Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Open carry?

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Jrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jake
Jrahn0822's Tacoma Gallery
Open carry?

I know that some states you cannot open carry but for those of you that live in states that open carrying is an option do you? I will open carry depending on my attire because with some clothes it's just more comfortable.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
babelt is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
babelt's Tacoma Gallery
I open carry quite often. Just depends on what I am doing and what attire I will have one. I usually care my M&P in my Raven Concealment Holster with an ARES Ranger Belt. But if I want to go concealed I use my crossbreed super tuck and it hides it easily. I like open carry. It is more comfortable and quicker on the draw. I am on a couple of shooting forums and you will get a difference of opinions. Some guys think that it makes you a target for bad guys. It's just all about what you are comfortable with. If you do open carry get a good holsters with good retention. You don't have to go crazy just something that secures the weapon pretty well.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I cc unless in camping or hiking

Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Don't Compromise; Notarize!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrahn0822 View Post
I know that some states you cannot open carry but for those of you that live in states that open carrying is an option do you? I will open carry depending on my attire because with some clothes it's just more comfortable.
No. I prefer not to advertise. If something were to happen it's like wearing a shirt that says "shoot me first!" except less subtle.
I CC exclusively unless I'm camping, hunting, or hiking.

Also, I can't stand the 'confrontational' open carry people, the tools who strap a gun on just so that they can attract attention to themselves. Those are the ones you always see arguing with the police about their constitutional rights, who aren't helping any of us make the populace more accepting of the right to carry.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
DizzyD is on a distinguished road
DizzyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
No. I prefer not to advertise. If something were to happen it's like wearing a shirt that says "shoot me first!" except less subtle.
I CC exclusively unless I'm camping, hunting, or hiking.

Also, I can't stand the 'confrontational' open carry people, the tools who strap a gun on just so that they can attract attention to themselves. Those are the ones you always see arguing with the police about their constitutional rights, who aren't helping any of us make the populace more accepting of the right to carry.
+1

Well Said on all accounts. The only time I open carry is on private property or while Hunting/Hiking. You don't see many people in VA Open Cary even though it is legal. Everyone I know that carries at all uses there Concealed Carry Permit. I would encourage anyone who open carries to get a concealed carry permit just in case. Plus, that shows the state legislators that more people support it and that they should support it too.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Working at the Nauga Ranch
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
In Wisconsin if you have a cc permit you cannot open carry. Since WI legalized cc in Nov 2011 over 300,000 permits have been issued. The state couldn't keep up with permit requests for over a year. I think this law was a long time in coming for WI.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...open carry is done pretty rarely here, ...though i've seen a holstered pistol on a hip at a grocery store, or walmart a time or two...

...i just CC, ...don't want to spook the sheep...

Old 03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
I live in an open carry state and I choose not to. I CC as I do not want some thug or criminal smacking me first or someone trying to steal my firearm. For me at least, I feel it is best to remain anonymous and not a target.

As stated above, hiking, fishing, camping, hunting is a bit different and I will open carry more often in those situations when not in the direct public.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
when i lived in CT few years ago I open carried as my regular form. now I live in FL and they are stupid about it here.

to the guys that says open carry is like wearing a shoot me first sign- never once in history has that happened. as a matter of fact, studies show that career criminals will decide not to rob a place or whatever if they know someone has means to defend themselves. they want a clean easy job, not a shooting spree.

open carry is a deterrent to a crime before it even happens.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
when i lived in CT few years ago I open carried as my regular form. now I live in FL and they are stupid about it here.

to the guys that says open carry is like wearing a shoot me first sign- never once in history has that happened. as a matter of fact, studies show that career criminals will decide not to rob a place or whatever if they know someone has means to defend themselves. they want a clean easy job, not a shooting spree.

open carry is a deterrent to a crime before it even happens.
That's if they're scouting first.
If they bust in guns drawn and spot one on your hip they'll either turn tail and run or they'll shoot you. Personally, I'd rather not flip that coin. The element of surprise is not to be underestimated.

As for your assertion that OC doesn't make you a target; One search of Google yielded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YU...eature=related

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/u...holstered-gun/

Now, I'm not saying I have a problem with open carry; I'm giving reasons that I don't do it. If someone wants to open carry that's fine by me, so long as they aren't a douche about it.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
Jrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jake
Jrahn0822's Tacoma Gallery
[Also, I can't stand the 'confrontational' open carry people, the tools who strap a gun on just so that they can attract attention to themselves. Those are the ones you always see arguing with the police about their constitutional rights, who aren't helping any of us make the populace more accepting of the right to carry.[/QUOTE]

I will totally agree with you on that statement. There are many people who are confrontational about it. I have gotten stopped in stores and asked about my gun if I am OC and I be as polite and nice as possible about the situation and will give them my permit showing that I have the followed all legal suits. I have I been asked to leave also due to open carrying in which I do abide to their request and just go out and conceal it if they state that will be ok.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
snowdrifter will become famous soon enough
snowdrifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
In Wisconsin if you have a cc permit you cannot open carry. Since WI legalized cc in Nov 2011 over 300,000 permits have been issued. The state couldn't keep up with permit requests for over a year. I think this law was a long time in coming for WI.

