Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Is the Bushmaster ACR a worthwhile purchase?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Is the Bushmaster ACR a worthwhile purchase?

Been intrigued by these since it was a Magpul development project, but lost interest when it was handed over to Bushmaster, who butchered the release and overshot the original stated pricepoint by about $1k. The price seems to have dropped below $2k now.
Initial reports of poor quality and reliability seem to have gone away for the most part. Most owners rave about them, but caliber conversion kits remain nonexistent. If you want a different barrel, you have to have one converted by an aftermarket source.

Another version, produced by Remington seems to have several enhancements and other features that the market desired in the original product, but Remington stupidly has no plans to offer it to the civilian market.

Anyone here own one? How do you feel about it? Is it something you would choose over your trusty M4?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wow, that many?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Jefes Taco has a spectacular aura aboutJefes Taco has a spectacular aura about

Jefes Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It's a Bushmaster.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
See, that's what I thought, too. But the majority of people who have them rave about the ACR. Honestly, I just like the way it looks, and the ones I've held felt solid and had a very smooth action with a nice trigger. If Bushmaster would actually come through with conversion barrels, bolts and lowers like they were supposed to, I think I would have bought one already.

Maybe I'm just bored...
Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard much about it since the whole masada thing, but someone had one on here awhile back and said he loved it

they seem pretty sweet....
Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
JeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to beholdJeffRoyJenkins is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jeff
JeffRoyJenkins's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/BB0Pu-rvFjs
Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Generally people who spend lots of money on something will find reasons why it's the best option even if it isn't.

Something about a "nail on the head"...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Quote:
Yep.
Shit, I knew it...
Old 06-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Jefes Taco has a spectacular aura aboutJefes Taco has a spectacular aura about

Jefes Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Generally people who spend lots of money on something will find reasons why it's the best option even if it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRoyJenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Something about a "nail on the head"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
Shit, I knew it...
Yep.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1 for this post. Fucking awesome.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
skynet is on a distinguished road
skynet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I nearly died laughing
Old 06-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #15
I think they have a 1:7 twist available now, and chrome lined vs melonite seems like kind of a no-brainer as chrome lining has no real advantage over it. I don't know how important it is to have a "milspec" feature if there are better alternatives.

So I get the 1:9 complaint, but not the (lack of)chrome lining complaint.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the enhanced version about four years ago. I bought it because of the of Springsfield's promises for caliber conversions. Once I realized that was was never going to happen I sold it and bought a Daniel Defense. I couldn't be happier.

It's a solid platform and it shoots well. I don't really have anything BAD to say about it, other than it's a Bushmaster. If you're going to shell out that much cash though, get a high end AR or SCAR. You'll be happier.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrSumR View Post
I bought the enhanced version about four years ago. I bought it because of the of Springsfield's promises for caliber conversions. Once I realized that was was never going to happen I sold it and bought a Daniel Defense. I couldn't be happier.

It's a solid platform and it shoots well. I don't really have anything BAD to say about it, other than it's a Bushmaster. If you're going to shell out that much cash though, get a high end AR or SCAR. You'll be happier.
Oh, I know. I'm up to my neck in nice AR's I just wanted something different and don't really care for the SCAR. I decided to just build a 6.5 Grendel upper instead.