Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

BUG. firearm. what are your opinions

Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #21
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Not my BUG but my carry gun but this can be a good option for someone who is looking for a BUG (Kahr P380):

Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
I got a lot of "backup" guns. We'll just leave it at that. I'm pretty low key about my firearms
Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Not my BUG but my carry gun but this can be a good option for someone who is looking for a BUG (Kahr P380):

Nice pistol. I heard some good things about kahr.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #24
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: wayne
whopper's Tacoma Gallery
my BUG is a springfeild XDs .45
every day carry is a crimson trace kimber ultra .45
Old 02-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I think it's fairly pointless to have a BUG unless you're involved in work that has highrisk.
/\ I agree with this.

If you're in a profession that requires that you place yourself in harms way (LEO, protective detail, etc.) a back up gun [BUG] may be a useful option. For the average person with a concealed weapons permit, the idea of actually carrying a second handgun seems to fit in the category that I will politely label - "departure from reality".

Being aware of your surroundings, learning and practicing some defensive tactics and having a plan to get OUT of harms' way; will serve you far better than possessing a lot of equipment. Your most important piece of gear is located between your ears, .....use it!

Now, for the record, I'm totally in favor of good people having the means to defend themselves and a gun is certainly a useful tool for that practice. However looking like Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies isn't going to increase your odds of survival.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #26
JDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDAM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDAM's Tacoma Gallery
I don't carry a backup but I like this line from Unforgiven:

Fatty Rossiter: It was already loaded. Jesus, Clyde, you have three pistols and you only have one arm for Christ's sake.
Clyde: Well I just don't want to be killed for lack of shootin' back.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #27
Petrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shedPetrol is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
Not to drift the thread too far but, Unforgiven is a great movie !
Of course having two guns didn't help English Bob very much............

And remember: Beware of the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4yota View Post
This is the opinions that make me think whether to carry a bug or not. I do agree with ostrichsak about false sense of security by why u live.
Just because someone doesn't live in the middle of Philly or on 8 mile which is bad territory. Doesn't mean something can not happen
If you feel the need to carry (which I do 24/7 regardless of where I am) then you should also feel the need to carry a BUG as your primary can fail at any time. The only thing worse than needing a gun and not having it is needing a gun, presenting it (read: showing your hand) and then having it not go bang. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #29
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Needing to use your primary weapon falls somewhere between getting hit by a random car and getting struck by lightning.

Needing to use a BUG if you're not LEO or military falls somewhere between getting struck by lightning...twice...and winning the powerball.
As long as there's a chance (no matter how slim) I'm not willing to risk my life on that gamble.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #30
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
Being aware of your surroundings, learning and practicing some defensive tactics and having a plan to get OUT of harms' way; will serve you far better than possessing a lot of equipment. Your most important piece of gear is located between your ears, .....use it!
This of course assumes that one simply can't do both. Not a very safe assumption.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #31
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Not to drift the thread too far but, Unforgiven is a great movie !
Of course having two guns didn't help English Bob very much............

And remember: Beware of the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it!
Well if it was in a movie then it MUST be a fact!

I used to say the same thing many years ago when I owned only one gun and what I've found is that I still know how to use it just fine but now I've got a better understanding of MANY firearms which will help me even more than owning a single firearm ever could have.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #32
lost then found
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Baby Glock .4o on my side

Keltec .32 in my ankle Pubos (all the time)
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #33
Petrol's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Ostrichsak;8250678]Well if it was in a movie then it MUST be a fact!

QUOTE]

I was joking about a movie reference, I assume you are as well.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #34
dirty Nissan driver
gravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
gravedgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
As long as there's a chance (no matter how slim) I'm not willing to risk my life on that gamble.
Large magazine capacity + spare mags > BUG, IMHO.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #35
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Quote:
Well if it was in a movie then it MUST be a fact!
I was joking about a movie reference, I assume you are as well.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedgr View Post
Large magazine capacity + spare mags > BUG, IMHO.
Two is one and one is none. If your firearm fails your extra mag doesn't do you too much good and this is why your statement isn't accurate. Nobody says you can't have a backup mag for your primary or your spare but if you have a situation where you need a gun you're going to need a gun and if your primary goes down for whatever reason you no longer have a gun regardless of how many mags you carry for your primary. If you decide that all you need is a single gun with a backup mag then that's fine but it's not better than having a BUG no matter how you slice it. For me, I throw an LCP in a pocket holster and into my front right pocket it goes. It pretty much disappears so for me it's not a big deal at all to have a BUG. If it's a big deal to you to have a BUG on your person then don't do it. No reason to justify it other than that point though let alone talk down to those who do. (not saying you specifically are)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #36
dirty Nissan driver
gravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
gravedgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Two is one and one is none. If your firearm fails your extra mag doesn't do you too much good and this is why your statement isn't accurate. Nobody says you can't have a backup mag for your primary or your spare but if you have a situation where you need a gun you're going to need a gun and if your primary goes down for whatever reason you no longer have a gun regardless of how many mags you carry for your primary. If you decide that all you need is a single gun with a backup mag then that's fine but it's not better than having a BUG no matter how you slice it. For me, I throw an LCP in a pocket holster and into my front right pocket it goes. It pretty much disappears so for me it's not a big deal at all to have a BUG. If it's a big deal to you to have a BUG on your person then don't do it. No reason to justify it other than that point though let alone talk down to those who do. (not saying you specifically are)
Fair enough. BUG's just don't fit in the risk/cost analysis for me, but everyone has different situations.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Ostrichsak. Never thought I would agree so close to a glock fan
But I have the same POV. I mean it takes a split second for a jam to occur. And if its a jam I can't clear with raking the slide. Becuz of a broken extractor or some faulty ammo with a shell stuck in the camber cuz it buldges. (Which I seen worse than a jam from faulty ammo). Than that could be a chance of losing ur life.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #38
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4yota View Post
Ostrichsak. Never thought I would agree so close to a glock fan
But I have the same POV. I mean it takes a split second for a jam to occur. And if its a jam I can't clear with raking the slide. Becuz of a broken extractor or some faulty ammo with a shell stuck in the camber cuz it buldges. (Which I seen worse than a jam from faulty ammo). Than that could be a chance of losing ur life.
Then carry a revolver.
My trail carry is and always has been revos.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #39
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Then carry a revolver.
My trail carry is and always has been revos.
Too wide, low capacity and despite what all the old fogies try to tell you they can and do fail just like Macs aren't immune to viruses & spyware.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #40
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
BUG ?

Kel-Tec PF9

One of, if not the flattest 9mm available, loaded weight is like 16 oz
Never had a problem with mine. Last time I checked, you can buy a new one for 300 bucks just about everywhere.
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pf-9/pistol/