Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Anyone love/hate the Ruger p90??

Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone love/hate the Ruger p90??

Recently found a guy i know selling a Ruger p90 make in 2007.

I was interested in a 1911 due to the .45 round and all steel. This would seem like a good substitute as i can get it with the factory mags, case, manual for
$400.

Anyone have good/bad experience with these??

The research ive done boasts about it's accuracy, reliability etc, and that it's a tank!!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Kenneth
kenneth.morris07's Tacoma Gallery
Im not a fan of mine. And I certainly wouldn't pay $400 for one. It's pretty bulky. Somewhat accurate. I can't say it's extremely reliable. I've had mine jam numerous times and I take it apart and clean it before and after each trip to the range.

Pistols are like golf clubs. What works well for one, doesn't always for the other. You just have to find what feels good for you.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the input, you're the first person who has had anything negative to say about the p90 except the bulk which everyone says lol.

It be easier if i had a friend with every gun to just go test out haha
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.morris07 View Post
I can't say it's extremely reliable. I've had mine jam numerous times and I take it apart and clean it before and after each trip to the range.

Pistols are like golf clubs. What works well for one, doesn't always for the other. You just have to find what feels good for you.
Many semi-autos are sensitive to what you put in them. Find a round that works for your pistol and shoot those with confidence.

Having said that please note the only time my Glock 23 has jammed or misfired is when I have used reloads which is prohibited by the manual. Never a miss with factory loads.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Love mine, accurate, never jams on me. It is one of the first releases of the P90 so maybe something changed?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Love mine, accurate, never jams on me. It is one of the first releases of the P90 so maybe something changed?
Here's the one i'm looking at. I'd be looking at $420 with it in my hands after shipping, FFL transfer and B.G.C.

Then down the road maybe get a beretta 92A1 I'd just like to have one .45 acp reliable handgun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=443687536
Old 09-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a bit different and looks like this one

I didn't pay for mine it came from a family member. We've had it for 10 years now so its an older model. I've put 1000's of rounds and never had any problems.

I've never played with the newer ones so I'm sure things have changed. But like someone said in this thread, what is good for you might not be good for someone else.

Do you have a range that you can rent guns and shoot? Maybe you can rent one and test it out before you buy? Also price does seem a bit high.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
NorthWest Member

Quote:

I didn't pay for mine it came from a family member. We've had it for 10 years now so its an older model. I've put 1000's of rounds and never had any problems.

I've never played with the newer ones so I'm sure things have changed. But like someone said in this thread, what is good for you might not be good for someone else.

Do you have a range that you can rent guns and shoot? Maybe you can rent one and test it out before you buy? Also price does seem a bit high.
Well there's no one - and no range that i know, and have been able to find that had a p90.
The one in the link is actually manufactured in 2007. 3 years before they stopped making them.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I have a few rugers. All good guns. I have an old p89 basically the same gun. It shoots when I want it too and close to where I wanted it to go.

http://guns.findthebest.com/compare/...ger-P89-Series
Old 09-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I have a few Ruger's and really do like them. Never had issues with them but they are not the most comfortable gun in my hands but that's a personal issue for me.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
I have a few rugers. All good guns. I have an old p89 basically the same gun. It shoots when I want it too and close to where I wanted it to go.

http://guns.findthebest.com/compare/...ger-P89-Series
Those reviews are basically what most people say. Seems everyone is stuck on "eats any kind of ammo" lol
Old 09-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88logue View Post
Those reviews are basically what most people say. Seems everyone is stuck on "eats any kind of ammo" lol
Ive shot everything in it. The good stuff and the cheap stuff. It all hits the target. Its chews through ammo as fast as I can load it. Im not competition shooter but I could shoot a person at 20 yards 10 for 10. You wont see a 6" spread but they will all make contact.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
Ive shot everything in it. The good stuff and the cheap stuff. It all hits the target. Its chews through ammo as fast as I can load it. Im not competition shooter but I could shoot a person at 20 years 10 for 10. You wont see a 6" spread but they will all make contact.
only need one shot to connect
Old 09-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 of these. Mine have been flawless, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another - in fact, I bought a P89 to keep them company and no problems with it either.

They're not pretty, but inexpensive and shoot well in my experience.

I wouldn't spend $400 on a used gun, but $325-350 tops.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
I have 2 of these. Mine have been flawless, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another - in fact, I bought a P89 to keep them company and no problems with it either.

They're not pretty, but inexpensive and shoot well in my experience.

I wouldn't spend $400 on a used gun, but $325-350 tops.
Thanks for the input - and i agree im thinking 350 tops, but theres shipping FFL fees which would make it overall 400.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #16
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I would be leery of buying a used gun sight unseen. I prefer to handle it and look it over before handing over any money.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
You're on the right track OP.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
NorthWest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
You're on the right track OP.
Thanks mate -

And I agree I normally never buy used sight unseen. But it seemed if I want this gun I'm gonna have to lol
Old 09-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
NorthWest Member

Went ahead and purchased the p90 -
$325 + 20 shipping. Gun, hogue grips, 2 factory mags, factory manual, factory hard case with lock.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
DasTaco is on a distinguished road
DasTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Are you sure yours isn't a P85? My P85 looks exactly like this picture, and was a very different beast than my P90 that I sold a few months after I bought. I love my P85 but my P90 was a turd. It jammed a lot and felt a "loose" or "floppy" - very hard describe. (both bought new).

I like the golf club analogy - very true. I LOVE my 4th Gen Glock 23 but all my friends hate it.

J88logue, good luck with your 90. That sounds like a nice deal that won't set you back too bad if doesn't work out. I've made some MUCH larger crap gun buys. Now I always check the ranges if I can rent something before I go buy.