Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Tactical shotguns

Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #41
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
The barrel I mentioned earlier came in today. Just put it on along with a heat shield. Ordered the heat shield a while ago not knowing it wouldn't fit on the barrel the gun came with. It fits on this barrel though.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #42
Dangerdave is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Dangerdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
I know it's only a matter of time before I hear something like this in a HD shotgun conversation. You ever place some sheets of drywall back to back to back and test that yourself? After all, your daughter's life is at stake. That stated, even if I lived in the sticks by myself and had no concerns of over-penetration I still would NOT choose birdshot as a SD round. Ever.

BTW, with this response we're starting to get into why my shotguns would be the last go-to weapons for HD/SD. There are FAR better options with everything taken into account. The urban legend of the HD shotgun run wild.
I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you by any means and while I agree with what you are saying mostly. But I don't live in a shitty apartment somewhere. All of my walls are hardwood and yes I've tested bird shots penetration of the same material used.

And believe me if you question the lethality of bird shot then I'll bet you've never seen the damage it can cause in person.

Again. Not calling you out. But I've been around guns my whole life and am pretty proficient and trust my and my families safety with my shotgun bedside
Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #43
Hafa Adai!
tagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: C-Tech
Name: joey
tagaman670's Tacoma Gallery
Tactical shotguns-image.jpg
My mossberg 930 spx
Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #45
Hafa Adai!
tagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to beholdtagaman670 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: C-Tech
Name: joey
tagaman670's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks benson!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 AM   #46
Jrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jake
Jrahn0822's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Help me understand a situation in which a less maneuverable, louder, substantially higher recoil, more wall over-penetration, less capacity and less ability to customize to your needs would be preferred in a HD situation.

I will agree that yes a shotgun can and does do all those things in which you listed. I will also say that I am a lot more comfortable with my shotgun in my hand than any other weapon. This is partially due to the way I grew up. In Iowa rifles are rarely talked about partially because we have no hunting seasons except in a few southern counties in which you can use rifles. Therefore I would say yeah maybe your AR is better for the situation but not for me because I am not as comfortable with it as my shotgun and we all could agree on here that we want people to be comfortable with the guns they use and not be some idiot/thug walking around with a gun they have no knowledge on how to use.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #47
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Help me understand a situation in which a less maneuverable, louder, substantially higher recoil, more wall over-penetration, less capacity and less ability to customize to your needs would be preferred in a HD situation.
In my patrol car I have both my ar and shotgun in a rack next to me. Size wise they are within an inch of each other- ar stock collapsed. That being said when situations call for a long gun, I usually grab my shotgun. I have extensive training with both but for close in work I prefer the shotgun. If I'm further out on perimeter, ar.
We have a sweet shoot house where I work. Most people get their best times with the ar or pistol in a timed exercise we do. I do better with the shotgun.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #48
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrahn0822 View Post
I will agree that yes a shotgun can and does do all those things in which you listed. I will also say that I am a lot more comfortable with my shotgun in my hand than any other weapon. This is partially due to the way I grew up. In Iowa rifles are rarely talked about partially because we have no hunting seasons except in a few southern counties in which you can use rifles. Therefore I would say yeah maybe your AR is better for the situation but not for me because I am not as comfortable with it as my shotgun and we all could agree on here that we want people to be comfortable with the guns they use and not be some idiot/thug walking around with a gun they have no knowledge on how to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
In my patrol car I have both my ar and shotgun in a rack next to me. Size wise they are within an inch of each other- ar stock collapsed. That being said when situations call for a long gun, I usually grab my shotgun. I have extensive training with both but for close in work I prefer the shotgun. If I'm further out on perimeter, ar.
We have a sweet shoot house where I work. Most people get their best times with the ar or pistol in a timed exercise we do. I do better with the shotgun.
Sounds like more AR training is in order.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #49
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shotgun is the most devastating CWB weapon hands down.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #51
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what it must be... 9 yrs active duty attached to the 1st M.E.F. with a tour in Iraq where I ate, shit, showered, slept etc. with my a.r.. 8yrs as a L.E.O. where I have taken numerous shooting classes- most centered around the a.r.. Hell I just finished another two week rifle class in January.
I own 3 a.r.'s lol.
I prefer my S.B. shotgun for CQB/CWB work. More a.r. training isn't going to change that.
I'm not saying a shotgun is the end all be all of hd/cqb/cwb guns, it's just my tool of choice.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #52
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Wait - I've seen that before...

