Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
noah farley is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: noah farley
noah farley's Tacoma Gallery
Long range rifles

I am wanting to buy a long range rifle . What is the best to buy thanks guys
Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Barrett .50 cal...
Old 12-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
A little more info would be helpful...

What do you consider long range, 1,000 yards, 500? What will you be shooting at?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
719bloodhound is on a distinguished road
719bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
I shoot a 338 lapua mag and love it
Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
AZtoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Trevor
AZtoy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a custom rifle that originally was a .243, now its a Remington .260, custom stock and barrel. Its a great gun and cartridge. Can hit 700+ yard targets no problem (haven't tried to shoot much farther yet) - even killed a deer at ~550. Stopped it dead in it's tracks.

Ammo is pretty easy to find and not too expensive. I hand reload and bullet selection is great.

If I had the coin for a better scope the rifle would be perfect lol
Old 12-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
noah farley is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: noah farley
noah farley's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry . I guess 500 yards maybe 700 . I want to get into varmint hunting coyota. I was thinking a 7mm will it do the job
Old 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
If you can't duct it...Fuck it!
Traviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraviste is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Traviste's Tacoma Gallery
30 mike mike
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
I shoot a 300 Win Mag with a 4x16x44 Redfield. Whatever you shoot, research the ballistics on the cartridge.

Happy Hunting!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719bloodhound View Post
I shoot a 338 lapua mag and love it

this
Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah farley View Post
Sorry . I guess 500 yards maybe 700 . I want to get into varmint hunting coyota. I was thinking a 7mm will it do the job
that or the trust worthy 308 always does the job
Old 12-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
velillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shedvelillen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
velillen's Tacoma Gallery
For 500-700 yards id go either the tried and trued 308, a 30-06, or one of the 6.5 offerings (6.5 creedmore being top choice)

All depends on how much you want to spend, if you reload, ect. Theres tons of good options (.243, 260, 6.5's, 308, 30-06, 7mm, 7mm-06, 30-06AI, ect)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
Big Si is on a distinguished road
Name: Silas
Big Si's Tacoma Gallery
I hunt yotes with a .223 AR-15. Up to 500 yards I can drop dogs all day long. I can hit targets at 700 yards, but hitting a coyote that far would be tricky. Not impossible though. An AR chambered in 308 would be sick. That's what I should've got.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Barrett .50 cal...
Boom, go big or go home.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
'yotes are 99% of the time taken between 50 and 100 yards. 500 - 700 yards and a target the size of a soup can isn't a newbie friendly combination. A new shooter using a more punishing round usually results in lots of bad form and lots of expensive lead put in lots of the wrong places. The bad form (flinching etc) that you learn the first day of shooting will take... about a decade to unlearn. The good form you can learn in the beginning will stick with you for the rest of your life regardless of caliber. The BEST gun ever made in the hands of a new shooter will perform about the same as the cheapest gun every made in the same hands. But a good shooter can make a mediocre rifle perform very well. Learn to be a good shooter and the rest will fall into place.

A 7mm mag at 500 yards is an elk round, same with a 30-06, .308 7mm-08 etc. WAY more grunt than needed for a 30 pound animal.

Start with a bolt .223, odds are you won't need a new coyote rifle after that. For that game it will last a lifetime.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
22-250 is a hell of a round too. But you need to reload to make it cost effective
Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Barrett .50 cal...
i second this..... you can have a single shot for the meer price of 3K ish
Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #18
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
If you aren't wanting to spend a ton of cash, a 20" 6.5 Grendel AR will perform really well on smaller game out past 500-600 yards(730~ ft.lbf), and will do nicely out as far as 1000 for target duty.

Just for reference, 77gr. MK262 fired from an M4 has that much energy inside 200 yards, and that round is considered lethal to 600 yards.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelivestone View Post
i second this..... you can have a single shot for the meer price of 3K ish
Yea, but what a single shot that is...my go to rifle is a Winchester 94, in the original 30 WCF caliber...however, it got renamed by Remington as the .30-.30 Win.

I also like the 30-06, 7.62 NATO and the Standard Version, .308, all basically the same round, except only the last two fully interchange.

Howard
Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
Im gonna throw some oddballs at ya just from my personal experience.
22-250- Amazing round. Have killed ground hogs at 500+ yards with it. hand loads with a bull barrel and a quality scope does the trick. a bit light weight but a good shot to a yote would drop it and save the pelt. But it must be a good shot.
.270-My personal favorite round. Have used it on everything from prarie dogs to elk and it does the trick. I have only used it out to 400 though but this is from a 1969 Model 70. Shot it just the other day holding half inch groups at 200 and 300 yards. Again, hand loads are the trick.
.256- Another great flat shooting load accurate out to a long way. not as much internal damage as the .270 but still will put down a yote or a deer with no issue, so should be good for coyotes. have never shot a yote with this but I imagine it would be deadly.
.300 WSM. Have shot it out to 1000 yards with sub 1 MOA. Might be a bit big for coyotes but this is probably the most accurate load I have been able to come up with for those kind of distances.
5.56- I have shot out to 600 with my AR and honestly it is more accurate than I am. But prepare to shell out some cash. If you decide to go this route I would call Rock River Arms and tell them what you want and they will build it for you. Amazing triggers on their rifles. Again, hand loads are the ticket.

You can use any of these but if you are truly wanting to shoot 500+ yards you need to learn to load your own rounds IMO. Factory loads just do not have the tolerances required to be effective at these ranges. Any of these, or the other weapons that have been mentioned are effective you just need to bring the weapon to it's true potential with a good scope, some quality rounds, and a nice easy trigger squeeze