Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

help with a harrington and richardson rifle

Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Huntn57 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Huntn57's Tacoma Gallery
help with a harrington and richardson rifle

I have harrington and richardson 7mm/08. i have a simmons scope on in and it will not shoot a group at all. each shot is like 8 inches away. 3 differnt people have shot it. still same results. so now on the 3rd box of bullets my granddad said it just needs to be bore sighted. it already has tho. any one with any experince with harrington and richardson guns? i dont wanna put a expensive nice scope on a POS gun. when i could just by a new gun. i got this gun for my 13th bday and couldnt find any veiws on the internet. thanks!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Huntn57 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Huntn57's Tacoma Gallery
there is the gun^^^^
Old 11-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
How is the scope mounted onto the gun? Could it be getting some tiny movement in the mounting points between each shot?

I don't think those have a reputation for tack-driving accuracy in any case. At least not the accuracy needed to truly take advantage of the longer range capabilities of the 7-08.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
If it is shooting 8 inch groups, the problem is not bore sighting. Sounds like a faulty scope, or mounts, as someone else said. That is a scope meant for high powered rifles, isn't it? Several years ago a friend tried mounting a .22 rimfire scope on a .22 hornet rifle and had the same problem. The scope could not handle the recoil.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Semper Procrastinus
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Couple of options:
1) Take a pencil and mark the scope where it meets the rings. Shoot it a few times and check to see if the scope is shifting in the rings at all.
2) Swap on a different scope. Borrow one from another gun, from a buddy, etc. See if that improves your accuracy.
3) Does the gun have iron sights? Try a few shots using the irons instead of the scope. See if it still patterns poorly or if the accuracy improves.

These all should let you narrow down whether the problem lies with the gun or the scope.

Also, are you shooting from a bench rest, or free standing? If you're shooting from a lead sled that will help you assess if the accuracy problem lies with the scope or with the gun. If you're shooting it freehand, though, there's also the possibility that you're flinching/wavering when you shoot, which obviously will affect accuracy.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
CzechMate
SilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud of

Name: George
SilverJack's Tacoma Gallery
.22 has a sharper recoil than other calibers. Make sure the scope is matched for the rifle, or you will knock the optics right out of the scope. If in doubt, call the scope maker and confirm. How does it shoot using just the iron sights? I'm assuming you are bench shooting and the rifle is stabilized when your are tuning the scope. If it shoots bad without the scope, I would see if the barrel is bedded correctly or the rifling is out of whack.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I know I would be flinching after shooting 7-08 out of a youth model Handi-Rifle.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
If it's patterning instead of grouping, it's not an issue with being sighted. If 3 newbie shooters are shooting, I expect 3 bad performances. 99% of "bad groups" are because of the shooter. If it's 3 experienced shooters, I look past the shooter and start looking at the hardware.

Having said that, simmons glass is junk. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not holding zero. But start with the basics, remove the scope and tighten the bases. Reinstall the scope, tighten the rings. Sight and try again. If that doesn't work, switch scopes to a known good one. Sight and try again.

H&R (guessing you have a handi) are decent little rifles. I have a couple. The .243 for some reason is a universal lemon, but the other calibers do pretty well.

If none of the above works (in the hands of an experienced shooter) you can contact h&r, they will likely go over it for you.

And for a larger following of the handi and fixes for their various ills, graybeard outdoors is a good forum to join. There are lots of folks intimately familiar with the handi over there.