Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

.22 LR subsonic vs air rifle

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
.22 LR subsonic vs air rifle

Here's the dilemma. Rodents are starting to come out of the ground and eating plants/flowers/destorying stuff because they are rodents, and that is what rodents do.

Now, the air rifle that my brother bought 10 years is starting to poop the bed.

Subsonic .22's aren't really that much louder than a pellet gun, so I'm thinking of just getting a ruger 10/22 and shooting subsonics around the house (yes, i realize this is probably illegal because im in the suburbs, but i'm pretty sure air rifles are also illegal.)

The air rifles that I was looking at (RWS .177's and .22's) are pretty close to the price of a 10/22.

It seems to me that the 10/22 is the way to go because I can shoot stuff quietly in my backyard, plus I can go to supersonic stuff for critters down range (.22 LRs are good for about 100 yards or so right?) in places where rifles are more welcomed.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
thekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekidcatcher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thekidcatcher's Tacoma Gallery
If you are just going to shoot the subsonic dont get a 10/22. The 10/22 is a semi automatic rifle and, it is possible, because of the lack of oomph of those bullets it would cause lots of jamming issues. I would go with a simple bolt action 22, those are great for that round, I know from experience
Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
go for a good beeman air rifle with enough fps to take care of the varmints. beeman makes some tough as hell air rifles.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
now thats a badass .22.

i love my remington 597 .22 semi-auto.....but for small varmints and stuff, i still think a good powered air rifle will do just fine.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
now thats a badass .22.

i love my remington 597 .22 semi-auto.....but for small varmints and stuff, i still think a good powered air rifle will do just fine.
yeah, but when the rifle is the same price, why not go for the rimfire you know...yeah ammo will be more expensive (can't believe I just called .22's more expensive ) but I could do more with the rimfire..
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Don't do it, discharging a firearm where it is not legal can get you in some serious trouble. A good pellet gun should do the trick.
im not sure what the laws are here. i've never had anyone complain about me shooting a pellet gun, so im guessing they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and a .22 shooting subsonics.

i'll be seeing a cousin of mine that is a LEO near where I live this weekend that I'll talk to about the prediciment i might get myself into.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
yeah, but when the rifle is the same price, why not go for the rimfire you know...yeah ammo will be more expensive (can't believe I just called .22's more expensive ) but I could do more with the rimfire..
this is true......but honestly, if you are in city limits, you really arent supposed to discharge a firearm at all. on the other hand...................a .22 is alot more versatile, so its your call really.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
im not sure what the laws are here. i've never had anyone complain about me shooting a pellet gun, so im guessing they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and a .22 shooting subsonics.

i'll be seeing a cousin of mine that is a LEO near where I live this weekend that I'll talk to about the prediciment i might get myself into.
Good idea!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
bryan83taco is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, HSC 3/7 SFG (A)
bryan83taco's Tacoma Gallery
Most subsonic ammunition will not provide enough gas to cycle the action on semiautomatic rifles.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
A .22 firearm is waaaaayyyy to much FPE for rodents.

In the airgun forums it is agreed tht 4-12 FPE is all you need on mice and rats.

I used to use an air rifle. it was perfect for long shots. But indoors, still too much as it would exit the rodent and hit the 2x4 or wall behind.

Now I use a scoped .177. It's also more maneuverable for attic work. Use flat/match/wad cutters. It hits them hard and doesn't penetrate. Pointed tend to go through. Flats deposit all their 6 foot pounds right in them. I usualls see the pellet on the other side of the skin, or if it exits, the damage is light to whatever's behind. Mice will exit. Rat will retain the pellet.

The best method I found for indoor or even close outdoor rodent hunting is to, for instance, sit in the garage with the lights off.

If you enter a garage or any space and turn on the lights, they see you and run.

But sit quietly in the dark. The you will hear them. Once you localize the sound, turn the flashlight on at them and they usually freeze.

Then squeeze off. So peaceful and serene, to be with ones own thoughts and to do a form of miniature hunting. Raise the level of difficulty by adding one, two or three beers to the shoot. Though I do not condone drinking and firearms. A pellet pistol in my own home alone is good.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd help if I could, but I can't read my screen...........I did shoot that pesky bug on your avatar on the first post though............anyone there.........helloooo.......
Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
I'd help if I could, but I can't read my screen...........I did shoot that pesky bug on your avatar on the first post though............anyone there.........helloooo.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
A .22 firearm is waaaaayyyy to much FPE for rodents.

In the airgun forums it is agreed tht 4-12 FPE is all you need on mice and rats.

I used to use an air rifle. it was perfect for long shots. But indoors, still too much as it would exit the rodent and hit the 2x4 or wall behind.

Now I use a scoped .177. It's also more maneuverable for attic work. Use flat/match/wad cutters. It hits them hard and doesn't penetrate. Pointed tend to go through. Flats deposit all their 6 foot pounds right in them. I usualls see the pellet on the other side of the skin, or if it exits, the damage is light to whatever's behind. Mice will exit. Rat will retain the pellet.

The best method I found for indoor or even close outdoor rodent hunting is to, for instance, sit in the garage with the lights off.

If you enter a garage or any space and turn on the lights, they see you and run.

But sit quietly in the dark. The you will hear them. Once you localize the sound, turn the flashlight on at them and they usually freeze.

Then squeeze off. So peaceful and serene, to be with ones own thoughts and to do a form of miniature hunting. Raise the level of difficulty by adding one, two or three beers to the shoot. Though I do not condone drinking and firearms. A pellet pistol in my own home alone is good.
I'm not talking about mice and such indoors. I'm talking mainly wabbits and chipmunks that eat my moms (i live at home when im not a school) garden and screw up her flower beds. I'd like the things to go from moving to not moving at all. Whenever I have gotten rabbits and chipmunks, they always spaz out after getting hit and will run into their holes. Yeah, I realize shot placement has a lot to do with this, but the fact that I've killed numerous of each and none died instantly makes me want something bigger than a .177. Maybe I just need an air rifle that has a greater muzzle velocity...

And yeah, I realize a .22 LR is a little much for a chipmunk at 20 yds. But dammit at least they'll die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan83taco View Post
Most subsonic ammunition will not provide enough gas to cycle the action on semiautomatic rifles.
Yeah, looks like if I were to get a .22 I'd be getting a bolt action.

There are a good amount of Savage and Mossberg bolt action 22s for under $200. And like I said earlier, a decent .22 air rifle is at least $200.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
Have you looked into .17HMR rounds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HMR

Compare to .22LR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUK 0H5 View Post
Have you looked into .17HMR rounds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HMR

Compare to .22LR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle
yeah, .17HMRs would be ideal for what I want to do, except the whole "being quiet" part.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm just going to look around for a used CZ 452 Trainer or Lux...and then buy a cheap air rifle that looks similar
Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
I've never shot an HMR so I don't know how loud they are. I just know they are supposed to be good for varmint hunting.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #18
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I'd still go pneumatic. Won't fly far if there's a miss and an air rifle can shoot out to 60 yards easily.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
I'd stay air powered... that way you'll have a lot less legality issues to deal with.

I can't help but think of this though...