Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Where should I move

View Poll Results: Which state should I move to for fall hunting?
North Carolina 2 8.00%
Upstate New York 0 0%
Kentucky 6 24.00%
West Virginia 2 8.00%
West Coast(Oregon,Washington, California, Colorado 9 36.00%
Other 8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
Where should I move

alright so heres the situation...

I am 25 years old and I work every summer in Alaska as a saltwater fishing guide. In the fall I like to hunt as much as possible. Usually in the fall I only have a part time job to have some spending cash and keep me from going stir crazy. I have just gotten in to whitetail deer hunting and want to move to a state where land is cheap and I can buy or lease some property with a small cabin on it.

where should I move? I have been in Upstate New York this winter and I loved the fall...winter not so much...I have been leaning towards NC WV KY but I will be driving my truck to Washington state to catch a ferry to Alaska.

Should I stay on the west coast?
need some help deciding where I should move to next...

I love sitting in my tree stand all morning, I also have done spot and stalk hunting in alaska...

Edit: some pictures from the fall hunting in New York and Ohio

Old 02-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Stay out west. Utah/Wy/Co/MT

The drive to Bellingham sucks ass no matter how you slice it, but it cuts the distances, down by over 1500 miles each way. Good hunting out west also...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Move

To a gun friendly state......Utah, Nevada (no personal income tax), Idaho, Arizona
Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Dont come here, CA. cheap land no where to be found. at least where its livable.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Minden Nv.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Eastern Oregon had pretty good hunting. So pretty much anywhere CA, WA, CO is fair game.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks guys! I have put a lot of thought into this move...I am torn between the two types of hunting. Since I will be on the west coast, I might as well stay there.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Stay out west. Utah/Wy/Co/MT

The drive to Bellingham sucks ass no matter how you slice it, but it cuts the distances, down by over 1500 miles each way. Good hunting out west also...
I drove here to Upstate NY from San Diego CA... I stopped along the way and hunted and fished!

On the way back to WA I am meeting a buddy in Ohio and we are fly fishing all the way there.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Washington seasons are ridiculously short.
Don't do WA.
MT, Oregon, those would be my picks.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Washington seasons are ridiculously short.
Don't do WA.
MT, Oregon, those would be my picks.
Thank you! have you ever been to a place called Gold Beach Oregon? my friend who lives right on the Columbia River said it was the most beautiful place hes ever seen?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
ohio, kentucky, indiana... would all be great candidates, good for your gun rights and hunting, ...and land pretty cheap in many areas...

...they're hunting elk down in KY..
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer44306 View Post
Thank you! have you ever been to a place called Gold Beach Oregon? my friend who lives right on the Columbia River said it was the most beautiful place hes ever seen?
It's a great place and it is beautiful.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I'm jealous, sounds like you've made asweet life for yourself! I'd make my choice based on gun laws and hunting season, NOT California for sure.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Don't come to California, stay in America.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
West coast, not Cali. Their gun laws are hell. Colorado is where I'd suggest.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Thanks for all the input guys!! there so many places to explore around the country. Everywhere I have moved to I have liked and disliked for various reasons... my aunt and uncle live in western Idaho so I will definetly be checking out areas around there!

I may not make the most money or have the best winter jobs but I am happy a traveling hunter/fisherman dude, and I wouldnt trade it for the world! my trusty Tacoma has given me the confidence to charge into some crazy shit!!

Side note: I worked for an oil company in Bakersfield CA... I wont move back to that place!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
Minden Nv.
This ^^^
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #19
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
This ^^^
Gardenerville?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Colorado definitely isn't cheap unless you settle on the eastern plains (which also happens to be the only place in CO with whitetail. All mule deer in the mountains.)