Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Getting a Glock! But Which One?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Getting a Glock! But Which One?

So my best man is buying me a Glock for a wedding present. I know he is a great guy. I am trying to figure out a few things.

1) Which caliber?
I am looking between a 9mm and a .45, I just don't know anything about the two calibers as my other guns are .22s and a .380. any insight on this would be awesome.
2) Which model?
3) Standard or Compact?
4) Anyone ever had an issue with a glock?

Background on myself. I am applying to police departments in the Phoenix area currently and plan on being an officer. I am not sure yet whether I would carry the glock while on duty that would depend on what the service weapon is that they issue. I have a ccw but am not worried about being able to conceal my glock. I will being going to a range and test firing as many glocks as i can to make sure I will get one I like but I am looking for some knowledge before I do so.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
If you are in between a 9mm & a .45... I would recomend the .40 in sub compact! But, honestly you're only as good of a shot that your comfort zone allows... My suggestion is to go out and shoot the 9mm, 10mm, .357sig, .40 & .45 to see what round is the most comfortable to you & your shooting style. Good luck & enjoy!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i have both the 22 and 27 models...theyre both .40

ive never had a problem with either...and the 27 is subcompact...EASY to conceal...but a mag extension is a must i think...
Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
not to be bias, but i got my glock 19 as my first handgun and love it. i've also shot the glock 26 (also a 9mm), but didnt like the size. i think you goin the right route by shooting them before you decide. great choice on the glock though, you won't be dissapointed
Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
If you are in between a 9mm & a .45... I would recomend the .40 in sub compact! But, honestly you're only as good of a shot that your comfort zone allows... My suggestion is to go out and shoot the 9mm, 10mm, .357sig, .40 & .45 to see what round is the most comfortable to you & your shooting style. Good luck & enjoy!
x2
Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck! I have had a Glock 36 .45 acp with Tritium sights on order since last November!! Glock has hundreds of thousands of backorders to deal with. Got the 36 so I could pack power on my person!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

something else to consider (right now) is availability of ammunition...make sure you pick a caliber you can, at least to some degree, buy some ammo for it
Old 05-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
something else to consider (right now) is availability of ammunition...make sure you pick a caliber you can, at least to some degree, buy some ammo for it
good point, there is only one place near me to find shells for my 9mm. academy never has them, wal-mart never has them. local gun shop here always buys more than he needs to =).
Old 05-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Krp2nite is on a distinguished road
Krp2nite's Tacoma Gallery
glock 30. 10 round of .45 should ease any situation
Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
capacity is always an issue for me. i don't own a tupperware gun (jk everyone) yet, waiting for a five seven at the moment. 9mm will always have more capacity than a .45, but you lose stopping power. it's a give and take. if you may use this for duty carry, i would talk to some LEO's and get their opinoins. i am also a fan of at least a 4" barrel for better range/accuracy.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
NUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to behold

NUKEWORKER_69's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the 9mm. Not only is it a bit cheaper ammo wise, but the recoil is less than that of .40 or .45. Not only that but you get more rounds in the mag. With the modern day H.P ammo the stoping power or 9mm is identical to that of .40. I have XD's chambered in 9mm to .45 and I sold my .40 due to it being so snappy. Glock makes argualiby one of the best 9mm's avaliable in the "tupperwear" guns, and you will be happy you got it.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Addicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the roughAddicted is a jewel in the rough

Addicted's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a G23 and it is a great gun. I was going to get the G27 (subcompact), but after seeing the two side by side decided the G23 was the one. You may as well get the G23 if you are going to get the G27 as someone suggested, with the extension. Makes them right at the same size. I got mine to conceal carry, and the G23 is easy to conceal. Anyway, my .02 goes for the G23.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
I just got a G23 and it is a great gun. I was going to get the G27 (subcompact), but after seeing the two side by side decided the G23 was the one. You may as well get the G23 if you are going to get the G27 as someone suggested, with the extension. Makes them right at the same size. I got mine to conceal carry, and the G23 is easy to conceal. Anyway, my .02 goes for the G23.
the 27 is still slightly smaller than the 23...and its lighter weight...

i cant fit a 23 in my front pocket...i can fit my 27 in my front jeans pocket
Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
AZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud ofAZsand has much to be proud of
AZsand's Tacoma Gallery
9mm hollowpoints are way plenty for good damamge. And you can have up tu a 33 round magazine going in any 9mm Glock. (it might come in handy to keep a loaded 33 rounder with you on the force).
But for cary (if you care more about that) i love my G26 with 19 round mags (17 + extenders) with a mag sleeve. It's high capacity brutality.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
glock makes a excellent handgun, easy to breakdown and handles the extremes, lightweight. i personally have a glock 17 9mm 17 round clip i got before a went overseas. however after being in a warzone, i just didn't feel safe strapping a 9, that is why am now a 1911 .45 fanatic, trusted my life with it, always will. the increase carrying capacity of a 9mm is compensating for the lack of stopping power. it also depends what you are going to be doing with the weapon. if are just going to use it for leasure, it will be perfect, ammo is realtively inexpensive, low recoil, few moving parts, easy to clean. but if you are going to be using it for personal protection. go with either a 40 or 45, don't waste your time with the pea shooter.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
glock makes a excellent handgun, easy to breakdown and handles the extremes, lightweight. i personally have a glock 17 9mm 17 round clip i got before a went overseas. however after being in a warzone, i just didn't feel safe strapping a 9, that is why am now a 1911 .45 fanatic, trusted my life with it, always will. the increase carrying capacity of a 9mm is compensating for the lack of stopping power. it also depends what you are going to be doing with the weapon. if are just going to use it for leasure, it will be perfect, ammo is realtively inexpensive, low recoil, few moving parts, easy to clean. but if you are going to be using it for personal protection. go with either a 40 or 45, don't waste your time with the pea shooter.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Glock 23. ALL THE WAY.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
good explaination tiger fan. i love it.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
JTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to beholdJTech is a splendid one to behold

JTech's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the input guys. I think the final decision will come down to what feels the best shooting. I am definitely going to talk to some leos I know and see what they use and what they find the most effective. Now I just gotta find time and a place to go test fire them.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
You've definitely got the right idea. Try them all out and see which one is best for you.

If this weapon is for self defense, you want the biggest caliber that YOU can handle (Handle = aim consistently, control recoil, and shoot follow up).

I recently got a Glock 29. It's the 10mm sub compact. An amazing caliber and weapon!