Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Rechargeable LED flashlights? Best options?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Rechargeable LED flashlights? Best options?

Not really sure if this is the best section to ask about this but.....

Im looking for a new flashlight to keep in my truck...

I have a couple cheapo LED flashlights I keep in my center console that run off of AA batteries, but I want to replace them with something better.

I plan on mounting the light like so -

My first though lead me to a tried and true D cell Maglite. They can be had for pretty cheap on Amazon (sub 50$) but the lights themselves arent rechargeable. Id have to remove the batteries and recharge them and keep a spare set in the truck...

Id prefer a light that plugs right into a 12v+ socket to charge, that way I do not have to remove the batteries to recharge the light. However, Id like too stay around 50$ (same price as the Maglite)

Any suggestions?

:beer:
Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I have the C size LED Maglite in my truck. I litterally haven't changed the batteries since I put them in when I got the light. That was about 3 years ago. Its still just as bright, and we've had cold winters.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Valid point. Never really thought too much about that. The batteries in them do last a pretty long time.

Thanks for the input

:beer:
Old 11-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I have the C size LED Maglite in my truck. I litterally haven't changed the batteries since I put them in when I got the light. That was about 3 years ago. Its still just as bright, and we've had cold winters.
Sounds just like mine. I've used it for a few hours trying to find a deer by buddy shot and it's still going strong.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
If you were to up your budget to around $100 You could get into a streamlight LED with charger that would end up fitting the bill perfectly I believe

Also, Maglight makes a couple of different rechargeable options but theyre up over $100 also. Fullsize, which has a mount and contacts on the flashlight body that fits your needs, and a "tactical" that has a cradle that sits in your cupholder I believe.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Peace Officer currently, US Army "Retired" as well
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the dough and go streamlight or pelican.... You'll thank yourself later.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
That guy...
J1Time is a splendid one to beholdJ1Time is a splendid one to beholdJ1Time is a splendid one to beholdJ1Time is a splendid one to beholdJ1Time is a splendid one to beholdJ1Time is a splendid one to beholdJ1Time is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
J1Time's Tacoma Gallery
We keep Streamlights on a charger in our cars at work. They work awesome and would fit the solution of always being charged. Costs a bit more $100ish

Something like this
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum6790.php
Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #9

I'll have to check out the streamlight stuff.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
It's worth looking into. They have several styles/sizes of rechargeable flashlights in both LED and incandescent...
Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
streamlight polystinger series. i had one (incandescent) for 20 years!! the push on/off button finally broke and i retired it. in 20 years i had ONE battery change. the Snap-On trucks carry the batteries, so it was easy. i used it every night to take the dog on a night walk...and run off raccoons.

i would get the flashlight fixed for free probably, but my wife tossed my charger thinking the thing was obsolete. she is an anti-hoarder.

BUT for me, i simply carry a Surefire Nitrolon. older incandescent model as well. i get the batteries for free, so i went that route. the batteries last forever in storage..and the flashlight is very compact..
Old 12-03-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Rocking the streamlight here. Got the HL in my truck as well as the HP model. And a few stinger/poly stinger around the house and work. I own 6 stingers.