Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

ammo storage?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
ammo storage?

lets just say i know this guy with a bunch of ammo and he's worried about long term storage. how would he go about properly storing bulk munitions? do they just need to be airtight? should dessicant be used? they may or may not be buried at some point in the future. he was thinking about using a vacuum packing machine. anyone know the proper protocol?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
lets just say i know this guy with a bunch of ammo and he's worried about long term storage. how would he go about properly storing bulk munitions? do they just need to be airtight? should dessicant be used? they may or may not be buried at some point in the future. he was thinking about using a vacuum packing machine. anyone know the proper protocol?
Kept in a good fire proof safe with a moisture bag or dehumidifier should be good. moisture ruins ammo!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i heard a room with w. fertilizer, diesel and dynamite is a good place! j/k a well ventilated room or box that gets fresh air, thats what my dads FFL book says, just make sure your ass is covered!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
i heard a room with w. fertilizer, diesel and dynamite is a good place! j/k a well ventilated room or box that gets fresh air, thats what my dads FFL book says, just make sure your ass is covered!
lol! he doesn't have any go-boom stuff...just quite a few rifle & pistol cartridges...well, unless you count Black Cats

i'm getting mixed signals here though...better to be sealed & dry, or dry with air movement? no room in the safe, he keeps his BB guns in there.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Dry is the key and a constant temp too if they go from cold to hot all the time the casing can condensate or contract moisture...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
my dad is a FED. FIREARMS DEALER the book says keep it in a weel ventilated box or room where fresh air is available
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Sinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of lightSinister is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Logistics, Beans, Bullets and spare parts..
Name: Mike
Sinister's Tacoma Gallery
FYI: Several sites to check out.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/longtermammo.htm

GOOGLE Is Great..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+storage+of+am
Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #9
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I put mine in ammo cans and then dessicant packs in each one. Then they're in the safe with dessicant in that too.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
Ammo cans with dessicant packs. Ventilated box might be a good idea for a DEALER selling ammo and storing short term, but I would imagine that would suck for long term storage.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Glocktex is on a distinguished road
Glocktex's Tacoma Gallery
Store it in a sealed ammo can and put desiccant packs in it. I sell the small desiccant pack 20 for $5.00. If you need some let me know.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #12

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the tips everyone.

Glocktex: i think i can get the packs local, if not i'll shoot you a PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
HardCase will become famous soon enough

Army: Medic
HardCase's Tacoma Gallery
The ubiquitous cool dry place is best.

It really takes quite a bit to ruin ammo. I've shot WW2 vintage stuff quite recently, and it was fine, and wasn't stored in ammo cans with dessicant packs.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #14

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
well, you know what they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. i take very good care of my firearms, so i think i should do the same for the dope that goes in 'em.