of stitches here and there to form it to the proper shape, are perfect for carrying; the grip sits horizontal across my left pec; gotta button the top couple 2 and bottom couple 2 (leave the 1 by the grip unbuttoned for draw-access) or it drags the left side of the Vest down (or you can add an equal amount of weight to the opposite side; but, by that point your Vest is stupid heavy)
    I forget it's there sometimes; very comfortable, well-concealed, and quickly accessible

P.S. I'm not making this comment as in saying a full-size 1911 is the best CCW... it's definately not
    I just freaking love 1911's; and, even as a small dude, comfortable, concealed, and accessible carry is doable

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  16. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    TX Made

TX Made Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    How long did it take for them to get it back to you?

17. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    06indigoink

06indigoink Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    yes they do;)

[​IMG]

18. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    John 2013

John 2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NY
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Tonneau cover, tail lite protectors, weather tech floor mats. Much more to come.
    S&W MP .45 Compact with an Alien Gear Holster.

19. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    There are two front runners in this category of mid-full size carry guns. Caliber is of little importance. 9mm, 40 or 45, it really matters which one you shoot best and are most comfortable with. The two front runners are the S&W M&P, and the Glock. Jump on Youtube and watch comparison videos. From the info I have gathered from my state gun forum, and youtube, the S&W is likely to overtake the Glock in popularity. Very durable, with more options for customization. Also, it comes with interchangeable back straps to fit your hand better. Also has a rail with 3 settings for adding laser or flashlight. Just as easy to take apart, and can come with an ambi thumb slide. The GEN 4 Glocks are currently experiencing some distaste due to a spring change. Many say that the GEN 4 is now oversprung. Please take this info with a grain of salt as, I have not personally shot a Gen 4. However, there are plenty of reports of stove piping, where Glocks historically are absolute champions straight out of the box.

Of course, all of these things can be changed.

20. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    You say the M&P is 'very durable' but nowhere do you say it's more durable than a Glock. Also, the Gen4 Glock also has interchangeable back straps as well as railed for accessories depending on model. Subcompacts are not railed. My Gen4 Glocks shoot every bit as good as my Gen3's. I had one Gen4 G19 that would sporadically eject brass into my face but I sent it off under warranty (only warranty issue EVER with a Glock in all my years and all the rounds I've fired) and it was a painless experience and now it ejects fine. I had several M&P's and sold them all. Bottom line is out the box the Glock has a better trigger, costs less, shoots smaller groups, is easier to find as well as find parts for and has a better track record. All the whizz-bang features mean nothing compared to those. If you bought an M&P you really wouldn't be making a mistake as they're both quality firearms I just wanted to address a few of the points you made comparing the two.

Products Discussed in

To Top