1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NFA Trusts

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by RCBS, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dec 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    RCBS

RCBS [OP] How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Currently looking into creating a trust. Looking for help from experienced members.

Those of you who have a trust, how did you go about drafting? Lawyer? Quicken Software? On-line service?

Any advice about pitfalls/hazards/general no-nos/hints/tips?

Did you put your entire collection into the trust, or only NFA regulated items?

I have decided to purchase a 22Sparrow supressor and am currently studying the process.:goingcrazy:

Any/all input appreciated.

2. Dec 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Not personal experience, but a good friend of mine's advice to me on the subject. Make sure whoever you pick to draft it up, is someone who does this often and knows what they are doing. He said recently the gubment has been going back over approved trusts and picking some of them apart and nailing people. Be a bad deal to get busted over some wrongly worded paperwork.

3. Dec 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indeed. :) Thus my inquiry. Also hearing that BATF is considering adding background checks even with trust/llc/corporate applicants. I think many people listed minors as their beneficiaries which from my understanding is not kosher.

4. Dec 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    18 Rapturd
    i approve of background checks. if you have nothing to hide why care? some of the methods that people used in a trust to circumvent illegitimate business is what screwed the citizens over.

if you have a criminal background which prohibits you from obtaining a firearm, then this should be no different in allowing you to obtain NFA items.

be careful of the online services that offer trust docs. i would call or talk to your local dealer and start talking with them. i went to a local class 3 dealer and they were able to give me all the 411.

5. Dec 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    Did a search on some other forums, as you're doing, but more related to the items at hand. Called a lawyer in my state, $200 if I recall and we did it over the phone. Just had to go to the bank and get the paperwork notarized. I preferred the lawyer with experience in NFA trusts as I was able to ask all the questions I wanted and get his professional answers. The rest is taken care of between your LGS and the BATF when you open your wallet.

Edit: I actually called on 2 or 3 lawyers that handle NFA trusts in my state. One quoted me $600. He did not get my business. The paperwork is really an easy template for them to handle as they handle several a week probably. It's the input of some personal information and the time to speak with them on the matters that are valuable. $250 isn't too much when you are getting legal advice and paperwork to secure some really nice collection items. It's more a sit and wait game, or just nearly forget and then have an awesome phone call one day with your new gift.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    Eternal24k

Eternal24k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 V6 4x4
    Trusts do NOT circumvent the background check. You still undergo the FBI background check which takes up the majority of the 7+ months of waiting.

Trusts do circumvent the LEO signature and fingerprinting, which is BS anyways since FBI does the background check and many LEO will refuse to sign for no legitimate/legal reason which is why most people get a trust in the first place.

To the OP, it's really a bad time to get into a trust with the pending changes, it is possibly they change the ruling before you get your first approval. I would try to go the traditional route, if you cannot get a signature (which may go away as well), then get a trust, but be very careful, it's not as simple as some make it sound.

7. Dec 23, 2013 at 2:28 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/6_Armory.html

Check the NFA sections on ar15.com as well as silencertalk.com for relevant information.

I went the trust route before the latest proposed changes; as noted above, it's pretty straight forward and you can file the eforms with it. If you go that route use a lawyer who has done them before.

"if you have nothing to hide why care?" This is an utterly retarded statement on so many levels... :smack:

8. Dec 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not looking to avoid a background check. Records don't get any cleaner than mine. Worried about CLEO signoff.

The "gun trust" subject seems to be a pitched battle on the internet. Looking to move forward with this before the changes are made and amend as necessary to conform to any new changes.

Have read several examples of living trusts geared toward NFA items that range from simple to very complicated. Am currently in contact with a firm discussing options and hope to have the documents created soon.

9. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    RCBS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, the trust is drawn. Took a quick look and it seems quite thorough. I will scrutinize it further before getting notarized. I used an online service and so far am very pleased. I asked probably 100 questions over three or four days, all of which were answered quickly and simply. Took 1 day to receive document after payment. If anyone is interested in the service, shoot me a PM for their info.

Products Discussed in

To Top