Quote:
That's what it must be... 9 yrs active duty attached to the 1st M.E.F. with a tour in Iraq where I ate, shit, showered, slept etc. with my a.r.. 8yrs as a L.E.O. where I have taken numerous shooting classes- most centered around the a.r.. Hell I just finished another two week rifle class in January.
I own 3 a.r.'s lol.
I prefer my S.B. shotgun for CQB/CWB work. More a.r. training isn't going to change that.
I'm not saying a shotgun is the end all be all of hd/cqb/cwb guns, it's just my tool of choice.
Someone should have googled "Front Sight."
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #53
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I own 3 a.r.'s lol.
Me too, just a out same background. But some people here read tactical magazines and watched some shooting shows and know better than us. Funny how that works out.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #54
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
Me too, just a out same background. But some people here read tactical magazines and watched some shooting shows and know better than us. Funny how that works out.
I don't read shitty gun magazines or watch shitty gun TV shows and I sure as hell don't watch shitty instructional videos. The shotgun is an inferior weapon to the AR platform for all of the reasons I listed earlier. If you do better that's good for you but I've spent plenty of time behind both and there's no way I would allow myself to be 'better' with an inferior weapon as a crutch. It also serves to teach those who don't know better that the shotgun is a superior weapon for SD/HD and the simple fact is it isn't in the hands of 99% of the people alive. You two are in the 1% which is the exception and not the rule. No need to fight about it and had I put a little smiley next to my comment where I quoted you both you may have got my sarcasm. That being said there was a nugget of truth to it but no reason to get all fired up over it. It's pretty apparent that you two are convinced that you're better with a shotgun and how dare anyone question that & challenge you to ask yourself why because who am I other than some random feller on the intrawebs, right? This is an internet discussion forum after all. It's your life (and possibly that of others) so do whatcha like.

I've got to stay out of gun discussion threads on random forums because it seems that urban internet legend thrives and those who beat their chest the hardest win the internets.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #55
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I've got to stay out of gun discussion threads on random forums .

Old 03-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #56
4wd is awesome
4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future4x4yota has a brilliant future

Name: Collin
4x4yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't read shitty gun magazines or watch shitty gun TV shows and I sure as hell don't watch shitty instructional videos. The shotgun is an inferior weapon to the AR platform for all of the reasons I listed earlier. If you do better that's good for you but I've spent plenty of time behind both and there's no way I would allow myself to be 'better' with an inferior weapon as a crutch. It also serves to teach those who don't know better that the shotgun is a superior weapon for SD/HD and the simple fact is it isn't in the hands of 99% of the people alive. You two are in the 1% which is the exception and not the rule. No need to fight about it and had I put a little smiley next to my comment where I quoted you both you may have got my sarcasm. That being said there was a nugget of truth to it but no reason to get all fired up over it. It's pretty apparent that you two are convinced that you're better with a shotgun and how dare anyone question that & challenge you to ask yourself why because who am I other than some random feller on the intrawebs, right? This is an internet discussion forum after all. It's your life (and possibly that of others) so do whatcha like.

I've got to stay out of gun discussion threads on random forums because it seems that urban internet legend thrives and those who beat their chest the hardest win the internets.
A shotgun is not inferior to an ar. They are two completely different tools for different jobs. Its like comparing apples to oranges
Old 03-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #59
Don't taze me bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4yota View Post
A shotgun is not inferior to an ar. They are two completely different tools for different jobs. Its like comparing apples to oranges
Going back to what I posted several times; as it compares to HD/SD it certainly is inferior in most every single category in the hands of the average user as I've already posted.

But, I'll take the bait. In what ways is a shotgun better than an AR for HD? Go ahead and list the pros and cons and we'll have us a debate about it. If you say that it doesn't penetrate as much, you don't even have to aim it or the sound of the pump scares bad guys off I'm not having a discussion with you.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #60
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going back to what I posted several times; as it compares to HD/SD it certainly is inferior in most every single category in the hands of the average user as I've already posted.
How did this turn from a show-and-tell, into a "My dad can beat up your dad", debate?