Actually in Wisconsin, one can open carry with or without a carry license.

From usacarry.com:

Open carry is allowed in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Senate Bill 93 eliminates the current prohibition against keeping a loaded, uncased handgun in a vehicle, a change applicable to both licensees and non-licensees alike. This eliminates the requirement that these citizens unload/load and case/uncase their handgun every time they enter and exit a vehicle. Also, the bill statutorily prohibits the use of disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace statutes as a means of effectively prohibiting the open-carrying of lawfully- possessed firearms.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #13
Juan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 91B - Mechanic
Name: Johnny
Juan Solo's Tacoma Gallery
I conceal because Texas is not an open carry state. I would love the option however; I would still conceal but wouldn't have to worry as much about "accidental showings" which I am prone to.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #14
Softtacosupreme is on a distinguished road

Softtacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Conceal carry for sure. Always have one with me. I actually don't like the added attention if I were to open carry. Plus like the women in the video, people now days are always on edge about shit like that. Even if it's someone who looks decent.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
Actually in Wisconsin, one can open carry with or without a carry license.

From usacarry.com:

Open carry is allowed in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Senate Bill 93 eliminates the current prohibition against keeping a loaded, uncased handgun in a vehicle, a change applicable to both licensees and non-licensees alike. This eliminates the requirement that these citizens unload/load and case/uncase their handgun every time they enter and exit a vehicle. Also, the bill statutorily prohibits the use of disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace statutes as a means of effectively prohibiting the open-carrying of lawfully- possessed firearms.

make sure you dont make carry decisions based off of quotes refrencing legislation ... you should read the actuall leglislation from each state you want to take your gun to so you can be sure.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Like others, only open when I am hiking. If I am hunting with no pack, I am usually concealed, with a pack on I'll go open. I've only had a couple people say anything negative haha. Once I was sitting in camp eating oatmeal on a rock in the Desolation wilderness southwest of Tahoe. As a small group walked by I heard one girl say to the others "hurry, he has a gun". lol. The other time, we had stopped on the trail to take a break and eat a snack, two old guys were coming down and stopped to talk to us. They talked with us for 10 minutes before they noticed my buddies gun. They freaked out and said he was going to shoot his foot off. Then after another 5 minutes they saw mine. Then they proceeded to tell us the chances of us getting in a gunfight with each other was really high, and they wouldnt be surprised if we killed each other while we were up there. lol. derps.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
MARANATHA !!!
TheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrayRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TheGrayRider's Tacoma Gallery
In Florida a citizen may open carry if they are hunting or fishing only
If you are fishing at the pier you will have a conversation with the police eventually

I conceal carry especially in my truck

most people don't know the laws and for whatever reason most people seem to have a problem with someone that open carries a firearm and isn't wearing a uniform or a badge... A large knife doesn't bother most

I lived near Atlanta and some folks that weren't knowledgable freaked out at a Pizza Hut when a man had a thigh holster with a rather long Colt 45
He was very calm and explained the open carry law to the folks and most calmed down

Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Like others, only open when I am hiking. If I am hunting with no pack, I am usually concealed, with a pack on I'll go open. I've only had a couple people say anything negative haha. Once I was sitting in camp eating oatmeal on a rock in the Desolation wilderness southwest of Tahoe. As a small group walked by I heard one girl say to the others "hurry, he has a gun". lol. The other time, we had stopped on the trail to take a break and eat a snack, two old guys were coming down and stopped to talk to us. They talked with us for 10 minutes before they noticed my buddies gun. They freaked out and said he was going to shoot his foot off. Then after another 5 minutes they saw mine. Then they proceeded to tell us the chances of us getting in a gunfight with each other was really high, and they wouldnt be surprised if we killed each other while we were up there. lol. derps.

"TARNATION! You done just stepped on my bedroll!"

Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
I openly carry all the time here in Colorado get some weird looks but that's about it.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post

"TARNATION! You done just stepped on my bedroll!"
lol. No kidding. We assured them we wouldnt do that. My buddy grew up in Sacramento, so he has a ton of experience dealing with antis. Gave them the "who do you call when you need help? A guy with a gun right? with his own life and family to come take care of your problems." By the time we parted ways one guy said he understood why to have one, but the other guy was still freaking out.

Closed Thread